collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Goldie.7
[Today at 05:16:42 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 244486 times)

Offline QuintonVilla

Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2520 on: October 09, 2016, 06:46:34 PM »
Steve Bruce looked very well on Goals on Sunday. Give it two weeks here and he'll have put five stone on and will look like shite.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #2521 on: October 09, 2016, 06:50:30 PM »
That's what happens when your villa manager. funnily enough I thought about the goal against Sheffield Wednesday earlier. Brought back bad memories

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2522 on: October 09, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
John, legit question. Are you angry at us getting Bruce or the overall realization that this is what Aston Villa has become?

For me I've done as much as possible to accept things and that was even the case when for RDM. He hardly came with the most sensational resume. But he was pretty good (it appeared) based on the situation at hand. Now it's even more dire and this is an appointment that looking back all of those years I hoped we'd never make. But across all of those years while Bruce rocked up and Blues, Wigan. Sunderland and Hull I also never believed we would be sitting 19th in the Championship. But we are and that's he shit part for me.

We are now appointing a manager who based on his history at this level fills me with some hope rather than outright pessimism that this stage in our inglorious history has a chance of coming to an end. That's what I am hanging on going forward.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:22:42 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2523 on: October 09, 2016, 06:58:16 PM »
I was massively underwhelmed when we appointed Di Matteo, whilst it's not the most thrilling appointment of it is to be Bruce he's a lot better choice than the last few managers.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2524 on: October 09, 2016, 07:01:39 PM »
Wagner- granted looks very very good.  Ruled himself out though.  Not much we can do. 44 games in management is very very limited.

Very very limited? He had 4 seasons managing Dortmund II. Granted it's not the Championship but it is looked upon as one of the best schools around, much like Barcelona where a certain manager only had one season taking care of their B team before moving up to the first team. He did a rather good job. I'm not comparing Wagner with Pep Guardiola but you get the point.

We could learn a lot from Huddersfield. Their chairman admitted it was a risk but they had a plan and have kept to it. It's no wonder they wouldn't even consider letting us talk to Wagner. It may not end up with promotion as they're working on a tiny budget (£4m) and there are plenty around that can outspend them. But still, it's a plan and a bloody smart one in my book.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2525 on: October 09, 2016, 07:07:49 PM »
I was massively underwhelmed when we appointed Di Matteo, whilst it's not the most thrilling appointment of it is to be Bruce he's a lot better choice than the last few managers.

That's like saying the latest single from the Irish band is a lot better than their previous offerings, Chris.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #2526 on: October 09, 2016, 07:14:30 PM »
I'm happy to say I like Steve Bruce, quite liked him as a player, always comes across as a decent bloke in interviews, remember him telling the BBC reporter that they would struggle to get any highlights out of a 0-0 against Villa and I also think he's a decent manager.

Look forward to everybody telling me how wrong I was when we miss out on the play offs this season.

Offline cumbriavilla

« Reply #2527 on: October 09, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »
Spink, Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence as coaches. Assuming Agnew and Clemence would leave their current jobs.

I don't want Spink - he used to coach the Blues.
Sorry - Have you forgotten 1982?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2528 on: October 09, 2016, 07:16:36 PM »
Wagner- granted looks very very good.  Ruled himself out though.  Not much we can do. 44 games in management is very very limited.

Very very limited? He had 4 seasons managing Dortmund II. Granted it's not the Championship but it is looked upon as one of the best schools around, much like Barcelona where a certain manager only had one season taking care of their B team before moving up to the first team. He did a rather good job. I'm not comparing Wagner with Pep Guardiola but you get the point.

We could learn a lot from Huddersfield. Their chairman admitted it was a risk but they had a plan and have kept to it. It's no wonder they wouldn't even consider letting us talk to Wagner. It may not end up with promotion as they're working on a tiny budget (£4m) and there are plenty around that can outspend them. But still, it's a plan and a bloody smart one in my book.

It is. But then stepping up to have Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves et al at the height of their powers is like playing on cheat mode. So is going to Bayern and City. Hes a great manager, but had resources no other has.

Wagner may be brilliant but 44 games is limited at a smallish club and previously been manager of a b team doesn't make him any more suitable to managing our basket case.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2529 on: October 09, 2016, 07:16:58 PM »
Spink, Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence as coaches. Assuming Agnew and Clemence would leave their current jobs.

Sorry - Have you forgotten 1982?
irony failure

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2530 on: October 09, 2016, 07:19:20 PM »
Looking forward to the next Villa manager.
Steve Bruce.
Welcome. Good luck.

Might change the forum name again.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2531 on: October 09, 2016, 07:21:07 PM »
So Dr Ts pa has tweeted that nothing is ever guaranteed in football and we are working hard to get the right man.

Wonder if there is a hint it might not be Bruce

Offline LeeB

« Reply #2532 on: October 09, 2016, 07:21:20 PM »

I was about to post a negative comment about Stephen Clemence and realised I was thinking of Stephen Carr.

I've got one for you Pat, in my view Stephen Clemence has ladies lips.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2533 on: October 09, 2016, 07:21:25 PM »
I'm happy to say I like Steve Bruce, quite liked him as a player, always comes across as a decent bloke in interviews, remember him telling the BBC reporter that they would struggle to get any highlights out of a 0-0 against Villa and I also think he's a decent manager.

Look forward to everybody telling me how wrong I was when we miss out on the play offs this season.

Not me, I agree. It's not an exciting appointment necessarily, but some of the other choices don't seem much better to me. As PWS said it's odd that Dyche is seen as a brilliant choice, but Bruce is terrible, when they've had very similar results.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2534 on: October 09, 2016, 07:23:19 PM »
So Dr Ts pa has tweeted that nothing is ever guaranteed in football and we are working hard to get the right man.

Wonder if there is a hint it might not be Bruce

In which case;

Welcome, good luck.

Might change the forum name again

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal