collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:25:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 244479 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2160 on: October 08, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »
My concern is that we will not have the chance to fundamentally rebuild the team in the PL. The playing style we go up with can be tweaked but not massively overhauled. You are then reliant on hanging on in the PL for a couple of seasons and slowly change. Anybody that thinks we can go up without a fundamental structure we can develop in the PL is sailing on hopefully.

The opportunity to rebuild this club from top to bottom on the playing side is now. Decide how you want to go forward and get the manager that suits the system. Swansea did it with some success but hit the glass ceiling for them due to not having the finances to go to the next level.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2161 on: October 08, 2016, 03:38:30 PM »
If a club that had won four games in however many matches, last away win over a year ago, spent tens of millions and have a win against Rotherham and are in 19th place in the second division to show for it,  appointed somebody who got Hull City promoted twice and to an FA Cup final (HULL CITY!) whilst having to deal with all sorts of shit from the owners was any club other than Villa there would be people on here saying what a good appointment he was.

We're 19th, we absolutely stank the Premier League out for years before finally being put out of ours and everybody else's misery, there aren't a lot of managers out there who we could choose from. It's 35 years since we were European champions. I made the point aboutHul being 'organised' as to my eyes recent Villa managers have found something so basic beyond their capabilities.

Spot on.

Just be glad we haven't yet sunk to Colin Wanker levels of shitness.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2162 on: October 08, 2016, 03:39:51 PM »
If a club that had won four games in however many matches, last away win over a year ago, spent tens of millions and have a win against Rotherham and are in 19th place in the second division to show for it,  appointed somebody who got Hull City promoted twice and to an FA Cup final (HULL CITY!) whilst having to deal with all sorts of shit from the owners was any club other than Villa there would be people on here saying what a good appointment he was.

We're 19th, we absolutely stank the Premier League out for years before finally being put out of ours and everybody else's misery, there aren't a lot of managers out there who we could choose from. It's 35 years since we were European champions. I made the point aboutHul being 'organised' as to my eyes recent Villa managers have found something so basic beyond their capabilities.

That's where I am Chris and you've just put it a lot better than I could. If we get back up and the structure behind the scenes is what we all hope it will be, then there's no reason we can't start planning for life beyond Bruce with more time to do it. But right now he's hardly a manager that should be derided as if he was some sort of complete failure. Because he hasn't been, especially at the level we find ourselves in.

Offline villadelph

• | UTV | 215 |
  • GM : 20.05.2025
« Reply #2163 on: October 08, 2016, 03:45:11 PM »

That's where I am Chris and you've just put it a lot better than I could. If we get back up and the structure behind the scenes is what we all hope it will be, then there's no reason we can't start planning for life beyond Bruce with more time to do it. But right now he's hardly a manager that should be derided as if he was some sort of complete failure. Because he hasn't been, especially at the level we find ourselves in.

Totally agree.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #2164 on: October 08, 2016, 03:46:58 PM »
I am perfectly fine with Bruce.

Can't be any worse than Remi and RDMs combined three wins.

Well no, he probably won't be.

But we need to set the bar a bit higher than that.

Reality check.

Glad you're not Chairman if you main criteria is getting more than three wins.

Reality check.

We're at the point where our last five managers have been catastrophic failures and you think we should be punching above our weight and appointing world class management. Lambert, Sherwood, Remi, RDM.. and you think we're above Bruce? Get real.

What a joke.

Villadelph my man. smiley thing

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #2165 on: October 08, 2016, 03:51:36 PM »
The only message we're sending out at the moment is: we're Aston Villa, we have occasional delusions of grandeur, we're soft as shite, we can't win a game and we're rolling down the leagues like a cannon ball on a heater skelter.

By the way, I'm not saying Steve Bruce is the answer. I'm saying we have to cut our cloth accordingly. If Bielsa wants to come, then let's have him. But I'm doubting our power to attract that sort of manager right now. Needs must, and all that. And I'm not going to throw a tantrum if we get a tried and tested alternative, preferably on a short contract. Two years would make sense.
Couldn't put it any better myself.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #2166 on: October 08, 2016, 04:06:57 PM »
My concern is that we will not have the chance to fundamentally rebuild the team in the PL. The playing style we go up with can be tweaked but not massively overhauled. You are then reliant on hanging on in the PL for a couple of seasons and slowly change. Anybody that thinks we can go up without a fundamental structure we can develop in the PL is sailing on hopefully.

The opportunity to rebuild this club from top to bottom on the playing side is now.

Get it wrong and we're in League One, hoping that Neil Warnock might be convinced to take the step down. So I wholeheartedly disagree.

We went a long way towards trying what you suggest in the summer, but after being heavily backed in the market, the Italian Sherwood didn't even know his best team.

The structure at all other levels of the club can still be rebuilt regardless of Steve Bruce being the current face in the manager's dug-out.  It doesn't have to be one or t'other. If the Dr is serious, if everything else is in place for a top quality manager/head coach to take it on further when we return to the top flight, we might be a more attractive proposition then.

At the moment we are firefighting. The fixtures and fittings and landscape gardening can come later.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #2167 on: October 08, 2016, 04:20:04 PM »
The reason it shouldn't be Bruce is because we are already discussing getting his successor in once he has taken us up. Rebuild the playing side from top to bottom now even if it means another season in division 2. Bruce is just more of the same. He has never put anything in place at any of his clubs which has been long term. His sides always get worse the longer he is there. A short term fix is not what we need!!!!

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #2168 on: October 08, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »
The reason it shouldn't be Bruce is because we are already discussing getting his successor in once he has taken us up. Rebuild the playing side from top to bottom now even if it means another season in division 2. Bruce is just more of the same. He has never put anything in place at any of his clubs which has been long term. His sides always get worse the longer he is there. A short term fix is not what we need!!!!
I'm more concerned that we won't get another season in Division 2 We need to stop the rot and worry about the future later. Bruce is the man to do that.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #2169 on: October 08, 2016, 04:34:22 PM »
Plenty around here were adamant that they'd sooner be relegated than have Big Fat Sam take over last year.

Mission accomplished. How's that working out?

We get Allardyce last year and there is a better than average chance that we stay up, he still gets the England job and we're looking at managers like Matterazi, or Mancini or some of the other fancied names here.

We go for Garde, who after about a month, gave the impression of a man who knew he was out of his depth. He might have be fine at Southampton or Swansea- clubs with a sound ethos and structure already in place, where he could essentially be a head coach and not worry about anything else. But he wasn't what we needed at the time. Yes he was bent over in January, but he had offered little up to that point to suggest we could get out of trouble.

No more punts.  We need competency at the level we find ourselves.  Bruce is better than competent. His Championship win record is very good, and four promotions -two of them recent aren't accidental.

« Reply #2170 on: October 08, 2016, 04:38:17 PM »
Beggars can't be choosers and God knows we're beggars. If you can't prize away, flavour of the month managers from over achieving Championship clubs, you're not going to land anyone from a higher echelon. Bruce is available and the best of a shit bunch. That's the current reality.

how do you know we cant prize them away?

« Reply #2171 on: October 08, 2016, 04:40:37 PM »
I'm more concerned that we won't get another season in Division 2 We need to stop the rot and worry about the future later. Bruce is the man to do that.

I'd rather worry about the future now and plan for it at the same time as stopping the rot rather than becoming like boing boing baggies

Offline frank black

« Reply #2172 on: October 08, 2016, 04:43:48 PM »
Bruce will be spot on, just what we need right now.

« Reply #2173 on: October 08, 2016, 04:44:15 PM »
I do think we're missing some football people at the club or dare i say it Doug. In the old days, he'd have got wind of someone who perhaps was looking to move on from his club given the right project. The current bunch seem to have just looked at who's available in the job centre

you cant say that, you dont know who they have approached or even spoken to

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #2174 on: October 08, 2016, 04:49:47 PM »

I'd rather worry about the future now and plan for it at the same time as stopping the rot rather than becoming like boing boing baggies
West Ham appointed Allardyce in the Championship. He got them back up via the Play offs stabilised them and then he was moved on and they appointed a forward thinking manager albeit they've hit a rough patch at the mo

It doesn't always have to be negative

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal