collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:14:52 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AV84
[Today at 11:13:21 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by coreyfeldman
[Today at 11:10:40 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:42:20 AM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by tomd2103
[Today at 09:31:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Newcastle Post-Match Thread  (Read 32998 times)

Online tomd2103

Re: Aston Villa vs Newcastle Post-Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: September 25, 2016, 11:03:22 PM »
I'll probably get stick for saying it but Amavi is just not up to the job

I don't think he is either

He looks decent going forward but has been suspect defensively.  Although he is only young, I don't think his future lies at full-back.  Didn't he play in midfield or on the wing for the French U21's?

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #226 on: September 26, 2016, 12:13:29 AM »
Looked plenty good enough against Yanited and a whole host of other decent sides last season so -who knows- he might be just finding his way back after a longterm injury.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #227 on: September 26, 2016, 09:40:49 AM »
Looked plenty good enough against Yanited and a whole host of other decent sides last season so -who knows- he might be just finding his way back after a longterm injury.

That's true, remember Delph was shite for at least a year after coming back from injury. I also agree that he's probably better as a left midfielder than left back, and that is where I'd play him. He's very skilful and puts in a superb cross, he's also prepared to battle but that's sometimes where he comes up short.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2016, 09:47:39 AM »
The Guardian article about the game barely f**king mentions us.

Offline SX150

« Reply #229 on: September 26, 2016, 10:19:45 AM »
When I see Westwood walking out I can feel myself getting angry and my blood starting to boil. He is so invisible during the 90 minutes though that its not long before you forget about him.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2016, 10:28:59 AM »
The thing with Westwood is that he is never the worst player on the pitch but, also, never the best.  I have never seen him have an outstanding game.  He is just too conservative.  For a team that needs to be progressive to get out of this division, having Westwood in the team is a waste of a position on the team sheet.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #231 on: September 26, 2016, 10:29:13 AM »
Westwood reminds me of those people at work that just coast along, never getting deeply involved with anything, never making waves, never having anything other than a neutral opinion, skillfully avoiding any sort of responsibility, beavering away but only having an impact on the "low hanging fruit"who manage to remain with the firm for 20 years to the bemusement of anyone who has worked with them.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #232 on: September 26, 2016, 10:54:21 AM »
Westwood is the Bartleby of our midfield. He doesn't do anything but we can't seem to get rid of him.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #233 on: September 26, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »
The thing with Westwood is that he is never the worst player on the pitch but, also, never the best.  I have never seen him have an outstanding game.  He is just too conservative.  For a team that needs to be progressive to get out of this division, having Westwood in the team is a waste of a position on the team sheet.

But I think that is what managers like about him. They want a Steady Eddie type to do the boring stuff to allow others to do the more progressive work. Perhaps because that is the same job that a number of our recent managers did as players is why he has been a regular over a number of seasons. We need a player who can do the same job of keeping things ticking over and not giving the ball away but with a little more dynamism but until we get a player who demonstrates that they can do that I think he will continue to be in the side more often than not.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #234 on: September 26, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »

But I think that is what managers like about him. They want a Steady Eddie type to do the boring stuff to allow others to do the more progressive work. Perhaps because that is the same job that a number of our recent managers did as players is why he has been a regular over a number of seasons. We need a player who can do the same job of keeping things ticking over and not giving the ball away but with a little more dynamism but until we get a player who demonstrates that they can do that I think he will continue to be in the side more often than not.

The issue is that he cannot influence games. I think once Jedinek gets up to speed, he will influence defensively where Westwood does not.  Tshibola has the legs and is strong, something that Westwood does not possess.  So in a midfield three, that leaves creativity.  With the best will in the world, Westwood does not offer that.

To accommodate Westwood, you are almost forced into two defensive midfield players which is never going to get us promoted.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #235 on: September 26, 2016, 12:45:15 PM »
You can't have a midfielder in the team just to play easy 10 yard passes.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #236 on: September 26, 2016, 12:47:02 PM »
You can't have a midfielder in the team just to play easy 10 yard passes.

Is what it boils down to.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #237 on: September 26, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »
It was fun watching Westwood in the second half on Saturday. He seemed to throw away the steady Eddie persona and turn into my Labrador. He just seemed to leg it forward aimlessly when anyone was holding the ball (stick). He'd then turn around to find that the ball (stick) hadn't been passed (thrown) in his direction and come back. Bizarre analogy I know but that's what watching Villa does to me.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #238 on: September 26, 2016, 01:09:13 PM »

Maybe, but even in that game (against Manchester United) he made some pretty basic defensive errors.  The one on Saturday was schoolboy stuff and was exactly like the first goal at Luton.   

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #239 on: September 26, 2016, 01:09:42 PM »
Yes, that's what he reminds me of. Either a daft dog, or a crisp packet in a breeze.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal