collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 03:14:36 PM]

Season Tickets by ChicagoLion
[Today at 03:10:06 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 02:54:23 PM]

The Running thread by Risso
[Today at 02:48:29 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Si
[Today at 01:22:56 PM]

The Holte’s Last Stand by Stu82
[Today at 01:02:13 PM]

Championship Memories by Stu82
[Today at 12:57:32 PM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by thick_mike
[Today at 12:53:40 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 03:14:36 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by ChicagoLion
[Today at 03:10:06 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 03:05:46 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by ChicagoLion
[Today at 03:05:39 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by VillaTim
[Today at 03:02:35 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 03:02:34 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by VillaTim
[Today at 03:00:39 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Dazvillain
[Today at 02:59:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245276 times)

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2175 on: October 08, 2016, 04:55:20 PM »
The reason it shouldn't be Bruce is because we are already discussing getting his successor in once he has taken us up. Rebuild the playing side from top to bottom now even if it means another season in division 2. Bruce is just more of the same. He has never put anything in place at any of his clubs which has been long term. His sides always get worse the longer he is there. A short term fix is not what we need!!!!
I'm more concerned that we won't get another season in Division 2 We need to stop the rot and worry about the future later. Bruce is the man to do that.

I'd rather worry about the future now and plan for it at the same time as stopping the rot rather than becoming like boing boing baggies
West Ham appointed Allardyce in the Championship. He got them back up via the Play offs stabilised them and then he was moved on and they appointed a forward thinking manager albeit they've hit a rough patch at the mo

It doesn't always have to be negative

true but we are discussing bruce not allardyce

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2176 on: October 08, 2016, 05:01:51 PM »
The reason it shouldn't be Bruce is because we are already discussing getting his successor in once he has taken us up. Rebuild the playing side from top to bottom now even if it means another season in division 2. Bruce is just more of the same. He has never put anything in place at any of his clubs which has been long term. His sides always get worse the longer he is there. A short term fix is not what we need!!!!
I'm more concerned that we won't get another season in Division 2 We need to stop the rot and worry about the future later. Bruce is the man to do that.

I'd rather worry about the future now and plan for it at the same time as stopping the rot rather than becoming like boing boing baggies
West Ham appointed Allardyce in the Championship. He got them back up via the Play offs stabilised them and then he was moved on and they appointed a forward thinking manager albeit they've hit a rough patch at the mo

It doesn't always have to be negative

true but we are discussing bruce not allardyce

What's Bruce's record vs Allardyce in the Championship?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2177 on: October 08, 2016, 05:02:01 PM »
How  sad that's it looks as though we have settled for Bruce... I am depressed😡

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #2178 on: October 08, 2016, 05:02:42 PM »
How  sad that's it looks as though we have settled for Bruce... I am depressed😡

I'm already depressed. If we start winning games frankly I won't care who the manager is.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #2179 on: October 08, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
Bruce will be spot on, just what we need right now.

Agree, and wth a lot of other comments about Bruce. I want us to be mediocre and middle of the table first. Six years of unremitting gloom has drained the life out of me. To see what's happened to us in the first two months of this season has been even worse.

Give him two years to change the losing culture at the club and make us organised, hard to beat and get our pride back. I think he is safe choice to do that and I would be confident he could get us back up in that time .

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #2180 on: October 08, 2016, 05:05:06 PM »
Nigel Pearson is available

Offline KRS

« Reply #2181 on: October 08, 2016, 05:07:49 PM »
Bruce? Yeah its a bit of a "meh" appointment but I genuinely think he is the right man for the job right now.

We are currently struggling for points at the bottom end of the Championship with no clear leaders or game plan on the pitch. Whilst it wouldn't be an inspiring appointment and is unlikely to have any long term success in the PL, the fact is that we need to get out of the Championship and the best man to do that is Steve Bruce.

He may have a record of struggling with average clubs in the PL, but he has a good record of getting teams promoted from the Championship...and that is what we need right now. Let's not be making this appointment on the basis of what the manager can or cannot do in the PL when we're not even in it...we need a manager that will get us out of the Championship. Once that target has been achieved, then we re-evaluate the situation and set new targets for the manager to achieve...but the first step is finding the right man for the job at hand, and you'll struggle to find a better option available than Bruce.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #2182 on: October 08, 2016, 05:09:18 PM »
My concern is that we will not have the chance to fundamentally rebuild the team in the PL. The playing style we go up with can be tweaked but not massively overhauled. You are then reliant on hanging on in the PL for a couple of seasons and slowly change. Anybody that thinks we can go up without a fundamental structure we can develop in the PL is sailing on hopefully.

The opportunity to rebuild this club from top to bottom on the playing side is now.

Get it wrong and we're in League One, hoping that Neil Warnock might be convinced to take the step down. So I wholeheartedly disagree.

We went a long way towards trying what you suggest in the summer, but after being heavily backed in the market, the Italian Sherwood didn't even know his best team.

The structure at all other levels of the club can still be rebuilt regardless of Steve Bruce being the current face in the manager's dug-out.  It doesn't have to be one or t'other. If the Dr is serious, if everything else is in place for a top quality manager/head coach to take it on further when we return to the top flight, we might be a more attractive proposition then.

At the moment we are firefighting. The fixtures and fittings and landscape gardening can come later.

Clearly you either do not understand what I am saying or trying to twist it to suit your argument.

I am not saying gambling on an inexperienced manager.  Hey, I did not even suggest anybody.

End up in League 1!  Any competent manager would keep us in this division with the players we have, even RDM but we want to get promoted and it was clear that we would have only ended up mid-table with him , which was no good enough.

What we did in the summer is the start of the rebuilding with a strong base.  There were missed opportunities in strengthening in certain areas and a belief that some of the players retained were better than they actually are.  We have to start to develop a style of play that is modern and not out of place in the PL

Fire-fighting in your context equates to panic and it is exactly what you are doing in your impatience.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #2183 on: October 08, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
Plenty around here were adamant that they'd sooner be relegated than have Big Fat Sam take over last year.

Mission accomplished. How's that working out?

We get Allardyce last year and there is a better than average chance that we stay up, he still gets the England job and we're looking at managers like Matterazi, or Mancini or some of the other fancied names here.

We go for Garde, who after about a month, gave the impression of a man who knew he was out of his depth. He might have be fine at Southampton or Swansea- clubs with a sound ethos and structure already in place, where he could essentially be a head coach and not worry about anything else. But he wasn't what we needed at the time. Yes he was bent over in January, but he had offered little up to that point to suggest we could get out of trouble.

No more punts.  We need competency at the level we find ourselves.  Bruce is better than competent. His Championship win record is very good, and four promotions -two of them recent aren't accidental.

This

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #2184 on: October 08, 2016, 05:10:32 PM »
Thirded. Good post

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #2185 on: October 08, 2016, 05:16:22 PM »
Curious to see what a Steve Bruce team will look like. I imagine a central midfielder along the lines of Huddlestone or Livermore will be his first aim (not those players, but someone with physical presence who can sit in a midfield two. We've probably only got Tshibola presently). And I reckon it would involve width and a target man

Gollini

Bacuna Chester baker amavi

Westwood (to be replaced) Tshibola

Adomah ayew (McCormack replacement) grealish 

Gestede (kodjia replacement)

??

Online claret+blue ed

« Reply #2186 on: October 08, 2016, 05:17:17 PM »
As it's looking like Bruce will get the job, we need to do our part and back him as the Aston Villa manager, not the ex blues manager and leave the potato head thing alone, even in jest, as it is the only way we will get our club back where we belong

UTV

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #2187 on: October 08, 2016, 05:17:21 PM »
And to add, I couldn't care less about his past. And if we do start winning it will go a long way to debunk the nonsense surrounding TSM1. We didn't care that he had managed them. It was that it was the never ending drippings of shit negative football that was the issue.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2188 on: October 08, 2016, 05:18:26 PM »
Nigel Pearson is now available.

***runs off***

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2189 on: October 08, 2016, 05:19:10 PM »
Curious to see what a Steve Bruce team will look like. I imagine a central midfielder along the lines of Huddlestone or Livermore will be his first aim (not those players, but someone with physical presence who can sit in a midfield two. We've probably only got Tshibola presently). And I reckon it would involve width and a target man

Gollini

??

Gollini

??

You missed out Micha Richards and Gabby of your team sheet, because a pound to a pinch of shit they will be back in the fold, that's the sort if manager Bruce is

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal