collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:25:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 244478 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2895 on: October 10, 2016, 09:30:33 PM »
Like I said, you're just suggesting what will happen in 12 months time. He might come in and do a very good job, he might not. Let's face it, not many on here expected us to be discussing a new manager after 11 games.

well yeah. If bruce fails to do owt he may not get that himself

But you could say that about any manager. Dyche might come in and be a massive flop.

of course but i'd hope we wouldn't be employing him solely to get promotion which seem to be Bruce's only selling point on here at least

What else would we be employing him for?? The clubs only aim at the moment is to get promotion

Don't agree. Our aim is to get promotion and stay up

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2896 on: October 10, 2016, 09:33:50 PM »
Which Bruce is pretty well qualified to achieve.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #2897 on: October 10, 2016, 09:34:37 PM »
is he?

Offline mike

« Reply #2898 on: October 10, 2016, 09:36:04 PM »
Brian, I agree about Rowett 100%, but do you really think he'd get the backing from fans coming straight from there? Bruce left them ten years ago and he's still viewed as the anti-Christ by many. The 'unproven/club too big' tag would be thrown at both Wagner and Johnson and I'll be honest and confess I don't know which Smith you refer to!  I wanted Warnock, which was obviously not well received but it's all about opinions...

EDIT - Just realised.  Dean Smith.

I really don't think Bruce's previous employer is anything to do with it. It's just underwhelming. And as many have said, stealing something of value from them would be considered a victory. I think Rowett would be an immediate hero just for leaving them in the lurch and coming to us. Sadly, he won't be coming.

So it's not about Bruce's former employers, but taking their manager off them would be a victory? A slight contradiction there I think.

Nope. The reason Bruce is not my choice has nowt to do with Blues, nor has the fact that Rowett IS my choice. The fact Rowett would be coming from them is an incidental and irrelevant bonus.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #2899 on: October 10, 2016, 09:37:07 PM »
is he?
Yes, he did it with Blues and Hull

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2900 on: October 10, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »
Like I said, you're just suggesting what will happen in 12 months time. He might come in and do a very good job, he might not. Let's face it, not many on here expected us to be discussing a new manager after 11 games.

well yeah. If bruce fails to do owt he may not get that himself

But you could say that about any manager. Dyche might come in and be a massive flop.

of course but i'd hope we wouldn't be employing him solely to get promotion which seem to be Bruce's only selling point on here at least

What else would we be employing him for?? The clubs only aim at the moment is to get promotion

Don't agree. Our aim is to get promotion and stay up

So you'd like Harry Redknapp who has relegated 3 clubs?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #2901 on: October 10, 2016, 09:39:37 PM »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2902 on: October 10, 2016, 09:40:29 PM »
Paul e, without wanting to add to the already mass quotathon (and at the request of PWS), that's not quite what sick beggar said. He said it would be pointless even if he got us up because we wouldn't progress the season after, so I wasn't deliberately misunderstanding anything.

Yeah, hands up it was me that seems to have misunderstood and he's taken the argument somewhere I wouldn't have.  If Bruce gets us up this season then he'll have proven worthwhile, I just don't think he will.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2903 on: October 10, 2016, 09:40:53 PM »
Brian, I agree about Rowett 100%, but do you really think he'd get the backing from fans coming straight from there? Bruce left them ten years ago and he's still viewed as the anti-Christ by many. The 'unproven/club too big' tag would be thrown at both Wagner and Johnson and I'll be honest and confess I don't know which Smith you refer to!  I wanted Warnock, which was obviously not well received but it's all about opinions...

EDIT - Just realised.  Dean Smith.

I really don't think Bruce's previous employer is anything to do with it. It's just underwhelming. And as many have said, stealing something of value from them would be considered a victory. I think Rowett would be an immediate hero just for leaving them in the lurch and coming to us. Sadly, he won't be coming.

So it's not about Bruce's former employers, but taking their manager off them would be a victory? A slight contradiction there I think.

Nope. The reason Bruce is not my choice has nowt to do with Blues, nor has the fact that Rowett IS my choice. The fact Rowett would be coming from them is an incidental and irrelevant bonus.

You can't say it would be a victory and a irrelevant bonus.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2904 on: October 10, 2016, 09:46:35 PM »
Paul e, without wanting to add to the already mass quotathon (and at the request of PWS), that's not quite what sick beggar said. He said it would be pointless even if he got us up because we wouldn't progress the season after, so I wasn't deliberately misunderstanding anything.

Yeah, hands up it was me that seems to have misunderstood and he's taken the argument somewhere I wouldn't have.  If Bruce gets us up this season then he'll have proven worthwhile, I just don't think he will.
I don't think many people think it's very realistic this season.  But he would seem to be a pretty good bet to achieve it next year if not this.  Conversely, if they would come which they won't, Wagner & Johnson would seem huge gambles which if they go wrong could set us back another few seasons.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2905 on: October 10, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »
Chris Hughton would have been the best choice - a bit of the old and a bit of the new - and has a record for building promotion teams and teams that stick in the Prem.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2906 on: October 10, 2016, 10:05:17 PM »
Dyche is decent but won't leave Burnley. Hughton is a great shout and I'd take him ahead of Steve Bruce, although I'm happy enough with Bruce to be fair.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #2907 on: October 10, 2016, 10:21:57 PM »
Marcelino

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2908 on: October 10, 2016, 10:25:41 PM »
I don't think many people think it's very realistic this season.  But he would seem to be a pretty good bet to achieve it next year if not this.  Conversely, if they would come which they won't, Wagner & Johnson would seem huge gambles which if they go wrong could set us back another few seasons.

I haven't given any names so I won't comment on them because that's not really ever been my point.  The point I'm making is the same one I made when we took the easy option and appointed Sherwood, just because the first option you see looks ok it doesn't mean you should just stop looking.  As far as I see it Bruce is a known, we know roughly how he'll play, we know roughly the players he'll look at in the window and we know roughly where his limit is.  All of those added together mean we know he's not likely to be part of a long term plan.  So, if he comes in, he can only be judged on the very short term and for me that means promotion he's a success, anything else and he'll have failed (even if we finish 3rd and get a play off final).  That might come across as incredibly harsh but I think it's the only way we can judge someone who's only 'fit' for us is that we need to be promoted and he has experience of getting teams promoted.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2909 on: October 10, 2016, 10:45:28 PM »
That's a bit ridiculous.  Pep would have his work cut out getting us promoted this season.  But if he promotes us next season - still a failure?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal