collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Newcastle Post-Match Thread  (Read 32793 times)

Offline Jimbo

Re: Aston Villa vs Newcastle Post-Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2016, 01:02:44 PM »
I'll make the point again: Jedinak's played about three games for the club, there is room for improvement. Westwood has been doing his Willow the Wisp impression for four fucking years. I've seen enough to know he's a division above where he should be. And it's not about yesterday, it's about this season and probably the next in the Championship.

Moving the ball on? Christ. He needs to offer a lot more than that, and is one of the reasons we've been so lightweight in midfield since TPL was stinking the place out with his idiotic brand of non-football.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »
If the Jedi could have completed half his passes in the second half we would probably be celebrating a good win. Give him another few games then decide. We finally started to pick up the second ball but his passing was awful (he did make one decent one in the first half though)

Watching Ayew and Kodjia dribbling with the ball was very entertaining (whisper it - Villa were entertaining) and the Tish made a difference once he got up to pace. I can only hope that RDM finally see that we have a decent team if he just plays to strengths.

Amavi is ok when he decides to have a run at defenders. We still move the ball at a glacial pace most of the time and telegraph passes. At least we aren't bottom 3 ;-)

Online dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2016, 01:20:32 PM »
As many have said the first half was poor all round. Once the subs were made and the formation changed it was a completely different game. Suddenly everyone looked more confident on and off the ball. In the end Newcastle the team that will 'walk' this league, were hanging on. I'm hoping this will give the team the confidence for the next two away games.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #213 on: September 25, 2016, 01:27:58 PM »
As many have said the first half was poor all round. Once the subs were made and the formation changed it was a completely different game. Suddenly everyone looked more confident on and off the ball. In the end Newcastle the team that will 'walk' this league, were hanging on. I'm hoping this will give the team the confidence for the next two away games.

Yes that's right I agree and congratulations for travelling so far to watch the team.We had one local who apparently left at half time. Mind you we left straight after Tshibola's late equaliser!

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2016, 02:27:02 PM »
I'd like to give Albert a bit of credit yesterday. A couple of balls coming into the box from the left 1st half that he was breaking his balls to convert at the far post, like a good winger should. He played Codger in for his early effort but didn't admire his handiwork, rather was right behind him in the 18yd box almost picking up the rebound. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2016, 03:04:54 PM »
I do find it remarkable that in a game where there were 3-4 players who comfortably had worse games than him that Westwood still gets singled out by some people. He's not great, but he's also nowhere near as bad as he's made out to be.

Having seen every home game so far this season, he looks as bad in the Championship as he did in the Premier League.  He's just too slow and weak and his other attributes are not good enough to make up for it.  As a defensive midfielder in a three man midfield, you might get away with him playing.  Playing him in any other formation and the midfield is going to be badly weakened as a result. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2016, 03:06:45 PM »
I'd like to give Albert a bit of credit yesterday. A couple of balls coming into the box from the left 1st half that he was breaking his balls to convert at the far post, like a good winger should. He played Codger in for his early effort but didn't admire his handiwork, rather was right behind him in the 18yd box almost picking up the rebound.

Playing wing back meant his attacking opportunities were limited, bug he did whip in one great cross in the first half.  I would like to see us play with genuine wide players, as I think that means we will be able to stretch sides.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
Apart from the obvious dire 60-70mins I still can't understand what jedinak gives us that joe Lyden couldn't he was so much off the pace and caught out many times yesterday that it became embarrassing
As for Westwood well it's been so long now that everyone except the manager can see he just isn't up to it even though we have dropped a division.
If Newcastle had played a midfield of Ellie Simmonds hannah Cockcroft and and peppa pig he would of still been caught out out

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2016, 04:07:04 PM »
I think the view that we've seen a lot of Westwood so know what he's about, but not need to give Jedinak more time, is right

But people on this thread and on the evening mail site are suggesting Westwood was the worse of the two yday. They must just see the game differently from me. Westwood was only mildly effective and sometimes a liability. Jedinak was almost as much of a liability as elphick

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #219 on: September 25, 2016, 04:24:05 PM »
Matt Collins
Thing is we can't have 3 players who are pretty much a liability.
Jedinak hopefully will get better elphick I think is just having a blip

Offline trevor fisher

« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
This game showed the importance of sports psychology. 1-0 up and the Villa players drop back, try to defend the lead, lost a late goal. 0-1 down and with 20 minutes to go they think we can get something, attack and get a goal in the 88th. Plus the ball in theback of the net and hitting the post

Aided by some good substitutions esp Gestede. Newcastle were looking for him and Tishbola came in to score.

But its sports psychology we need. When 1-0 up most teams try to push on. Villa's players retreat and lose late goals. Ask Sunderland and Stoke fans what they think of late goals. Defend deep and you will concede. So don't do it,

Cut out the air ball too. The ball in the air is not under control

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2016, 06:07:35 PM »
I think the view that we've seen a lot of Westwood so know what he's about, but not need to give Jedinak more time, is right

But people on this thread and on the evening mail site are suggesting Westwood was the worse of the two yday. They must just see the game differently from me. Westwood was only mildly effective and sometimes a liability. Jedinak was almost as much of a liability as elphick

I agree that Westwood wasn't as bad as Jedinak, but seeing as Jedinak had an absolute shocker that isn't saying much is it? 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #222 on: September 25, 2016, 06:37:24 PM »
Roberto Di Matteo spoke to the press following the 1-1 draw with Newcastle.

His views are below.

On the draw…

I think certainly the second half was very good.

We really put them under pressure, especially the last half an hour.

We created a lot of good opportunities and got ourselves into very good positions but just missed that man at the end of a cross or pass or pull-back.

We controlled the second half much, much better.
We were more positive with the ball. We showed that we can turn a game around, even though we didn’t win it.

We had plenty of chances to win it.

On maintaining momentum…

Our challenge is to turn the draws into wins.

We have drawn games and that’s what the table reflects.

This is our challenge.

On getting closer…

We have got close a few times.

It was great to see the spirit from the team today – coming back from one-down to earn a draw against a very good Newcastle team that is defensively very solid.

We managed to create some good chances, equalised and tried to go on and win the game as well.

On the late leveller changing the mentality…

I hope so.

Against Forest, we turned the game around too.

Unfortunately we conceded the equaliser in that one.

Today we were 1-0 down and got it back.

We pushed on to really get the second goal too.

There’s a degree of belief that if we concede a goal the game is not over.

On Aaron Tshibola’s contribution…

We know his qualities.

Luckily he got the equaliser.

Hopefully he can get a bit of continuity into his game now.

He missed out a while with injury.

He is certainly a player we have faith in.

On integrating new players…

Every week that goes past helps us in those terms.

We had another debut from the start again with Albert Adomah.

In the last three or four games it’s been a little bit like that, with players getting debuts.

The time going by will certainly be in our favour.

On Albert Adomah performance…

He started as a wing back.

Then we changed our formation and he was a little bit further forward as a winger.

He obviously hasn’t played a full game for a long time.

You could see that a little bit in the second half.

On Jack Grealish’s absence…

We have fined the boy and he was suspended for today’s game.

Tomorrow he will be back with the group, available for selection and we will move on.

Offline dave17

« Reply #223 on: September 25, 2016, 07:15:33 PM »
Apart from the obvious dire 60-70mins I still can't understand what jedinak gives us that joe Lyden couldn't he was so much off the pace and caught out many times yesterday that it became embarrassing
As for Westwood well it's been so long now that everyone except the manager can see he just isn't up to it even though we have dropped a division.
If Newcastle had played a midfield of Ellie Simmonds hannah Cockcroft and and peppa pig he would of still been caught out out

love him or hate him so far this season he hasn't scored or created a goal. In his villa career he has only scored 5 goals. 2 were in one game. Who was our last goal scoring midfielder? Taylor?

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #224 on: September 25, 2016, 10:35:53 PM »
I'll probably get stick for saying it but Amavi is just not up to the job

I don't think he is either

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal