collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Newcastle Post-Match Thread  (Read 32806 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa vs Newcastle Post-Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2016, 10:30:28 AM »
Matt's match ratings have just reminded me at how well the Russian did when he came on yesterday. He caused them a few problems.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2016, 10:39:27 AM »
We drew that because they do what we do. Panic when winning with 20/25 to go.

Elphick is not at all the player I had been led to believe and hoped he would be. He looks a bit shit at the moment.

Hopefully this puts to bed any notion RDM has of 3-5-2.

I thought after the Forest game that was the turning point because we'd played very well, it wasn't, but hopefully this late goal will kick us on.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2016, 10:41:48 AM »
It's too early to say, but I think you could argue we have turned a bit of a turning point mentally - twice coming back and ice holding out

Not exactly a revolution but we were starting from a low base!

We'll only know in time

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2016, 10:43:20 AM »
Just seen the highlights on C5. How the f*** the Ref and his Assistant who were both praised by commentator for offside and  Tshibloa "dive" did not send off Shelvy?  2 marginal decisions against us and a clear cut sending off missed.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2016, 10:46:57 AM »
All down to confidence and belief for me. We could do with a few wins and a bit more luck-although today was not about luck. Very much still a work in progress.
Agreed. Confidence/self belief will decide our fate this season. There is some great talent at Di Mateos disposal. If he can find the right combination this squad will be our best in years. Wins will bring the conference. That 20 minute spell of sustained pressure will bring the self confidence that has been lacking. I can't remember the last time a villa team managed to put the opposition under such pressure for so long. For me that was a very big deal for us and the manager can use that as a springboard for progress. Encouraging.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2016, 10:52:06 AM »
I'm not sure what the aversion is to a good old-fashioned 4-4-2

Amavi put a few good crosses into the box yesterday, but one thing Ayew isn't is a target man, and they all went to waste.

Given just whay an abomination the team selection and formation was yesterday, I can't how this could be any worse:

Gollini
Bacuna Elphick Chester Amavi
Adomah Jedinak Tshibola Grealish
Gestede Kodija/Ayew

There are several permutations you could go with there, like playing Kodija on the wing and Ayew up front for example.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2016, 10:52:35 AM »
Just seen the highlights on C5. How the f*** the Ref and his Assistant who were both praised by commentator for offside and  Tshibloa "dive" did not send off Shelvy?  2 marginal decisions against us and a clear cut sending off missed.
Spot on. How the fuck can the lino possibly claim to see an offside with so many bodies in the melee and no one in an obvious offside position? Not sure about the pen but Shelvey should definitely have been sent off. Officials  definitely had a soft spot for the Geordies.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2016, 10:54:10 AM »
We shouldn't start Gestede. He causes chaos in tiring defences as long as we are on the front foot. I still can't fathom why we started 3 central defenders when they only play 1 up top. We were always going to be up against it in the midfield anyway with Diame and Shelvey in there. That's why the switch to Tish at half time made all the difference.

Agree about Gestede.  Seems to be more effective when he comes on in the latter stages and causes problems. 

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2016, 11:04:31 AM »
I'm not sure what the aversion is to a good old-fashioned 4-4-2

Amavi put a few good crosses into the box yesterday, but one thing Ayew isn't is a target man, and they all went to waste.

Given just whay an abomination the team selection and formation was yesterday, I can't how this could be any worse:

Gollini
Bacuna Elphick Chester Amavi
Adomah Jedinak Tshibola Grealish
Gestede Kodija/Ayew

There are several permutations you could go with there, like playing Kodija on the wing and Ayew up front for example.

Because you get overrun in the middle, you look completely static and if literally your only plan is 'lob some crosses in' then you're a mid-table Championship club in your mind as well as your position.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2016, 11:13:42 AM »
442 can work if you're a Leicester or athletico - have an incredibly disciplined and high energy game plan

That's not us. Good to have the option from the bench

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2016, 11:45:39 AM »
A few games ago we were generally being the better team, making chances but missing something upfront. We signed Kodjia and since then have tried various formations and selections and seen a drop in performance and the chances dry up a little.

Maybe we should return to what we started with, we have a better striker now, go back to the 4-3-3 go back to the players we generally dominated with.

Cissokho left back, Bacuna right back, Chester and Elphick.
Gardner, Westwood and Tshibola in Midfield.
Ayew, Kodjia and McCormack in front of them.

Jedinak to come on around the hour mark if we need to close the game down a bit and add a little strength.

Just a thought.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2016, 11:49:59 AM »
Just before the equaliser I said if it was us defending a 1-0 lead you would feel a goal coming. Newcastle were exactly the same, falling deeper and deeper and the panic throughout their team was almost tangible in the stands.

The formation in the first half obviously didn't work. The two wing backs didn't know where they should be playing and and neither did the centre backs. Playing Adomah wide on the right meant him and Bacuna, if Bacuna was supposed to be the wing back, were playing in the same space meaning Bacuna wandered into a central attacking position at one point leaving Admoah at wing back. The formation needs to fit the players strengths as we don't seem to gave bought players to fit a specific formation.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2016, 11:50:48 AM »
Matt's match ratings have just reminded me at how well the Russian did when he came on yesterday. He caused them a few problems.
Да. Его выступление было весьма удовлетворительным.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2016, 11:51:10 AM »

He (the shite Ref) certainly appeared to be every bit as bad in the, ahem, highlights as those who witnessed the whole 90 minutes thought he was. If a Villa player had done 'A Shelvey', I'm convinced he'd have got a straight red. I know our lot make it very difficult for themselves with their stupid challenges & countless yellow cards, but it doesn't excuse the appalling myopic veiws of the duff officials strutting about in The Championship. Still, it's hardly surprising that the Ref's down 'ere are so poor when you consider the punishment for being rubbish in The Prem is demotion to this sodding level! I guess they have something in common with The Villa after all...  :o

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2016, 12:03:34 PM »
I'll probably get stick for saying it but Amavi is just not up to the job

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal