collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stanley Victor Collymore  (Read 101315 times)

Offline SirSteveUK

Re: Stanley Victor Collymore
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2016, 08:48:59 PM »
Every time I see his full name - why do I always think of "Porridge"?

;)

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2016, 09:29:14 PM »
I like Collymore, God knows how I'd react to constant racist abuse and general cruel behaviour towards me. I don't blame him for lashing out, it must feel pretty lonely to take that and come out the other side.

I've enjoyed having a strong Villa voice in the media, someone to remind the Sky generation of who Villa are. That said I don't think he's really qualified to be on the board of Aston Villa. Then again, who really is?

Depends on the requirements of the role really.  I think Ian Taylor would be a good shout and one name I haven't seen mentioned is Stilyan Petrov. 

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2016, 09:30:54 PM »
Well said Stan.  In the absence of anyone else on the playing side having the balls to go public I'm with him on it.  Whatever he's done or not done I hope the laughter didn't happen because it's horrible if it did.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2016, 09:58:48 PM »
I thought SVC had sacked Twitter off a while back after they'd refused to act on racist abuse he'd received.

Regarding who he supported, I'd always assumed it was Wolves in the past - during his Liverpool days when they'd not got a Saturday game he'd regularly be seen watching games at The Molyneux. His performances for Villa didn't make me change my mind much. Additionally, I used to work with someone who knew him from school. He described him as a Wolves fan who was always in fights.

An important point was made earlier that hasn't been dwelled on; one of the attendees suggesting that there was no laughter. Was SVC being played up by someone, or is it an attempt at self promotion?

I gather he is still on medication for his depression. Not and excuse for battering a former weather presenter, but perhaps an explanation for his out-of-sorts form for Villa.

You're never cured of depression once you've had a severe depressive episode, you're always a depressive waiting for the next episode.

Most psychiatrists these days will prescribe a lowish dose of a mild anti depressive as a preventive measure and to soften the blow when the inevitable happens. It will also make ramping up to full dosage quicker if required.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2016, 10:04:43 PM »
I thought SVC had sacked Twitter off a while back after they'd refused to act on racist abuse he'd received.

Regarding who he supported, I'd always assumed it was Wolves in the past - during his Liverpool days when they'd not got a Saturday game he'd regularly be seen watching games at The Molyneux. His performances for Villa didn't make me change my mind much. Additionally, I used to work with someone who knew him from school. He described him as a Wolves fan who was always in fights.

An important point was made earlier that hasn't been dwelled on; one of the attendees suggesting that there was no laughter. Was SVC being played up by someone, or is it an attempt at self promotion?

I gather he is still on medication for his depression. Not and excuse for battering a former weather presenter, but perhaps an explanation for his out-of-sorts form for Villa.

There wasn't much mileage in being a Wolves fan in the great media Premier League wankfest. Looks like he's still backed the wrong horse in his late change of allegiance if we go down. He'll have to switch to the Baggies...

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2016, 10:06:28 PM »
I was delighted when he joined us but what a waster he turned out be as a player.
Depression or not he destroyed Sir Brian's managerial career and ..... as for board appointment  yes get him in as he has made a good recovery and now is the highest profile ex player we have in football.

No one player makes or breaks a managers career. If you ever put yourself in that position of reliance then its bad management anyway.
On this basis you could just as easily say David Platt made Graham Taylors career, or JPA made DOLs career (for one season).

Taylor had already done his best work years before Platt whereas looking at Little's career it was all uphill until he signed Collymore, and down after that. Collymore wasn't the only reason but he was definitely a major factor.

I've always felt that the Curcic transfer going south after a briefly promising start was the first wobble.
I think it was the end of the season before we signed Collymore there was an article in the fanzine bemoaning the fact that we needed "a manager who could manipulate the top end of the market effectively."
Collymore and all the baggage that came with him was a wrecking ball straight through everything Little had built up to that point.

Offline villalion

« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2016, 10:22:13 PM »
Every time I see his full name - why do I always think of "Porridge"?

Because anybody who slaps a women about should go to prison for 5 years
 ;)

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2016, 10:24:18 PM »
I've written plenty about Stan and I'm still undecided about him. On the one hand the way he was treated in some quarters when the depression story broke was disgraceful and I regret that I was in the "What's he got to be depressed about?" camp back then. On the other hand, it does seem a convenient excuse for his subsequent behaviour.

1What I do believe is that he's his own worst enemy; you can't be as outspoken as him and at the same time be so thin-skinned. Again, I'm not sure how much of this can be put down to what reason and I hope it doesn't sound unsympathetic but he does strike me as in some way enjoying victim status. 
Well without getting into an off topic debate we do like a good excuse in this country and we do love a good label. 2But some of his behaviour, regardless of depression was simply inexcusable. There's been repugnant behaviour as we all know, but at the same time he has done some pretty moronic things in his time. The Leicester training camp incident was one had an enormous gamble taken on him, to do that after a few weeks at a new club at a point where his career is at a crossroads is probably one of the most blithering and foolish things an experienced footballer has ever done.

You are correct though, he is his own worst enemy. Just when you think SVC has a voice of reason and can sum up the general mood of the Villa fans, he'll come out the next day and say something completely contradictory which alienates himself from us. Consistency, in any form, has never been one of his strong points.

I would say that now, particularly after Speed's death, depression in football is more widely recognised. You'd like to think clubs are more well equipped to deal with depression or behavioural issues now. I mean 20 years ago would anyone have had a clue about sports psychologists? But if Stan was plying his trade now would he be any different? I don't think he would. The club might not have acted as sympathetically as it could (and most other clubs would have been no different) but Stan was his own worst enemy. He does have a touch of the "woe is me" about him and I don't say that merely about his depression, but anytime someone gets at him, for whatever reason as that rant seems to clearly suggest.

1. Yet another aspect of depression for some people. Self loathing / low self-esteem boil over and can be expressed pretty violently, either in words as per the rant, or physically as with Ulrika. Then you come down and realise that, at best, you've made a complete arse of yourself and you know the kick back you've got coming. If you're naturally think skinned anyway, it's twice as bad right now.

Tom, the same applies to the highlighted bit as above, but point 2, there's a difference between an excuse and a reason or an explanation. If you can show sympathy or empathy for some like McGrath when the temptation to drink gets too much, then the same should apply to someone having a depressive episode. Not trying to compare them as men or footballers, just troubled, high profile ex footballers. Both with their problems, both have done things for which there really are no excuses whilst prey to their troubles, albeit McGrath's have been embarrassing rather than criminal.

As a general point, no two depressive episodes for an individual are the same, let alone two depressive individuals. The only thing psychologists and psychiatrists have to work with is some general characteristics and typical responses.  As an example of how imprecise all of this is, lithium chloride is the most widely prescribed and most effective treatment for controlling bi-polar disorder. No one on the planet can explain how or why it works, it just does.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 10:36:03 PM by Villa in Denmark »

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2016, 10:39:09 PM »
I like Collymore, God knows how I'd react to constant racist abuse and general cruel behaviour towards me. I don't blame him for lashing out, it must feel pretty lonely to take that and come out the other side.

I've enjoyed having a strong Villa voice in the media, someone to remind the Sky generation of who Villa are. That said I don't think he's really qualified to be on the board of Aston Villa. Then again, who really is?

Depends on the requirements of the role really.  I think Ian Taylor would be a good shout and one name I haven't seen mentioned is Stilyan Petrov. 

Taylor I wouldn't disagree with but Petrov I'd be surprised at. Why would he be a good board member for Aston Villa, sentiment aside?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2016, 10:47:09 PM »

Taylor I wouldn't disagree with but Petrov I'd be surprised at. Why would he be a good board member for Aston Villa, sentiment aside?

Been involved fairly recent in different roles at the club.  Well thought of by both fans and people at the club.  I'm not saying he is a definite, but I wouldn't be surprised to see his name mentioned.   

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2016, 10:58:58 PM »

Been involved fairly recent in different roles at the club.  Well thought of by both fans and people at the club.  I'm not saying he is a definite, but I wouldn't be surprised to see his name mentioned.

I'd say that Taylor was more the sentimental choice and Petrov the more rational choice. Who outside of us knows Ian Taylor?

If we're talking about someone to make our case in the media and be taken seriously, Petrov has played for us more recently and he's more high profile due to also playing for Celtic and Bulgaria.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2016, 11:13:37 PM »

I'd say that Taylor was more the sentimental choice and Petrov the more rational choice. Who outside of us knows Ian Taylor?

If we're talking about someone to make our case in the media and be taken seriously, Petrov has played for us more recently and he's more high profile due to also playing for Celtic and Bulgaria.

He's mostly high-profile to the general sporting public for his battle with leukaemia, surely?

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2016, 11:29:59 PM »
If the role is just a sort of mouthpiece for the club then sure, I see your point on Petrov. I'd still argue that Taylor is a genuine Villa fan, has won a trophy with us and generally has a long and celebrated history with the club.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2016, 11:31:35 PM »
I think he's a pretty reasonable pundit, comparatively speaking, as long as he's not talking about the Villa when he loses all rationality and often ends up looking a bit daft frankly.

I'm much the same.

Offline LTA

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2016, 11:33:04 PM »
Tayls would be a great shout.  Already at the club, a genuine fan and a very underrated player in an excellent side.  Plus I believe he already has a flourishing business away from the game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal