collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by ozzjim
[Today at 12:45:18 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by brontebilly
[Today at 12:44:37 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 12:42:55 PM]

Season Tickets by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 12:10:35 PM]

Kits 24/25 by Monty
[Today at 12:00:51 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Bad English
[Today at 11:08:57 AM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by brontebilly
[Today at 11:03:58 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245248 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2430 on: October 09, 2016, 11:46:12 AM »
Well old Fist Face is on Sky right now waxing lyrical about the Villa. Sounds like he's desperate for the job.

Nope, can't spot anything negative about that.

Yep. It's comments like that which in a way makes me hope he gets it.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #2431 on: October 09, 2016, 11:50:47 AM »
Here's what he said

“I’ve had a chat with him, and that’s as far as it’s gone.
“They did say they were in a process, which you have to respect.
“I’m hoping that I’ll hear something this week.
“It’d be a terrific job - I’m sure everyone would agree, it’s one of the big clubs in this country.
“It needs a little bit of turning around at the moment, but they’ve got a huge support.
“It’s a big club, so let’s hope I hear something this week.”

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2432 on: October 09, 2016, 11:56:04 AM »
Did he mention 'sleeping giants'?

I don't think I could handle that.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2433 on: October 09, 2016, 11:57:17 AM »
What I can't quite tie up is the fact that  Bruce  has  held  talks  with Villa apparently on a number of occasions but has not been employed YET.  Think this  shows that there is some doubt lingering  within Villa Park as to his ability.  If I was Bruce I would have told Villa to stick it if they are not sure about his ability. 

As for the fall back - worried about what the support thinks, well as long as we show a dramatic improvement on the pitch the appointee could have come from Mars as far as I am concerned. 

To  be honest and realistic, however, not a lot  of competition out there for the role, none that are a safe option anyway.  The only three I can  think of:

Dean Smith - being a Villa fan and having an interest in the club would probably put him off.
Mark Warburton - not quite sure about him.
Moyes - damaged goods  but is good at organising and working to budgets.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2434 on: October 09, 2016, 11:59:02 AM »
I am resigned to never seeing us in the Premiership again.  Younger fans than I certainly will but not with Steve Bruce I fear.  With him there is slot in the Championship somewhere between 8th and 12th with our name on it.  It will be our level and Steve Bruce's level.

Except having been promoted 4 times already Bruce has already proved that 8-12th certainly isn't his level.

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #2435 on: October 09, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »
Fcuk me folks, let's get a bit of perspective here. We need to focus on winning more than we lose before anything else. That in itself is massive progress.
So the answer is appoint a manager  with 36% win ratio?

What's our win ratio over the last 5 seasons?

His Win ratio at Hull over 201 games was 40.8%.

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #2436 on: October 09, 2016, 12:05:04 PM »
I am resigned to never seeing us in the Premiership again.  Younger fans than I certainly will but not with Steve Bruce I fear.  With him there is slot in the Championship somewhere between 8th and 12th with our name on it.  It will be our level and Steve Bruce's level.

Except having been promoted 4 times already Bruce has already proved that 8-12th certainly isn't his level.

Agreed but don't let facts get in the way! Biggest concern in my opinion is his physicals health as he certainly looked unfit when he left Hull.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2437 on: October 09, 2016, 12:08:46 PM »
Fcuk me folks, let's get a bit of perspective here. We need to focus on winning more than we lose before anything else. That in itself is massive progress.
So the answer is appoint a manager  with 36% win ratio?

What's our win ratio over the last 5 seasons?

His Win ratio at Hull over 201 games was 40.8%.

Ours over the same period is 20% and rapidly getting worse, below 10% for the past 50 games.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2438 on: October 09, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
I'll nail my flag to the mast and say I think we will all be pleasantly surprised by Bruce if he gets the job. The sight of a decently organised team that wins a good few games will be like nirvana to us, we are so used to seeing shit players play poor football and get beaten. Bruce will do a job here for us, he's not learning his trade, he's not known as being invisible, he will be a prescence around the club and he does have a bit of personality about him. He's been round the block a few times, especially at this level.

I'm quite optimistic about Potato.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2439 on: October 09, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »
Isn't what some are saying on this thread very similar to what is used to berate the 'delusional' Geordies? Supposed big club thinking they should be attracting managers from supposed smaller clubs or even the likes of Mancini. See suggestions we approach Man United to get Marcus Radhford on loan in the summer!

We won the league in 1981, the European Cup in 1982, last won a trophy 20 years ago and are currently 19th in the Championship and a division below the likes of Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley and Hull City having recently sacked our third manager in 12 months.

In fairness, the manager of those 'delusional Geordies' is Rafa Benitez.

Would Rafa Benitez have joined them if they were in the Championship?

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #2440 on: October 09, 2016, 12:18:21 PM »

Agreed but don't let facts get in the way! Biggest concern in my opinion is his physicals health as he certainly looked unfit when he left Hull.
He looked as fit as a fiddle on Goals on Sunday

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2441 on: October 09, 2016, 12:19:09 PM »

Yes but by all accounts he looks sleek and sexy this morning.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2442 on: October 09, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »

Yes but by all accounts he looks sleek and sexy this morning.

Not so fat with a nice new haircut and plastered with makeup. He's still Steve Bruce though.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2443 on: October 09, 2016, 12:26:32 PM »
No doubt he'll look like an unshaven Jabba the Hutt by the end of the season with us.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2444 on: October 09, 2016, 12:30:04 PM »
Isn't what some are saying on this thread very similar to what is used to berate the 'delusional' Geordies? Supposed big club thinking they should be attracting managers from supposed smaller clubs or even the likes of Mancini. See suggestions we approach Man United to get Marcus Radhford on loan in the summer!

We won the league in 1981, the European Cup in 1982, last won a trophy 20 years ago and are currently 19th in the Championship and a division below the likes of Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley and Hull City having recently sacked our third manager in 12 months.

I am glad people keep reminding us how bad Villa are. None of us had realised. Until you pointed out our League position I'd just assumed we were above Man United and Arsenal.

Can someone come along to say we need a "reality check" please?

Haven't had that for a couple of pages.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal