collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269569 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #480 on: August 06, 2017, 12:52:29 PM »
I said last week that if the balls were put to him low and hard and frequently he could score 25 goals a season.  Because I have never seen him given the ball low and hard and frequently in the box (other than the excellent goal he scored in Germany) I have never seen him in the flesh justify the money spent on him.

As I've said before I'm not convinced that Bruce picked Hogan or Hourihane, I just don't see how either of them fit into how he plays.

Are you suggesting someone else signed them, like Xia perhaps?

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #481 on: August 06, 2017, 01:03:51 PM »
Paul McGrath valued his performance yesterday tweeting:
Brilliant Scott Hogan ran yourself into the ground great example #Respect.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #482 on: August 06, 2017, 01:15:42 PM »
He did. He will, however, not succeed until we do something about the fact that every one (literally all) of our attacking midfield/wide attackers/secondary strikers are crap. Grealish, Bacuna and Lansbury because they don't apply themselves and are half arsed and Green, Adomah, Hourahane and Bjarnnason because they don't have the quality. What Onomah and Elhomody do remains to be seen...

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #483 on: August 06, 2017, 01:19:50 PM »
He did. He will, however, not succeed until we do something about the fact that every one (literally all) of our attacking midfield/wide attackers/secondary strikers are crap. Grealish, Bacuna and Lansbury because they don't apply themselves and are half arsed and Green, Adomah, Hourahane and Bjarnnason because they don't have the quality. What Onomah and Elhomody do remains to be seen...

What's this piss about not having the quality? One thing to say they haven't played well at Villa so far, but Adomah was good enough to be first-choice at a team that actually got promoted from this league, and Hourihane was the best midfielder in this league until he signed for us, you don't set up 10 goals in half a season if you don't have the requisite quality. And Green's played half a dozen games in the first team and he's 19 years old.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #484 on: August 06, 2017, 01:45:10 PM »
I said last week that if the balls were put to him low and hard and frequently he could score 25 goals a season.  Because I have never seen him given the ball low and hard and frequently in the box (other than the excellent goal he scored in Germany) I have never seen him in the flesh justify the money spent on him.

As I've said before I'm not convinced that Bruce picked Hogan or Hourihane, I just don't see how either of them fit into how he plays.

Are you suggesting someone else signed them, like Xia perhaps?

Round at a guess.  I might be wrong but I honestly don't think Bruce has watched them both play and thought they're exactly the players I need to get promotion because he seemingly has no idea how to play them.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #485 on: August 06, 2017, 02:35:32 PM »
Bruce said when he signed him that he'd watched him at Rochdale and Brentford.

Online paul_e

« Reply #486 on: August 06, 2017, 02:47:52 PM »

Which i don't believe because if that's true then he wouldn't have signed him to play the role he is.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #487 on: August 06, 2017, 03:00:45 PM »
Bruce is a liar then.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #488 on: August 06, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »

What's this piss about not having the quality? One thing to say they haven't played well at Villa so far, but Adomah was good enough to be first-choice at a team that actually got promoted from this league, and Hourihane was the best midfielder in this league until he signed for us, you don't set up 10 goals in half a season if you don't have the requisite quality. And Green's played half a dozen games in the first team and he's 19 years old.

What a fucking half cocked, bag of shite argument that is. I couldn't give a shite what they did before they came here, they've not done it for us, that's all I'm bothered about. So, what you're saying is, every signing we've made (or anyone else in the history of football for that matter) throughout our history who had let's say 50 good games for someone else, but then not done it for their new club must really be a quality player and should be considered so for the rest of their career? So you would consider that because Tony Cascarino scored countless goals for Millwall it was unfair to describe him as a cart horse after he joined us? What about Mark Kinsella, starred in a World Cup for Ireland and looked like a park player after he came here? Bosko Balaban was a bright young prospect, must have had something before we signed him. I could go on and on...

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #489 on: August 06, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »
Bruce is a liar then.
Or he chucks players together and hope it works out as in " me I don't do tactics".

Online paul_e

« Reply #490 on: August 06, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »
Bruce is a liar then.

Pretty much everyone accepts that when Sherwood said similar things about players only to change his mind that he was lying so why can't Bruce be.

To flip it round though do you think Hogan fits in with how we're playing and do you think he's ever been played in this setup before?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #491 on: August 06, 2017, 03:18:56 PM »

Which i don't believe because if that's true then he wouldn't have signed him to play the role he is.

Bruce specifically said he'd watched him at Rochdale, came close to signing him, regretted not doing so and didn't want to make that mistake again.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #492 on: August 06, 2017, 03:34:24 PM »

What a fucking half cocked, bag of shite argument that is. I couldn't give a shite what they did before they came here, they've not done it for us, that's all I'm bothered about. So, what you're saying is, every signing we've made (or anyone else in the history of football for that matter) throughout our history who had let's say 50 good games for someone else, but then not done it for their new club must really be a quality player and should be considered so for the rest of their career? So you would consider that because Tony Cascarino scored countless goals for Millwall it was unfair to describe him as a cart horse after he joined us? What about Mark Kinsella, starred in a World Cup for Ireland and looked like a park player after he came here? Bosko Balaban was a bright young prospect, must have had something before we signed him. I could go on and on...

Think you should take a look in the mirror at your own argument, mate.

I'm saying it's silly to suggest so conclusively that a player lacks the requisite quality and will continue to lack that quality just because they've played a stretch of ordinary games, and generally not been helped by the circumstances. Been a bit longer than that with Adomah, but he still literally set up more goals than anyone else in the league last season except for Hourihane, the other fella that's been mentioned. Assists aren't everything but, again, you'd think someone short of the requisite quality wouldn't even sniff those kinds of numbers.

Those examples you've picked, you're working with the benefit of hindsight.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #493 on: August 06, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »
I like him. I think he'll end up our top scorer.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #494 on: August 06, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
I thought he was alright yesterday, worked very hard and didn't quite get the break. Couple of goals and I think he'll do well this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal