collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stanley Victor Collymore  (Read 101149 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Stanley Victor Collymore
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2016, 07:52:17 PM »
Didn't he write in his book that all Villa fans are Range Rover driving snobs from Worcester or Stafford?

Yes and that apparently you don't see Villa fans in Birmingham. The guy talks out of his arse and changes position to suit whatever the media scrum or agenda is that month. He was hardly Villa's biggest critic whilst he was saying his piece in the programme. He's just throwing his toys out of the pram.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2016, 07:56:07 PM »
Stan was never a 6/7 out of ten player every week,
he was a 8/9 out of ten one week then a 3 out of ten the following 5

I remember games I think second half against Arsenal when we were 2 down at HT and another against Athletico Madrid where he was virtually unplayable, then other times he was the worst player you ever saw in a Villa shirt

Offline supertom

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2016, 07:57:14 PM »
Collymore's biggest fan is himself. He always had, and still does have a fucking massive ego. He's that sort of guy you can imagine down the pub. You talk to him for a bit and for 10 minutes you think "he's alright." Then you start eyeing the exit because it becomes apparent that he's not remotely interested in anything you have to say that doesn't revolve around him and you leave some time later safely assured that the man is a gobshite.

SVC will often raise some good points, but when it comes to reasoned argument he's no good and the high opinion he seems to have of himself never quite helps him either.

I think Gregory once said something along the lines that Collymore had as much if not more talent than Thierry Henry but his fatal flaw was that he was far too self absorbed to be a team player, and ultimately that's a big failing and also a reason why his career from his second season at Liverpool just seemed to go increasingly downhill before snowballing off a cliff into early retirement. He may have had problems with depression and behavioural issues, but he wasn't the only player who has or ever will suffer, and it doesn't make you exempt from having the right attitude on the pitch. Gary Speed as an example springs to mind. Sometimes people are too quick to make excuses.

Two of the best forwards England has produced in 30 years were Dalian and SVC. One can only imagine if they had the work ethic and reliability to match their talent, but then again you could argue they'd never have ended up here, even in the days we could attract a big name player.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2016, 08:03:07 PM »
I've written plenty about Stan and I'm still undecided about him. On the one hand the way he was treated in some quarters when the depression story broke was disgraceful and I regret that I was in the "What's he got to be depressed about?" camp back then. On the other hand, it does seem a convenient excuse for his subsequent behaviour.

What I do believe is that he's his own worst enemy; you can't be as outspoken as him and at the same time be so thin-skinned. Again, I'm not sure how much of this can be put down to what reason and I hope it doesn't sound unsympathetic but he does strike me as in some way enjoying victim status. 

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2016, 08:04:45 PM »
Loads of undoubted talent, a loose cannon, a reputation for trouble, a career of up and downs, and brought into a team of young players that was being carefully nurtured and built. I could be talking about Cantona or Collymore.
You take the chance and  roll the dice and see if the square peg fits into the round hole. What a bloody crying shame it didn't come off.   

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2016, 08:05:18 PM »
The man still suffers from mental illness so who knows what state of mind he is at the moment.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2016, 08:08:13 PM »
I rather get the feeling that Collymore only has twitter to look forward to when he gets home. It's all a bit sad.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2016, 08:13:31 PM »
I was going to use the words 'thin skinned' in my post earlier which Dave hinted. The fact that people laughed at the thought of him being on the board shouldn't bother him in the slightest really.

I do like him on Talk Sport though, even if he does over stress the point that he supports us.

Offline supertom

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2016, 08:16:05 PM »
I've written plenty about Stan and I'm still undecided about him. On the one hand the way he was treated in some quarters when the depression story broke was disgraceful and I regret that I was in the "What's he got to be depressed about?" camp back then. On the other hand, it does seem a convenient excuse for his subsequent behaviour.

What I do believe is that he's his own worst enemy; you can't be as outspoken as him and at the same time be so thin-skinned. Again, I'm not sure how much of this can be put down to what reason and I hope it doesn't sound unsympathetic but he does strike me as in some way enjoying victim status. 
Well without getting into an off topic debate we do like a good excuse in this country and we do love a good label. But some of his behaviour, regardless of depression was simply inexcusable. There's been repugnant behaviour as we all know, but at the same time he has done some pretty moronic things in his time. The Leicester training camp incident was one had an enormous gamble taken on him, to do that after a few weeks at a new club at a point where his career is at a crossroads is probably one of the most blithering and foolish things an experienced footballer has ever done.

You are correct though, he is his own worst enemy. Just when you think SVC has a voice of reason and can sum up the general mood of the Villa fans, he'll come out the next day and say something completely contradictory which alienates himself from us. Consistency, in any form, has never been one of his strong points.

I would say that now, particularly after Speed's death, depression in football is more widely recognised. You'd like to think clubs are more well equipped to deal with depression or behavioural issues now. I mean 20 years ago would anyone have had a clue about sports psychologists? But if Stan was plying his trade now would he be any different? I don't think he would. The club might not have acted as sympathetically as it could (and most other clubs would have been no different) but Stan was his own worst enemy. He does have a touch of the "woe is me" about him and I don't say that merely about his depression, but anytime someone gets at him, for whatever reason as that rant seems to clearly suggest.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2016, 08:19:32 PM »
I thought SVC had sacked Twitter off a while back after they'd refused to act on racist abuse he'd received.

Regarding who he supported, I'd always assumed it was Wolves in the past - during his Liverpool days when they'd not got a Saturday game he'd regularly be seen watching games at The Molyneux. His performances for Villa didn't make me change my mind much. Additionally, I used to work with someone who knew him from school. He described him as a Wolves fan who was always in fights.

An important point was made earlier that hasn't been dwelled on; one of the attendees suggesting that there was no laughter. Was SVC being played up by someone, or is it an attempt at self promotion?

I gather he is still on medication for his depression. Not and excuse for battering a former weather presenter, but perhaps an explanation for his out-of-sorts form for Villa.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2016, 08:27:26 PM »
He adores his own voice on the radio, he just talks over every person who call's the show.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2016, 08:30:21 PM »
To be honest, the amount of wrong-headed pundits in the media that just don't get us is counter-balanced by Collymore who, while often a little wide of the mark too, at least sticks up for us.
The amount of times we're force-fed no-marks like Danny Mills asking, agog, ''What do Villa fans expect exactly?'' makes me want to smash up the radio.

Offline supertom

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2016, 08:35:26 PM »
That said, I will always love his reaction to the equalizer in the 3-3 with Chelsea a few years back. That was quality.

Online Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2016, 08:48:01 PM »
I remember reading Collymore's autobiography (written with the help of Emily Bishop's son). He recalled the death of one of his sisters. He asked his mom if she minded if he didn't attend the funeral as he'd booked a holiday which clashed with the date of the funeral and didn't want to cancel his holiday. His mom said she didn't mind, so he went on holiday. Not sure what my point is, other than it illustrates one of my probably many annoying opinions sometimes told to my friends and family - there's no right or wrong, there's just what people do. Even if me/they think it's strange.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2016, 08:48:42 PM »
I like Collymore, God knows how I'd react to constant racist abuse and general cruel behaviour towards me. I don't blame him for lashing out, it must feel pretty lonely to take that and come out the other side.

I've enjoyed having a strong Villa voice in the media, someone to remind the Sky generation of who Villa are. That said I don't think he's really qualified to be on the board of Aston Villa. Then again, who really is?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal