collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269647 times)

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #765 on: October 05, 2017, 05:02:10 PM »
At best, Grealish has been inconsistent, and most of the time he's been disappointing or injured.  Another example of a player being out of the team getting much better.  Considering we bought the player with the most assists at the time in Hourihane, how come he's not able to slot balls through to Hogan, but Grealish will suddenly start?  How many assists has Grealish got in his time with us?
Your assessment is depressingly accurate about all the players mentioned!
Damn you for being so bubble-burstingly objective!

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #766 on: October 05, 2017, 05:26:34 PM »
Back when Grealish had his injury, Bruce commented that he wanted to focus our attacking play through him. If that's the case, Hogan almost certainly would have benefited and, therefore, may well do when Grealish returns.

Grealish has been terrible ever since Sherwood left, hard to see how he would make any of our strikers lift their game.

I think he'd work well with Davis in the same way he did with Benteke.  In fact, I think he'd offer more supply to our forwards than any of the current midfield.

I don't see anything in Grealish that says he's better than Hourihane.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #767 on: October 05, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
Back when Grealish had his injury, Bruce commented that he wanted to focus our attacking play through him. If that's the case, Hogan almost certainly would have benefited and, therefore, may well do when Grealish returns.

Grealish has been terrible ever since Sherwood left, hard to see how he would make any of our strikers lift their game.

I think he'd work well with Davis in the same way he did with Benteke.  In fact, I think he'd offer more supply to our forwards than any of the current midfield.

I agree. Him actually coming in to play in a confident and competent team, as opposed to a shambles might help him somewhat too.

He's the catalyst, the fluid that makes a good team great. If he gets going he's the best player in this division by a country mile.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #768 on: October 05, 2017, 10:30:12 PM »
The trouble with Grealish is that I think he practically HAS to play in a 4-3-3 and that just doesn’t seem to suit us.  He’s a very talented lad, but when he’s not on his game we might as well start with 10 men.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #769 on: October 05, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »
The trouble with Grealish is that I think he practically HAS to play in a 4-3-3 and that just doesn’t seem to suit us.  He’s a very talented lad, but when he’s not on his game we might as well start with 10 men.

I don't think he'd struggle on either flank in the current set up, but you're right in that he's much better in that formation, behind the centre forward.

I do think though having Davis to play off would could be a big plus for him. His runs would be found and vice versa.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #770 on: October 06, 2017, 12:52:26 AM »

Not really like-for-like those two though.  Grealish would play in a bit more of an advanced position than Hourihane. 

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #771 on: October 06, 2017, 01:03:23 AM »
Hourihane does not have the same type of ability as Grealish to take players on and look to play strikers in.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #772 on: October 06, 2017, 02:07:13 AM »
MON on Hogan

Relevant bit "He has the ability in the box to forge a chance for himself and score,” said O'Neill. “I think that he can improve greatly on his hold-up play outside the penalty area and I have said that to him. But I definitely think that he is a goalscorer,” he added."

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/10/05/martin-oneill-shares-the-honest-message-he-has-given-to-aston-vi/

Whatever one thinks of MON I think this is pretty spot on where Hogan should improve.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #773 on: October 06, 2017, 06:07:50 AM »

Not really like-for-like those two though.  Grealish would play in a bit more of an advanced position than Hourihane. 

Why though? Last time we played Hourihane in an advanced position he scored a hat trick. Grealish has never looked close to being that prolific in front of goal.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #774 on: October 06, 2017, 07:22:42 AM »

Why though? Last time we played Hourihane in an advanced position he scored a hat trick. Grealish has never looked close to being that prolific in front of goal.

You're right about the second point, but I don't think Hourihane played particularly far forward in that game, at least in terms of his starting positions - he just had some freedom to make runs from deep, whereas before that, he had generally come off as being apprehensive about advancing past the halfway line, whether due to himself or due to tactical instruction.

Comparatively, Jack's always looked comfortable starting well up the pitch, but then dropping back and looking to receive the ball around the edge of the box. That being said, I don't think we need to shoehorn him in so long as the team's performing well, but he's the ideal candidate to get on the end of some of Terry's more progressive passes - and Hourihane's as well, but, again, it doesn't seem like we're set up for the two midfielders to do anything other than playing tidy sideways and backward passes.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #775 on: October 06, 2017, 08:07:06 AM »

Hourihane played in a three man midfield that game and as mentioned above, was given licence to push on from there.  I don't think you could play Grealish in a three man midfield really.  If we are going to play a 'number 10' type of player then I would like to see O'Hare given a chance.  From what I have seen of him, I think kid has definitely got something about him and puts himself about.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #776 on: October 06, 2017, 08:23:31 AM »
The best I have seen Grealish play for two seasons was the second half against Brighton at home last season behind Davis.  Grealish is at his best in broken play and at his least effective against the parked bus.  Davis mixes it with the opposition defenders, knocking them our of their standard clearance routines.  Grealish can make a defensive stumble or a miskick into an attack.  For me he is the antidote to the Westwood crossfield compulsion.  Be good to see him back in a team with Davis in it.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #777 on: October 06, 2017, 10:13:06 AM »
Oh Brian, just the mention of Westwood is a footballing black cloud!!  I agree on Grealish too.  I want to see him play in this 'new' team as he has definitely has more than enough ability.  As to who to drop, that is tricky given the sides results lately.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #778 on: October 06, 2017, 11:47:41 AM »
MON on Hogan

Relevant bit "He has the ability in the box to forge a chance for himself and score,” said O'Neill. “I think that he can improve greatly on his hold-up play outside the penalty area and I have said that to him. But I definitely think that he is a goalscorer,” he added."

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/10/05/martin-oneill-shares-the-honest-message-he-has-given-to-aston-vi/

Whatever one thinks of MON I think this is pretty spot on where Hogan should improve.

Agreed. Hogan needs more strings to his bow. Good managers will quickly identify his strengths and weaknesses and set up accordingly. I like him as a player but at the moment he offers most to the team as a sub. Adding other aspects to his play should not be beyond him, it's just a question of working hard on them as he already has the fundamentals.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #779 on: October 06, 2017, 12:50:40 PM »
I don’t think he offers much as a sub either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal