collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by robleflaneur
[Today at 08:46:05 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Smithy
[Today at 08:46:03 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[Today at 08:44:18 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:43:53 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:33:45 PM]

A few days in Athens by Russ aka Big Nose
[Today at 08:26:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by DeeBoy1
[Today at 08:23:42 PM]

Kits 24/25 by Russ aka Big Nose
[Today at 08:23:01 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by robleflaneur
[Today at 08:46:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Smithy
[Today at 08:46:03 PM]

Re: Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[Today at 08:44:18 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:43:53 PM]

Re: Past Managers, Love or Hate? by brontebilly
[Today at 08:42:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by trinityoap
[Today at 08:42:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 08:42:26 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 08:41:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245134 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2550 on: October 09, 2016, 07:50:41 PM »
With Round having a big say, do we think Bruce with Phil Neville as number 2 is possible with the latter and Xia starting to follow each other on twitter? We would not give the top job to Neville would we?

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2551 on: October 09, 2016, 07:52:26 PM »
HOOF!!

Even if that were the case, if hoofing the ball up quicker led to the ball ending up in the opponents net more often I'd take it, certainly above the abstract unthreatening passing moves we've been treated to for what seems like forever.

However  if the forward you choose to put the hoofs away is Emile Heskey.....well i seem to remember a former ex-villa manager tried a similar experiment around about the time he/we went to shite.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #2552 on: October 09, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
I'm happy to say I like Steve Bruce, quite liked him as a player, always comes across as a decent bloke in interviews, remember him telling the BBC reporter that they would struggle to get any highlights out of a 0-0 against Villa and I also think he's a decent manager.

Apart from liking him as a player, I can't argue with that. You said it; he's 'decent'. Nothing more, just decent and decent seems to be the height of our ambitions. No doubt some time in the future he'll be replaced by David Moyes. He's decent too. And while we're at it, credit to Pullis, he's done a decent job keeping the Baggies up.

Aston Villa. Decent. I guess if that's the plan it shouldn't be too hard to achieve.

Its not what I want but my word I will take decent right now.

Offline Whiney MacWhineface

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #2553 on: October 09, 2016, 07:53:20 PM »
I'm utterly underwhelmed by Bruce, but if he can make us a team, and a team that can win I'll be content for the first time in a long while, and frankly I don't give a fuck if that team plays like Wimbledon 88 just now.

I understand this is a football forum and a place for opinions, but for goodness' sake stop the fucking snivelling.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2554 on: October 09, 2016, 07:54:12 PM »
If we're the biggest club in the division, how come we don't get the biggest home attendances? And how come we can't beat smaller clubs? After all, bigger clubs than us usually have no trouble giving us a whacking.

I reckon we should put this 'big club' thing to bed until we start acting like one on the pitch. And that means, y'know, winning some games.

Attendances are an indicator of club size, but not the only one. I don't think Brighton are bigger than Leeds, Dortmund are bigger than Bayern Munich or Napoli are bigger than Juventus.

As for why we lose, it's because we are shit. As people on this thread, for some reason, seem to revel in reminding us.

Our current position doesn't affect the fact that we are a big club and have been since the 1880s.

To have a team capable of helping us live up to our history and size, we need the best manager possible. I remain unconvinced that said man is Steve Bruce.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2555 on: October 09, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »
Frank Lampard wants a new club to manage, according to Twitter.
I think at this point I'd go with Bruce.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2556 on: October 09, 2016, 07:56:19 PM »
Wagner- granted looks very very good.  Ruled himself out though.  Not much we can do. 44 games in management is very very limited.

Very very limited? He had 4 seasons managing Dortmund II. Granted it's not the Championship but it is looked upon as one of the best schools around, much like Barcelona where a certain manager only had one season taking care of their B team before moving up to the first team. He did a rather good job. I'm not comparing Wagner with Pep Guardiola but you get the point.

We could learn a lot from Huddersfield. Their chairman admitted it was a risk but they had a plan and have kept to it. It's no wonder they wouldn't even consider letting us talk to Wagner. It may not end up with promotion as they're working on a tiny budget (£4m) and there are plenty around that can outspend them. But still, it's a plan and a bloody smart one in my book.

It is. But then stepping up to have Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves et al at the height of their powers is like playing on cheat mode. So is going to Bayern and City. Hes a great manager, but had resources no other has.

Wagner may be brilliant but 44 games is limited at a smallish club and previously been manager of a b team doesn't make him any more suitable to managing our basket case.

I think for someone like Wagner to be a success he needs a pre season rather than coming in halfway through and completely ripping things up if you look, it was the same for Garde imo.

Appointing Bruce to me shows we haven't given up on this season and nor should we, top 2 looks out of reach but play offs is still a possibility if we can win a game or two soon.

Online spangley1812

« Reply #2557 on: October 09, 2016, 08:00:18 PM »
If we're the biggest club in the division, how come we don't get the biggest home attendances? And how come we can't beat smaller clubs? After all, bigger clubs than us usually have no trouble giving us a whacking.

I reckon we should put this 'big club' thing to bed until we start acting like one on the pitch. And that means, y'know, winning some games.

Attendances are an indicator of club size, but not the only one. I don't think Brighton are bigger than Leeds, Dortmund are bigger than Bayern Munich or Napoli are bigger than Juventus.

As for why we lose, it's because we are shit. As people on this thread, for some reason, seem to revel in reminding us.

Our current position doesn't affect the fact that we are a big club and have been since the 1880s.

To have a team capable of helping us live up to our history and size, we need the best manager possible. I remain unconvinced that said man is Steve Bruce.

Mate we need to get the team sorted and organised we are in freefall currently and if we don't we could go down again when we get back in the Prem League we can worry about "living up to our history and size"

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2558 on: October 09, 2016, 08:03:34 PM »

He is a comfortable man, a wealthy man, a 55 year old man, living in his comfort zone, soon to have the added comfort of a Villa contract in his pocket.

We talk rightly and at length about motivating the players.  What is going to motivate Steve Bruce?

He's lost half his body weight, had a haircut, applies makeup and is in his mid 50s.

Has he bought a soft top/motorcycle too?

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2559 on: October 09, 2016, 08:04:04 PM »
I think we should forget how big we are and start concentrating 100 percent on how shit we are. That way we might be able to live up to the 'big club' tag one day.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2560 on: October 09, 2016, 08:07:49 PM »
Can't even find odds for Phil Neville! Disappointing.

With the Steve Round/ Keith Wyness history, it might be the left field shout we have not considered.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2561 on: October 09, 2016, 08:08:16 PM »
So no one knows what his playing style is or his football philosophy?
I am far from overwhelmed by Bruce but i dont get why people are so against him.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2562 on: October 09, 2016, 08:08:24 PM »
Wagner- granted looks very very good.  Ruled himself out though.  Not much we can do. 44 games in management is very very limited.

Very very limited? He had 4 seasons managing Dortmund II. Granted it's not the Championship but it is looked upon as one of the best schools around, much like Barcelona where a certain manager only had one season taking care of their B team before moving up to the first team. He did a rather good job. I'm not comparing Wagner with Pep Guardiola but you get the point.

We could learn a lot from Huddersfield. Their chairman admitted it was a risk but they had a plan and have kept to it. It's no wonder they wouldn't even consider letting us talk to Wagner. It may not end up with promotion as they're working on a tiny budget (£4m) and there are plenty around that can outspend them. But still, it's a plan and a bloody smart one in my book.

It is. But then stepping up to have Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves et al at the height of their powers is like playing on cheat mode. So is going to Bayern and City. Hes a great manager, but had resources no other has.

Wagner may be brilliant but 44 games is limited at a smallish club and previously been manager of a b team doesn't make him any more suitable to managing our basket case.

I think for someone like Wagner to be a success he needs a pre season rather than coming in halfway through and completely ripping things up if you look, it was the same for Garde imo.

Appointing Bruce to me shows we haven't given up on this season and nor should we, top 2 looks out of reach but play offs is still a possibility if we can win a game or two soon.

That makes more sense, SHQ. If Bruce can get us up this season, perfect. If he needs two, he's not the right appointment for me. I'd rather we gave a manager that could build something for the next four, five years, changing us from top to bottom whilst creating something special that we all can believe in. Some 'decent' football would help too.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2563 on: October 09, 2016, 08:09:52 PM »

He is a comfortable man, a wealthy man, a 55 year old man, living in his comfort zone, soon to have the added comfort of a Villa contract in his pocket.

We talk rightly and at length about motivating the players.  What is going to motivate Steve Bruce?

He's lost half his body weight, had a haircut, applies makeup and is in his mid 50s.

Has he bought a soft top/motorcycle too?
definately dyed his hair, watch out for leather trousers.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2564 on: October 09, 2016, 08:11:55 PM »
I'm utterly underwhelmed by Bruce, but if he can make us a team, and a team that can win I'll be content for the first time in a long while, and frankly I don't give a fuck if that team plays like Wimbledon 88 just now.

I understand this is a football forum and a place for opinions, but for goodness' sake stop the fucking snivelling.

I agree.

We're so shit, even a moderately talented manager should be able to improve significantly on what we've seen for years.

Yes, being a big club helps in terms of who you can attract, but then again, being 19th in the Championship having won 4 of your last 51 league games doesn't feel too "big" right now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal