collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:53:30 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Steve67
[Today at 10:52:12 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Steve67
[Today at 10:49:02 PM]

Diego Carlos by Monty
[Today at 10:48:12 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 10:47:30 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Steve67
[Today at 10:46:03 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Steve67
[Today at 10:44:11 PM]

Champions League Contention by aj2k77
[Today at 10:43:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Newcastle Post-Match Thread  (Read 33055 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Aston Villa vs Newcastle Post-Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2016, 08:55:03 AM »
Just home from the game. I would like to think that game was a turning point.  I agree with PWS that it could be the catalyst for winning performances.  Unlike previous games we got stronger as the game went on.  We had nailed on automatic promotion certainties Newcastle on the ropes and should have won the game.  We showed two important things yesterday, fighting spirit and a will to stick it to the opposition even though a number of our players, Jedinak, Elphick, Chester and Amavi were AWOL on Planet Lambert. A game of two thirds and one third.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:59:35 AM by brian green »

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2016, 08:58:14 AM »
I really think RDM is trying to be far too smart for his own good, particularly at this level where you don't particularly need tactical sophistication.
If he's not careful it will cost him his job.

Kodjia scored 20 goals for Bristol last season centrally, play him there.

Adomah didn't play wing back for Boro ffs, he played as right winger. Ayew is best as an inside forward.

And as previously mentioned Jedinak functioned best at Palace in a 4-3-3.

We've spent enough on these players. We need to be playing them in a formation they're all comfortable with.

totally agree

adomah and bacuna swapped positions at least 3 times in the first half

it shouldnt be that hard to play people in their right positions. we really need to have a settled formation and start to pick up wins as if we aint in the play offs at the end of the season it will a disaster

our big problem is that the team looks so unbalanced with minimal central midfield options

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2016, 09:09:08 AM »
I honestly think RDM doesn't know his strongest line up and formation yet. Hopefully yesterday's second half showing might help him.

Thought Tshibola was so much better than either Westwood or Jedinak and we definitely need another CM in January.

Glad to see Hepburn Murphy a chance hopefully see more of him as he is definitely an exciting prospect.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2016, 09:10:09 AM »
Sometimes i think its like rock, paper, scissors you set your team up trying to predict what the other team will do and they do the opposite. The first half yesterday was the first time this season a team has come to VP and had a real go at us. RDM changed our formation at half time and got it spot on.

Only one team was going to win that game in the end, we need to take this momentum to Barnsley and start our climb up the table.

Good to see Gollini redeem himself with a couple of crackin saves especially that one on one. Tschibola has to start in the week he's a colossus.Keep Ayew on corners.

It was pretty obvious that Newcastle would have a go - they've won every away game since Fulham

It was also obvious they'd play 4231 because that's what Rafa always plays

We haven't really bought to play 433 but I think we probably need to start playing it

Gollini

Bacuna Chester baker cissokho

Tshibola Jedinak grealish

Kodjia gestede ayew

I think that's what I'd play v Barnsley unless McCormack is fit

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2016, 09:17:37 AM »
We shouldn't start Gestede. He causes chaos in tiring defences as long as we are on the front foot. I still can't fathom why we started 3 central defenders when they only play 1 up top. We were always going to be up against it in the midfield anyway with Diame and Shelvey in there. That's why the switch to Tish at half time made all the difference.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2016, 09:19:40 AM »
Spot on Stuart.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
We shouldn't start Gestede. He causes chaos in tiring defences as long as we are on the front foot. I still can't fathom why we started 3 central defenders when they only play 1 up top. We were always going to be up against it in the midfield anyway with Diame and Shelvey in there. That's why the switch to Tish at half time made all the difference.

Definitely agree on the midfield side of things

Am unsure on gestede. Think he's been good at home when starting too. If McCormack is fit he could come in tho it would require a tweak. Maybe he has to play from the left or behind the strikers

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2016, 09:24:08 AM »
I thought in the second half as part of a three Westwood offered more than I've seen from him all season. I'm not saying he was David Platt or Sid (or even a Mortimer or Bremner) but he made some decent supporting runs on the left, played a number of decent passes and looked more and more part of the game. As part of the three and not with a two he's better. As others have said as a two he hasn't shown the ability.

The first half his lack of physicality, his inability to deal with Shelvey and crab-like passing showed the worst of him. Mind you thought Shelvey should have been sent off for that tackle on him.

I still not sure why the chancer took off baker instead of Elphick although moving to a four and stiffening the midfield made sense. We have pace to burn up top but need someone to play channel balls with some regularity - when we did attack their full backs and centre halves you could see the growing panic in the opposition.

Overall the ball is moved far too slowly back to front  for my liking. This rolling it out to a centre back to be knocked across the penalty area is all well and good when you're 3 up but in this league you need to get it forward - times yesterday when Gollini stood ball in hand edge of the box with no one demanding the ball.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »
A couple of people have already suggested what I said walking out the game, that could kick our season off. It was Newcastle's turn throw a lead away and it was nice to come back and we could have won it. It wasn't all good though, the first half was dire. A well earned point in the end for a change rather than a disappointing one.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2016, 09:39:59 AM »
A couple of people have already suggested what I said walking out the game, that could kick our season off. It was Newcastle's turn throw a lead away and it was nice to come back and we could have won it. It wasn't all good though, the first half was dire. A well earned point in the end for a change rather than a disappointing one.

yep, its the kind of result good teams get. Play bad for a lot of the game and still get something out of it and maybe should have won it
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:43:16 AM by sickbeggar »

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2016, 09:43:59 AM »
I think 4-3-3 is the way with Koj up front with McCormack and Ayew either side. For me, Grealish has put himself on the bench so he'll have to force his way in although in honesty I cannot see where he and the aforementioned three fit into a team together.

As I have said previously, for all the money spent on improving attacking areas, we missed a huge trick not getting another midfielder. Tish looks good but he's young and injury prone and without him our midfield looks hopelessly immobile.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2016, 09:46:40 AM »
If we buy one player in Jan I hope it's a box to box type midfielder

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2016, 09:50:50 AM »
We appear to have an excess of talent up front.We need Tshibola to stay fit and a three man
Midfield to compensate for Jedinaks l.ack of pace.Both the goalkeeper and Chester are in form.Di Matteo doesn't appear to have a tactical brain but he did get the Baggies promoted
So you would think he would know what is required.
We rode our luck somewhat yesterday but crucially we didn't lose.Elphick is becoming a problem that needs solving

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
Player ratings:

Gollini 7

Chester 6
Elphick 4
Baker 7

Adomah 6
Bacuna 5 (mf) 6 (rb)
Jedinak 4
Westwood 5
Amavi 5 (lwb) 7 (lb)

Ayew 7 (5 and then 9)
Kodjia 7 (6 and then 8)

Subs: RHM 6, gestede 7, Tshibola 7

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »
Apparently we celebrated the equaliser like we'd won a cup, although I'm not sure how Newcastle supporters would know what that kind of celebration looked like.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal