collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269664 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #750 on: October 04, 2017, 01:03:12 PM »
I'm not so sure about him being a panic buy. There's not much evidence of that really to be honest. I think he's a very good player as well. It's just not happened for him here yet unfortunately.

1 league goal in twenty odd appearances is a pathetic return, whatever the mitigating circumstances.

It's not been a good return no, but it still doesn't mean it was a panic buy.

How do you think Bruce intended to utilise him?

I don't know but I still don't think it was a buy out of desperation. I do like him coming off the bench though and if he wasn't here, our other striker would just be Gabby.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #751 on: October 04, 2017, 03:59:07 PM »
I'm not so sure about him being a panic buy. There's not much evidence of that really to be honest. I think he's a very good player as well. It's just not happened for him here yet unfortunately.

1 league goal in twenty odd appearances is a pathetic return, whatever the mitigating circumstances.

It's not been a good return no, but it still doesn't mean it was a panic buy.

How do you think Bruce intended to utilise him?

I don't know but I still don't think it was a buy out of desperation. I do like him coming off the bench though and if he wasn't here, our other striker would just be Gabby.

To be honest Gabby has offered a lot more (1 goal, 1 assist) than Hogan this season even in his fleeting appearances. Hogan seems the classic misfit.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #752 on: October 04, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »
Misfit, yes.  Talentless, no.

He's not the complete striker by any stretch of the imagination but he has two real strengths, vision and a burst of pace to find space in behind defences and a talent for knowing where the goal is.

The first of these is almost completely useless the way Bruce has us set up.  He needs Davis alongside him and creative midfielders behind him.

The second of these we'll only see the benefit of if he's given a run of games.  He's clearly rusty when he comes on because he hardly ever plays but then you can't justify playing him if he's not scoring goals because he does nothing else.

I think flogging him before his value drops too much more would be best for everyone.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #753 on: October 04, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »
We overpaid for him and his market value has dipped

I'd be surprised if anyone would pay £5-6m+ for him at the moment so we may as well keep him and see if he can regain some form

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #754 on: October 05, 2017, 08:41:01 AM »
Misfit, yes.  Talentless, no.

He's not the complete striker by any stretch of the imagination but he has two real strengths, vision and a burst of pace to find space in behind defences and a talent for knowing where the goal is.

The first of these is almost completely useless the way Bruce has us set up.  He needs Davis alongside him and creative midfielders behind him.

The second of these we'll only see the benefit of if he's given a run of games.  He's clearly rusty when he comes on because he hardly ever plays but then you can't justify playing him if he's not scoring goals because he does nothing else.

I think flogging him before his value drops too much more would be best for everyone.

Agree with pretty much all of that Adam, but I'm not sure he has that real burst of pace that you mention.  I too would like to see him partnered with Davis as well, as it is abundantly clear that he can't really play up front on his own.  From the brief snippets I've seen of them playing together, he seems to have a decent understanding with O'Hare and might be suited to playing with Grealish as well. 

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #755 on: October 05, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
I keep the faith with him. Still reckon he will come good.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #756 on: October 05, 2017, 10:56:54 AM »
How is he going to come good?  He had his chance in the team when Kodjia was out for ages, and didn't take it.  Now either Bruce doesn't know what to do with him, or Hogan isn't very good and was massively over-priced.  Either way, Kodjia and Davis are playing well, and god forbid one of them gets an injury, how is Hogan going to come good?  Brentford apparently based their whole way of playing around him, and Bruce just isn't going to do that, or doesn't know how.  A baffling signing.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #757 on: October 05, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »
I'd sell him in the summer and recoup whatever money we can on him. Every year will see his value drop less and less. He won't be forcing himself in to the side any time soon, how could he? What does he bring to the table that we need?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #758 on: October 05, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »
How is he going to come good?  He had his chance in the team when Kodjia was out for ages, and didn't take it.  Now either Bruce doesn't know what to do with him, or Hogan isn't very good and was massively over-priced.  Either way, Kodjia and Davis are playing well, and god forbid one of them gets an injury, how is Hogan going to come good?  Brentford apparently based their whole way of playing around him, and Bruce just isn't going to do that, or doesn't know how.  A baffling signing.

Back when Grealish had his injury, Bruce commented that he wanted to focus our attacking play through him. If that's the case, Hogan almost certainly would have benefited and, therefore, may well do when Grealish returns.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #759 on: October 05, 2017, 01:01:33 PM »
I'd stick with the guy as well. He'll play his part at some point this season.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #760 on: October 05, 2017, 01:11:06 PM »
Agree with pretty much all of that Adam, but I'm not sure he has that real burst of pace that you mention.

I'm not talking Gabby-style fast, but he has enough over 10 yards to get away from that last defender and give himself enough room for an unchallenged shot.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #761 on: October 05, 2017, 01:27:19 PM »

Back when Grealish had his injury, Bruce commented that he wanted to focus our attacking play through him. If that's the case, Hogan almost certainly would have benefited and, therefore, may well do when Grealish returns.

At best, Grealish has been inconsistent, and most of the time he's been disappointing or injured.  Another example of a player being out of the team getting much better.  Considering we bought the player with the most assists at the time in Hourihane, how come he's not able to slot balls through to Hogan, but Grealish will suddenly start?  How many assists has Grealish got in his time with us?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #762 on: October 05, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »
I'd sell him in the summer and recoup whatever money we can on him. Every year will see his value drop less and less. He won't be forcing himself in to the side any time soon, how could he? What does he bring to the table that we need?

I think we might have to consider it in January to be honest, maybe as part of a swap for another striker.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #763 on: October 05, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »

Grealish has been terrible ever since Sherwood left, hard to see how he would make any of our strikers lift their game.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #764 on: October 05, 2017, 04:10:44 PM »

Grealish has been terrible ever since Sherwood left, hard to see how he would make any of our strikers lift their game.

I think he'd work well with Davis in the same way he did with Benteke.  In fact, I think he'd offer more supply to our forwards than any of the current midfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal