collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by dalians umbrella
[Today at 10:23:42 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 10:23:15 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Beard82
[Today at 10:13:15 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by nick harper
[Today at 09:50:10 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[Today at 09:27:43 PM]

Tennis 2024 by Monty
[Today at 09:25:59 PM]

Kits 24/25 by nigel
[Today at 08:53:25 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:43:53 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by dalians umbrella
[Today at 10:23:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 10:23:15 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by astonvilla82
[Today at 10:15:59 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by Richard E
[Today at 10:15:03 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by DerbyVillian
[Today at 10:13:27 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Beard82
[Today at 10:13:15 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 10:09:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Astnor
[Today at 10:05:12 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245147 times)

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2445 on: October 09, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »
Well old Fist Face is on Sky right now waxing lyrical about the Villa. Sounds like he's desperate for the job.

Nope, can't spot anything negative about that.

Yep. It's comments like that which in a way makes me hope he gets it.

Same here, no idea why there is so much animosity towards him. Can only assume it's something to do with the late goals against Sheffield Wednesday, the fact he was once the Blues manager, his waistline, his nose or his hair. He's never struck me as an unpleasant or arrogant man either.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #2446 on: October 09, 2016, 12:36:01 PM »
I am resigned to never seeing us in the Premiership again.  Younger fans than I certainly will but not with Steve Bruce I fear.  With him there is slot in the Championship somewhere between 8th and 12th with our name on it.  It will be our level and Steve Bruce's level.

Except having been promoted 4 times already Bruce has already proved that 8-12th certainly isn't his level.

Agreed but don't let facts get in the way! Biggest concern in my opinion is his physicals health as he certainly looked unfit when he left Hull.

Yes but by all accounts he looks sleek and sexy this morning.

Not so fat with a nice new haircut and plastered with makeup. He's still Steve Bruce though.
Yeah, he's still that bloke that gets teams promoted to the Premier League

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #2447 on: October 09, 2016, 12:37:13 PM »
It'll be the Blues connection, which I find slightly laughable.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2448 on: October 09, 2016, 12:37:36 PM »
Isn't what some are saying on this thread very similar to what is used to berate the 'delusional' Geordies? Supposed big club thinking they should be attracting managers from supposed smaller clubs or even the likes of Mancini. See suggestions we approach Man United to get Marcus Radhford on loan in the summer!

We won the league in 1981, the European Cup in 1982, last won a trophy 20 years ago and are currently 19th in the Championship and a division below the likes of Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley and Hull City having recently sacked our third manager in 12 months.

I am glad people keep reminding us how bad Villa are. None of us had realised. Until you pointed out our League position I'd just assumed we were above Man United and Arsenal.

Can someone come along to say we need a "reality check" please?

Haven't had that for a couple of pages.

I'm fairly ambivalent towards Bruce tbh, and can see the arguments for both sides.  My main worry about him is the divisions he will cause if he doesn't get off to an absolute flier.  The post above from two very respected, sensible posters being a case in point.  What are the less intelligent members of our support going to do if he's appointed?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #2449 on: October 09, 2016, 12:42:01 PM »
Isn't what some are saying on this thread very similar to what is used to berate the 'delusional' Geordies? Supposed big club thinking they should be attracting managers from supposed smaller clubs or even the likes of Mancini. See suggestions we approach Man United to get Marcus Radhford on loan in the summer!

We won the league in 1981, the European Cup in 1982, last won a trophy 20 years ago and are currently 19th in the Championship and a division below the likes of Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley and Hull City having recently sacked our third manager in 12 months.

I am glad people keep reminding us how bad Villa are. None of us had realised. Until you pointed out our League position I'd just assumed we were above Man United and Arsenal.

Can someone come along to say we need a "reality check" please?

Haven't had that for a couple of pages.

I think those of us making such posts will consider the point proven when people stop having completely unrealistic expectations for where we are right now. You're right, the point really should have been made by now

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2450 on: October 09, 2016, 12:42:15 PM »
Yeah, I don't want to fall out with Chris, he's a good lad even though he never ever applauds the opposition at Headingley. 😉

But it seems to me that since the O'Neill appointment we've never tried to punch above (or even equal to) our weight when appointing managers and that's a large part of the reason why we find ourselves where we are.

I'm not sure why people think going for another manager that none of our rivals would be jealous of is the magic cure to sort our worries.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #2451 on: October 09, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
Yeah, I don't want to fall out with Chris, he's a good lad even though he never ever applauds the opposition at Headingley. 😉

Only because I don't want to be the only one doing it!

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #2452 on: October 09, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »

But it seems to me that since the O'Neill appointment we've never tried to punch above (or even equal to) our weight when appointing managers and that's a large part of the reason why we find ourselves where we are.

I'm not sure why people think going for another manager that none of our rivals would be jealous of is the magic cure to sort our worries.
I was pretty jealous when Hull were getting promoted and we were going down. I really couldn't give a shit what our rivals think

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2453 on: October 09, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »
Were you jealous when Bruce was taking Small Heath and Hull back down?

If you only focus on the positives you can make any manager look decent.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #2454 on: October 09, 2016, 12:55:24 PM »
Were you jealous when Bruce was taking Small Heath and Hull back down?

If you only focus on the positives you can make any manager look decent.
No but we're not in the Premier League so why would I focus on that?

As has been repeated on here ad nauseum,  let's worry about that when we get there
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 12:58:00 PM by VillaAlways »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2455 on: October 09, 2016, 01:00:43 PM »
We aren't in the Premier League but there's no reason why we shouldn't consider a manager's performance in that or any other division.

We are not in some mythical magic league where the rules of football don't apply.

A manager who has had a mixed career, including promotions, relegations, good seasons and bad seasons, is less likely to be succesful than a manager who has been succesful for most of his career.

We should be appointing the latter sort.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #2456 on: October 09, 2016, 01:07:06 PM »
We aren't in the Premier League but there's no reason why we shouldn't consider a manager's performance in that or any other division.

We are not in some mythical magic league where the rules of football don't apply.

A manager who has had a mixed career, including promotions, relegations, good seasons and bad seasons, is less likely to be succesful than a manager who has been succesful for most of his career.

Any ideas apart from the people who have already ruled themselves out

Online JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #2457 on: October 09, 2016, 01:07:07 PM »
Does anyone have a list of our assistant managers since O'Neill left? We've had bloody loads.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2458 on: October 09, 2016, 01:08:57 PM »

Any ideas apart from the people who have already ruled themselves out

Bielsa, Mancini, Girard.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #2459 on: October 09, 2016, 01:10:06 PM »
Does anyone have a list of our assistant managers since O'Neill left? We've had bloody loads.

Pugh, Pugh, Barney Mcgrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal