collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jonathan Kodjia - SOLD  (Read 256643 times)

Online Deano's Mullet

Re: Jonathan Kodjia - SOLD
« Reply #1755 on: January 20, 2020, 06:50:25 PM »
I will choose to remember the Jonathan Kodjia of the 16-17 season. His goal against Fulham, his brace against Norwich,  he was one goal off breaking the 20 goal barrier before he got injured and was never the same  after in attitude or work rate.  He was probably the most exciting striker we had had since Yorke at that point in time. Good luck to him and as was said on the back of the Omnibus edition of Heroes and Villains in 2017, thanks a lot because without him we might have been in relegation trouble that season.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #1756 on: January 20, 2020, 06:53:04 PM »
Great first season albeit in a one dimensional Bruce side where his ability to demonstrate a little bit of magic was the mantra that is Bruceball.

After his injury a mid table Championship side.  Given what we signed him for 3 and a 1/2 years ago
(£12m?) and selling him now when he’s clearly not part of Smiths plans (and doesn’t seem to want to try when given the chance) I think getting him off the wage bill probably saves us the best part of £1m for the rest of the season and books a small profit with FFP.

The fact we haven’t brought another striker in is irrelevant given as some have said Vassilev has looked more useful as an option.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1757 on: January 20, 2020, 07:22:55 PM »
I will choose to remember the Jonathan Kodjia of the 16-17 season. His goal against Fulham, his brace against Norwich,  he was one goal off breaking the 20 goal barrier before he got injured and was never the same  after in attitude or work rate.  He was probably the most exciting striker we had had since Yorke at that point in time. Good luck to him and as was said on the back of the Omnibus edition of Heroes and Villains in 2017, thanks a lot because without him we might have been in relegation trouble that season.

As you say, remember the good times and move on.  Never the same after that injury for whatever reason.  In truth, it would probably have been better if he had gone at the end of last season but going now is best for the Club and the player.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1758 on: January 20, 2020, 10:41:30 PM »
It was a great first season, getting injured was a blow, made some important contributions in getting us up but he lost interest and got frustrated as his first team opportunities were limited and I just don’t think his body will do the things he used to be able to do. Good luck Kodj.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1759 on: January 20, 2020, 10:52:22 PM »
DS not pulling his punches:

https://twitter.com/villareport/status/1219387687691542528
villareport
@villareport
Dean Smith: “Why was Kodjia sold? Because he wasn't up to the standard, in my opinion. He hadn't got to the level of fitness that, for me, was required for the Premier League. That's the minimum standard to play Premier League football.” [birmingham live] #avfc

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1760 on: January 20, 2020, 10:59:00 PM »
Is that a real quote?!  Never heard a manager talk in such terms.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1761 on: January 20, 2020, 11:00:21 PM »
Is that a real quote?!  Never heard a manager talk in such terms.

I think so. I think that account just aggregates content from online news sources.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1762 on: January 20, 2020, 11:09:06 PM »
When asked about why he let the striker go, Smith said: "Because he wasn't up to the standard, in my opinion. He hadn't got to the level of fitness that, for me, was required for the Premier League. That's the minimum standard to play Premier League football."

Kodjia had played just 111 minutes of Premier League football this term. He scored nine goals during Villa's promotion season last term but, this season, struggled for form and fitness - and played second-fiddle to Brazilian striker Wesley.

"One, he didn’t get the minutes," Smith replied, when asked why Kodjia's fitness hadn't been up to scratch. "He got injured against Spurs after coming on and he was out for a month or two.

"He had to work very hard, he didn’t have a pre-season due to the African Cup of Nations and then an injury followed. He’s had to work very hard to get to the levels and, due to Wesley playing, he’s not had the minutes to get up to speed with games."

Smith added: "Unfortunately, he wanted to move on and I was happy to let that happen. He left the training ground ill before the Leicester City game, there was no problem, it was just circumstances.

"Kodjia did well for me in the Championship but he always knew Tammy (Abraham) was No.1 choice. When Tammy got injured, he stepped up to the plate and scored some important goals for us last season."

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1763 on: January 20, 2020, 11:13:55 PM »
Totally understand the problem with a player not having the required level of fitness for this level, however....  *looks at most of the rest of the squad*

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1764 on: January 20, 2020, 11:15:07 PM »
Totally understand the problem with a player not having the required level of fitness for this level, however....  *looks at most of the rest of the squad*

Ha!

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1765 on: January 20, 2020, 11:18:07 PM »

villareport
@villareport
Dean Smith: “Why was Kodjia sold? Because he wasn't up to the standard, in my opinion. He hadn't got to the level of fitness that, for me, was required for the Premier League. That's the minimum standard to play Premier League football.” [birmingham live] #avfc

I must say that's pretty fucking ironic coming from a man who insists on playing a clearly unfit and out of his depth Danny Drinkwater in order to, eventually, at some point, maybe, get him match fit for another club.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1766 on: January 20, 2020, 11:19:24 PM »

villareport
@villareport

I must say that's pretty fucking ironic coming from a man who insists on playing a clearly unfit and out of his depth Danny Drinkwater in order to, eventually, at some point, maybe, get him match fit for another club.

That, too.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1767 on: January 20, 2020, 11:19:47 PM »

villareport
@villareport

And a man with access to the confidential fitness data.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1768 on: January 20, 2020, 11:23:32 PM »

villareport
@villareport

Read the whole story.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:25:56 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1769 on: January 20, 2020, 11:29:14 PM »
Kodjia certainly did himself no favours in his, admittedly small, appearances this season. From a managers point of view, it was probably only Davis’s injury that meant he played again after costing us the game against Liverpool.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal