collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by DerbyVillian
[Today at 11:16:30 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Smithy
[Today at 11:15:52 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Bad English
[Today at 11:12:14 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Bad English
[Today at 11:08:57 AM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by brontebilly
[Today at 11:03:58 AM]

Kits 24/25 by sid1964
[Today at 09:57:32 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245238 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2415 on: October 09, 2016, 11:06:39 AM »
Maybe someone like Garde perhaps, Monty? 😉

To be perfectly honest I can see the logic in hiring Bruce but Monty's approach would be the more exciting one IF we got the right fella and the board and fans alike had the patience for the long road ahead. Unfortunately I see neither having that patience.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2416 on: October 09, 2016, 11:08:11 AM »
Fcuk me folks, let's get a bit of perspective here. We need to focus on winning more than we lose before anything else. That in itself is massive progress.
So the answer is appoint a manager  with 36% win ratio?

What's our win ratio over the last 5 seasons?

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2417 on: October 09, 2016, 11:08:44 AM »
Monty, the simplest way I can put it is we've been in freefall and we're not showing any signs of hitting the ground yet. We can't rebuild while we're still falling. We have to stop the rot first, get some stability, learn how to win a few games and then rebuild. We can't start any forward thinking while we're still slipping backwards.

Our short term ambitions are not getting into a full blooded relegation battle. That's what I mean by a wartime manager. Once we're on an even keel, then perhaps we can find this mystery Karanka / Wagner figure who can haul us into the 21st century, whoever it is. We're so far from that right now it's ridiculous.

Everyone in the Championship can smell blood. We are weak, they know it, and they will happily give us a kicking. We have two derbies coming up, for instance, which I'm not looking forward to in any way. Is anyone?

I wouldn't underestimate the sheer incompetence of RDM. For us it feels like the same old slippage, but remember this is virtually a new team which has been comically mismanaged by a guy who many, the Guardian pod lot for instance, regard as a joke and a charlatan.

I suppose you're more worried about relegation than I am. Frankly, if I were really worried about relegation I'd be more tempted to go for Clarke as interim, because we wouldn't be awarding an expensive new contract to a reasonably big name who presumably wouldn't see his job as half-a-season firefighter against relegation to Division 3. I still think we'll have way more than enough to get ourselves clear of real trouble, and so my thinking then turns towards rebuilding - something I just don't believe Bruce is the man to do.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2418 on: October 09, 2016, 11:11:19 AM »
Well old Fist Face is on Sky right now waxing lyrical about the Villa. Sounds like he's desperate for the job.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2419 on: October 09, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »
Monty, the simplest way I can put it is we've been in freefall and we're not showing any signs of hitting the ground yet. We can't rebuild while we're still falling. We have to stop the rot first, get some stability, learn how to win a few games and then rebuild. We can't start any forward thinking while we're still slipping backwards.

Our short term ambitions are not getting into a full blooded relegation battle. That's what I mean by a wartime manager. Once we're on an even keel, then perhaps we can find this mystery Karanka / Wagner figure who can haul us into the 21st century, whoever it is. We're so far from that right now it's ridiculous.

Everyone in the Championship can smell blood. We are weak, they know it, and they will happily give us a kicking. We have two derbies coming up, for instance, which I'm not looking forward to in any way. Is anyone?

Exactly. 

Also, Vic Crowe couldn't prevent our slide to Division 3 as it was but started the recovery.  Maybe Bruce is the modern day equivalent?  Without the slide to Division 3 obviously!

Online Monty

« Reply #2420 on: October 09, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »

Exactly. 

Also, Vic Crowe couldn't prevent our slide to Division 3 as it was but started the recovery.  Maybe Bruce is the modern day equivalent?  Without the slide to Division 3 obviously!

No. If Bruce gets us relegated to the third tier then there was literally no point in hiring him.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2421 on: October 09, 2016, 11:14:25 AM »
Well old Fist Face is on Sky right now waxing lyrical about the Villa. Sounds like he's desperate for the job.

I hope he wants it passionately as some of that might rub off on the team.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #2422 on: October 09, 2016, 11:15:27 AM »

sounds like he's up for it
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:18:30 AM by Tony Erdington »

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #2423 on: October 09, 2016, 11:15:40 AM »
Well old Fist Face is on Sky right now

He's had his hair done

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2424 on: October 09, 2016, 11:18:27 AM »

He's had his hair done

Looks like he's had a makeover in time for the Villa job.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:20:05 AM by saunders_heroes »

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2425 on: October 09, 2016, 11:20:15 AM »

Looks like he's had a makeover in time for the Villa job.

He's had his hair done

And lost a ton of timber. He looked prepped for an interview ✍🏻️

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2426 on: October 09, 2016, 11:22:30 AM »
Just caught the end of it. He did look well didn't he?

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2427 on: October 09, 2016, 11:22:59 AM »
Monty, I do think RDM was poor and we were right to sack him when we did. But I still think there are some attitudes to sort out at Villa Park. Those players who don't look arsed, for a start. I doubt Bruce, or someone of his ilk, will stand for that.

I guess what frustrates me is the 'We're Villa, we'll be ok,' mentality. In many ways, especially when it comes to other teams' perceptions of us (weak-willed coasters living on past glories) that's precisely why we won't be ok.

Online Monty

« Reply #2428 on: October 09, 2016, 11:28:45 AM »
Monty, I do think RDM was poor and we were right to sack him when we did. But I still think there are some attitudes to sort out at Villa Park. Those players who don't look arsed, for a start. I doubt Bruce, or someone of his ilk, will stand for that.

I guess what frustrates me is the 'We're Villa, we'll be ok,' mentality. In many ways, especially when it comes to other teams' perceptions of us (weak-willed coasters living on past glories) that's precisely why we won't be ok.

I agree with the latter attitude being frustrating. I just think we'll be okay because the players are obviously not relegation material unless something goes horribly horribly wrong - which, if anyone will do it, is very very us, but I still call it unlikely.

As for Bruce not putting up with coasters, isn't that exactly what he was accused of at Sunderland? Even when he does well he has players like Huddlestone at the centre of things, people not exactly known for their ultra-professionalism.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2429 on: October 09, 2016, 11:44:43 AM »

Nope, can't spot anything negative about that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal