collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555700 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2475 on: December 21, 2017, 02:52:43 PM »
I am surprised that there are so many that think someones personal life must be on hold, when they are employed by the greatest team on the planet. He's a Chelsea supporter and, although injured, still goes to more of our matches than he does their matches. I don't give a toss how many millions someone is paid, you can only dedicate so much of your personal life to work related activities before everything around you turns to shit, a healthy balance is required.

He is a professional footballer - as an absolute minimum I'd describe the 90 minutes the club he's captain of are playing to be working rather than personal life.  As a general rule, you'd be hard pushed to find many people who think professional footballers are overworked!
I just don't get the problem here.  No injured players, club captains or not, would be expected to go to every game home and away.  The travelling isn't great use of their time for one thing during rehab.  I don't see why you are going out the way to criticise him for this, it's beyond desperate.

I'm not going out of my way.  It's my opinion.

You seem to have very low expectations of our captain whereas I think that a leader needs to be physically there to show leadership.  Wouldn't it have been nice, for example, if he went in to the dressing room after the abject result against Derby and gave the rest of the team his opinion on what it takes to win championships and what's expected this Saturday rather than be in London having a laugh with his mates, supporting another team?

Do you mean leadership in the sense of his conduct during the visit to Acorns?

How is leadership tied with his conduct during a visit to Acorns? what was his conduct?

He managed not to racially abuse anyone or sleep with a teammates partner (as far as we know)

I'm mnot sure if you're joking or being serious, so perhaps I'll move on.

His leadership and conduct on the visit to Acorns was exemplary by all accounts. He spent a lot of time talking to all the children, families and staff and delayed being moved on to do so.

I think that's good leadership, don't you?

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #2476 on: December 21, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
Pretty sure I remember a pointless ruck here when an injured Darren Bent was spotted shuffling around the Bullring.

I don't care if he spends his injured time strangling chickens in the middle of robin hood island so long as he applies himself properly when it comes to being a footballer.

While I agree with the thrust of your argument I think I would have to draw the line at him choking the chicken on the A34.

I thought choking the chicken in public became a criminal offence a few years ago.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #2477 on: December 21, 2017, 05:34:07 PM »
I am surprised that there are so many that think someones personal life must be on hold, when they are employed by the greatest team on the planet. He's a Chelsea supporter and, although injured, still goes to more of our matches than he does their matches. I don't give a toss how many millions someone is paid, you can only dedicate so much of your personal life to work related activities before everything around you turns to shit, a healthy balance is required.

He is a professional footballer - as an absolute minimum I'd describe the 90 minutes the club he's captain of are playing to be working rather than personal life.  As a general rule, you'd be hard pushed to find many people who think professional footballers are overworked!
I just don't get the problem here.  No injured players, club captains or not, would be expected to go to every game home and away.  The travelling isn't great use of their time for one thing during rehab.  I don't see why you are going out the way to criticise him for this, it's beyond desperate.

You seem to have very low expectations of our captain whereas I think that a leader needs to be physically there to show leadership.  Wouldn't it have been nice, for example, if he went in to the dressing room after the abject result against Derby and gave the rest of the team his opinion on what it takes to win championships and what's expected this Saturday rather than be in London having a laugh with his mates, supporting another team?
You're just being daft.  And hyper critical for the sake of it.  He's got plenty of time to talk to the players about the next game without him laying into them when  they're just waiting to get into the shower. 

Do you think our other injured captains went to every single game home and away?  I've no idea, but I would be amazed if they did.  Do you think Kompany goes to every Man City game, or any other injured captain of other teams for that matter?

So you think it's good that our club captain who should be showing leadership, who should be giving the impression to the players that we are in this together and should be relied on for support should the players need it is watching another team play at the same time as the team he is meant to be captain of is playing?

I'm not particularly angry about it if I'm honest I just don't think having your club captain attending another teams match whilst we play is a good look.
Yeah we know what you think.  It seems few agree with you and you're being unreasonable.  I'll sure you'll find something else to have a dig at him about soon and we can let this one go.

Yes, I hate him i'm not going to deny that and i don't think it's unreasonable to think the club Captain should be attending the games.  The same rules / expectations are different for the club captain than just any other player. 

Regarding the comment about Leicester fans not being annoyed about Albrighton attending our games I don't think people here have an issue with Terry attending the Chelsea match I think it's just that he did whilst Villa were playing at the same time.

But as has been pointed out it's not exactly something that is high on the list to get annoyed about.  I'm certainly not going to use it as a stick to beat him with I just think it's not a good look for the club captain to do that.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #2478 on: December 21, 2017, 06:17:49 PM »

How is leadership tied with his conduct during a visit to Acorns? what was his conduct?

He managed not to racially abuse anyone or sleep with a teammates partner (as far as we know)

His leadership and conduct on the visit to Acorns was exemplary by all accounts. He spent a lot of time talking to all the children, families and staff and delayed being moved on to do so.

I don't think that it's tied to leadership at all.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2479 on: December 22, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »

That says more than I need to then.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2480 on: December 22, 2017, 02:50:59 PM »
I’m worried I’ll end up in another dimension if I attempt to read through these quotathons.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #2481 on: December 22, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »
I’m worried I’ll end up in another dimension if I attempt to read through these quotathons.

Down with that sort of thing

Offline ColinMac

• GM : 12.05.2021
« Reply #2482 on: December 22, 2017, 03:39:01 PM »
Careful now

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #2483 on: December 22, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #2484 on: December 22, 2017, 05:40:57 PM »

That says more than I need to then.

Your leadership style is a lot different to mine then. As a leader I would expect nothing short of exemplary conduct at a hospital visit from all people on my team. I'm looking for a bit more than the basic standards from leaders

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2485 on: December 22, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »
In January 2010, a super-injunction was imposed by a High Court judge preventing the media from reporting allegations that Terry had had a four-month affair in late 2009 with Vanessa Perroncel, the former girlfriend of Wayne Bridge, his former Chelsea and England teammate.[125] The injunction was lifted a week later,[126][127][128] and the British media – especially the tabloid press – covered the rumours in great detail in the days following.[129] The News of the World and the Mail on Sunday subsequently printed apologies to Perroncel for breaching her privacy and stated that the story was "untrue in any case".[130] Perroncel maintains that the alleged affair never took place.[131] The allegations led to then-England manager Fabio Capello removing Terry from the captaincy on 5 February 2010, replacing him with Rio Ferdinand.[92][93][132] Terry was reinstated as captain the following year.[133]

So he didn't actually sleep with a teammate's wife and he was actually found not guilty of racist abuse in a court of law until the FA decided to stick their oar in

The FA commission was also criticised as a "kangaroo court" and the FA for its lack of independence, for failing to disclose all evidence to the police, failing to tape record their interview with key witness Ashley Cole, for lowering the required burden of proof after the incident had taken place,[149] and for punishing Terry for an offence he had already been cleared of in a criminal court,[150][151][152] in contravention of its own rules, which state that verdicts in criminal cases are "presumed to be correct" unless "clear and convincing evidence" to the contrary emerges.[153]

Just saying....

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2486 on: December 22, 2017, 09:13:39 PM »
Good luck defending John Terry's character!

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2487 on: December 22, 2017, 09:17:12 PM »
I just find it annoying that people forget the actual outcome of things and only remember the allegations  8)

Offline stuart445

« Reply #2488 on: December 23, 2017, 08:47:01 AM »
I just find it annoying that people forget the actual outcome of things and only remember the allegations  8)

A person I worked (note the passed tense) did what Terry admitted to doing. he is now still looking for work following my company sacking him.

The only difference between the incident with Terry and my former colleague is one has expensive Lawyers and one hasn't.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #2489 on: December 23, 2017, 03:06:09 PM »
I was more offended by his tackle on James Milner at Wembley when he tried to chop him in half.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal