collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: That Gestede Throw In  (Read 24840 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: That Gestede Throw In
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2015, 12:03:21 PM »
if he didn't want him to have the ball back  he shouldn't have thrown it back to him, just be honest about it

He didn't throw it back to him - he threw it out for a goal-kick. Perfectly honest.

It's not Gestede's fault that Hart wanted to try and keep the ball in play rather than just accepting the goal-kick.

yes I can see what your saying now,
I didn't fully understand where you were coming from at first (my fault)
if that is indeed what happened then I agree that's fair enough

I just saw Gestede throwing the ball quite hard at Hart and running straight after it, but I'm happy to go with your reading of it if that's what happened

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2015, 12:06:25 PM »
If this thread was about one of their players doing exactly the same thing to us, this thread would be littered with people calling them 'classless wankers' etc.

I really despair if a little bit of sportsmanship is too much for some people.

Whatever you think about the throw - the fact he chased after it so fast tells us his intentions.  Yes Hart could and should have let it go out - so this is a moot point. 

But the amount of 'I don't like this sportsmanship' stuff on this thread is nothing but staggering.  We are Villa and pride ourselves on having class.  There's a distinct lack of it in some of the comments on here.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2015, 12:06:46 PM »
Our most purposeful throw in for four years

Since Sidwell's assist.

Offline john e

« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2015, 12:20:06 PM »
If this thread was about one of their players doing exactly the same thing to us, this thread would be littered with people calling them 'classless wankers' etc.

Whatever you think about the throw - the fact he chased after it so fast tells us his intentions.  Yes Hart could and should have let it go out - so this is a moot point. 

But the amount of 'I don't like this sportsmanship' stuff on this thread is nothing but staggering.  We are Villa and pride ourselves on having class.  There's a distinct lack of it in some of the comments on here.

i'm sure if it was John Terry or Diego Costa we would give them both the benefit of the doubt     8)

Offline john e

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2015, 12:21:12 PM »

Since Sidwell's assist.

ha ha, yes the most memorable moment of his career with us is the one where he isn't even playing

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »
I've just looked on the Bluemoon forum and this subject has been debated on there.
I would like to summarise this entertaining conversation in the style of Liam Gallagher:

*stands at microphone with arms behind back*

*clears throat*

"Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine."

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2015, 12:29:57 PM »

There's a massive difference between genuine sportsmanship and the staged nonsense we get now. Thise who are outraged by Gestede will likely also say diving, claiming a throw you know isn't yours and trying to influence the referee are fine.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »

Since Sidwell's assist.

ha ha, yes the most memorable moment of his career with us is the one where he isn't even playing
At least Gestede will be memorable for actually being on the pitch!

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2015, 12:35:54 PM »
Well said Dave. Nobody on here is suggesting we should try and cheat our way to success but that doesn't mean we have to observe these nonsensical modern 'rules' about putting the ball out of touch and not celebrating goals at your old club, etc. etc. or face the judgement of the mob.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2015, 12:37:35 PM »
We returned the ball, Hart decided to try and be clever and cocked it up. It's his fault.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2015, 12:40:10 PM »
It was Hart's fault he should have let it go out for a goal kick.

yes

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2015, 12:54:16 PM »
if he didn't want him to have the ball back  he shouldn't have thrown it back to him, just be honest about it

He didn't throw it back to him - he threw it out for a goal-kick. Perfectly honest.

It's not Gestede's fault that Hart wanted to try and keep the ball in play rather than just accepting the goal-kick.

I just saw Gestede throwing the ball quite hard at Hart and running straight after it, but I'm happy to go with your reading of it if that's what happened

And don't get me wrong - if that's not what he was planning and he thought "I'm going to launch this as hard as I can so it bounces off him and we get a corner", then I'd fully agree with your original thought that it was an extremely dickish thing to do.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2015, 01:12:19 PM »
We returned the ball, Hart decided to try and be clever and cocked it up. It's his fault.

is the correct answer

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2015, 01:27:53 PM »

And don't get me wrong - if that's not what he was planning and he thought "I'm going to launch this as hard as I can so it bounces off him and we get a corner", then I'd fully agree with your original thought that it was an extremely dickish thing to do.

The way he chased it down it certainly looks like that was in his thinking - or at least I'm going to pressure him and hope he makes a mistake.  Which isn't really in the spirit of giving the ball back in the first place.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2015, 01:28:41 PM »
I was convinced we would score from that corner. It is one of the unwritten rules of football that controversial corners always lead to goals, in the same way that if a defender inadvertently shins an easy clearance back over their own goal line instead of upfield the corner that follows always results in a goal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal