collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555668 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2445 on: December 20, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
We have the second best defence in the league so he's doing something right. We were pretty handy at the back last year, but I think we've improved, certainly with distribution.

but the defence has been just as solid in the 6 games since he got injured.  The improvements could be down a number of things (including the professionalism he's helped instil. As I said, I'm not in any way saying he's a bad player or that he shouldn't start again as soon as he's fully fit this is specifically an argument against the idea that we've missed him massively and that him coming back will be more important that Kodjia coming back.  Kodjia being out for most of the season will have a huge impact on us because none of the other strikers look capable of scoring the goals we need to challenge at the top.  I think Bruce realised that as well which is why he came back in when he really didn't look ready.
I agree.  Kodjia coming back would probably be more important right now.  But I think the fact we are in the position we are has an awful lot to do with what Terry brought to the party.

Absolutely agree, I think Terry has worked out to be a great signing, I'll admit I was wrong as I expected him to half arse it more and to be "at Chelsea we ..." all the time and he's actually been a model pro and captain.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2446 on: December 20, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
Agreed - Terry has been a model pro

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2447 on: December 20, 2017, 01:26:06 PM »
Agreed - Terry has been a model pro

I agree - the wanker.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2448 on: December 20, 2017, 02:22:27 PM »

I agree - the wanker.

I agree, he's a wanker.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2449 on: December 20, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
I am surprised that there are so many that think someones personal life must be on hold, when they are employed by the greatest team on the planet. He's a Chelsea supporter and, although injured, still goes to more of our matches than he does their matches. I don't give a toss how many millions someone is paid, you can only dedicate so much of your personal life to work related activities before everything around you turns to shit, a healthy balance is required.

He is a professional footballer - as an absolute minimum I'd describe the 90 minutes the club he's captain of are playing to be working rather than personal life.  As a general rule, you'd be hard pushed to find many people who think professional footballers are overworked!
I just don't get the problem here.  No injured players, club captains or not, would be expected to go to every game home and away.  The travelling isn't great use of their time for one thing during rehab.  I don't see why you are going out the way to criticise him for this, it's beyond desperate.

I'm not going out of my way.  It's my opinion.

You seem to have very low expectations of our captain whereas I think that a leader needs to be physically there to show leadership.  Wouldn't it have been nice, for example, if he went in to the dressing room after the abject result against Derby and gave the rest of the team his opinion on what it takes to win championships and what's expected this Saturday rather than be in London having a laugh with his mates, supporting another team?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2450 on: December 20, 2017, 04:01:20 PM »
I am surprised that there are so many that think someones personal life must be on hold, when they are employed by the greatest team on the planet. He's a Chelsea supporter and, although injured, still goes to more of our matches than he does their matches. I don't give a toss how many millions someone is paid, you can only dedicate so much of your personal life to work related activities before everything around you turns to shit, a healthy balance is required.

He is a professional footballer - as an absolute minimum I'd describe the 90 minutes the club he's captain of are playing to be working rather than personal life.  As a general rule, you'd be hard pushed to find many people who think professional footballers are overworked!
I just don't get the problem here.  No injured players, club captains or not, would be expected to go to every game home and away.  The travelling isn't great use of their time for one thing during rehab.  I don't see why you are going out the way to criticise him for this, it's beyond desperate.

You seem to have very low expectations of our captain whereas I think that a leader needs to be physically there to show leadership.  Wouldn't it have been nice, for example, if he went in to the dressing room after the abject result against Derby and gave the rest of the team his opinion on what it takes to win championships and what's expected this Saturday rather than be in London having a laugh with his mates, supporting another team?
You're just being daft.  And hyper critical for the sake of it.  He's got plenty of time to talk to the players about the next game without him laying into them when  they're just waiting to get into the shower. 

Do you think our other injured captains went to every single game home and away?  I've no idea, but I would be amazed if they did.  Do you think Kompany goes to every Man City game, or any other injured captain of other teams for that matter? 

Online Drummond

« Reply #2451 on: December 20, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »

Do you mean leadership in the sense of his conduct during the visit to Acorns?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2452 on: December 20, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »

I haven't seen it but I'm guessing yes. Just because he's done it once though doesn't give him a free pass for the rest of his contract.

Online Drummond

« Reply #2453 on: December 20, 2017, 05:20:45 PM »
He hasn't just done it once. It's just the most recent example.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #2454 on: December 20, 2017, 09:39:45 PM »

How is leadership tied with his conduct during a visit to Acorns? what was his conduct?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2455 on: December 20, 2017, 09:55:31 PM »
When has anyone on here ever been bothered about injured players attending away games before John Terry turned up?

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #2456 on: December 20, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »

How is leadership tied with his conduct during a visit to Acorns? what was his conduct?

He managed not to racially abuse anyone or sleep with a teammates partner (as far as we know)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2457 on: December 20, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »
When has anyone on here ever been bothered about injured players attending away games before John Terry turned up?

Didn’t someone kick off last season when Kodja was out shopping on a match day during one of his injuries?

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2458 on: December 20, 2017, 10:35:02 PM »
It must be bad enough playing and seeing the team close up without having to then actually watch them when you’re not in the team.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:55:24 PM by Chris Jameson »

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2459 on: December 20, 2017, 10:40:15 PM »
Pretty sure I remember a pointless ruck here when an injured Darren Bent was spotted shuffling around the Bullring.

I don't care if he spends his injured time strangling chickens in the middle of robin hood island so long as he applies himself properly when it comes to being a footballer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal