collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: That Gestede Throw In  (Read 24842 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: That Gestede Throw In
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »
He was clearly throwing the ball out for the goal kick which Hart made a pig's ear of.  This giving the ball back unwritten rule nonsense does my head in.  Players spend the entire game trying in any way to get an advantage but as soon as a player goes down and the ball is put out this holier than thou attitude springs to life.  The ref should be the one to stop the game for 90% of cases. He should then restart the game with a good old fashioned vigorously contested bounce up. 

I disagree.  There should still be a place for sportsmanship and it's quite sad that some think otherwise.  You cant always rely on a ref to stop the game, he may not have fully seen an incident or may just be a complete fuckwit like Dean last week.

With this said, Hart should have let the ball go out - he was trying to get the game going too quickly and it was his error.  But I still agree with Keown on this one.  If teams pause before putting the ball out when one of our players is down again - maybe with something far more serious - then we can only blame ourselves.

Kicking the ball out when a player goes down is a shit part of modern football. That and not celebrating when a player scores against an old club. We're not the fucking Corinthians

And what does a bit of sportsmanship cost us?  How does it detract from the game?  How can your seriously have a problem with it?  Footballers rarely set a good example in life and one of the few things they could do you want to stamp out for no good reason?  You sound like a dinosaur.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:13:27 AM by chrisw1 »

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2015, 10:14:47 AM »
He was clearly throwing the ball out for the goal kick which Hart made a pig's ear of.  This giving the ball back unwritten rule nonsense does my head in.  Players spend the entire game trying in any way to get an advantage but as soon as a player goes down and the ball is put out this holier than thou attitude springs to life.  The ref should be the one to stop the game for 90% of cases. He should then restart the game with a good old fashioned vigorously contested bounce up. 

I disagree.  There should still be a place for sportsmanship and it's quite sad that some think otherwise.  You cant always rely on a ref to stop the game, he may not have fully seen an incident or may just be a complete fuckwit like Dean last week.

With this said, Hart should have let the ball go out - he was trying to get the game going too quickly and it was his error.  But I still agree with Keown on this one.  If teams pause before putting the ball out when one of our players is down again - maybe with something far more serious - then we can only blame ourselves.

Diving for a penalty, feigning injury, showing imaginary cards at the ref, pulling shirts, time wasting etc are not what I'd consider sportmanship but it goes on in every game.  We get all that sorted then we can introduce these unwritten rules.  And i did say 90% of times it should be up to the ref the other 10% is sufficient for anyone on the field to see if there is something clearly wrong with a player who is down.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2015, 10:18:16 AM »

Flawed logic there I'm afraid.  If there's any "retribution" or karma bollocks coming out of that, it will be us not getting the ball back and possibly conceding when we would have expected the ball to be returned.

Got nothing at all to do with not putting the ball out.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2015, 10:18:35 AM »

Kicking the ball out when a player goes down is a shit part of modern football. That and not celebrating when a player scores against an old club. We're not the fucking Corinthians

And what does a bit of sportsmanship cost us?  How does it detract from the game?  How can your seriously have a problem with it?  Footballers rarely set a good example in life and one of the few things they could do you want to stamp out for no good reason?  You sound like a dinosaur.

It's not sportsmanship, it's sheep mentality. And whatever happened to the drop ball?

Offline peter w

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2015, 10:19:14 AM »

we were trying to do the right thing. Gestede told Hart what he was going to do and yet Hart wanted the ball, taking the Villa player out of the equation and launching it. We were giving the ball back. How many times must we do it until Man City ate happy. Hart fucked it up and the result was the corner. From there its game on.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2015, 10:19:19 AM »

Diving for a penalty, feigning injury, showing imaginary cards at the ref, pulling shirts, time wasting etc are not what I'd consider sportmanship but it goes on in every game.  We get all that sorted then we can introduce these unwritten rules.  And i did say 90% of times it should be up to the ref the other 10% is sufficient for anyone on the field to see if there is something clearly wrong with a player who is down.

Of course they are not and should be stamped out.  But wtf has this go to do with something that is?  I am just baffled that anybody would want to critisise good sportsmanship.  I just find it unbelievable.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2015, 10:20:50 AM »

Flawed logic there I'm afraid.  If there's any "retribution" or karma bollocks coming out of that, it will be us not getting the ball back and possibly conceding when we would have expected the ball to be returned.

No it's not.  Not flawed at all.  Do you think City will put the ball out if circumstances arise next time we play them?

Online Eckybloke

• GM : 06.06.2019
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2015, 10:22:21 AM »
It wasn't even thrown that hard.  It almost looks like Hart takes his eye off it a bit because Rudy starts running towards him.  Anyway, love that we're starting to show a bit of spirit.  :D

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2015, 10:22:25 AM »

No it's not.  Not flawed at all.  Do you think City will put the ball out if circumstances arise next time we play them?

Why wouldn't they? That's not where anyone's got a beef.

If anyone should have a problem with teams not putting the ball out, then it's us after those scrotes from North London took the piss last Monday in collaboration with Mike Dean.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2015, 10:25:26 AM »

we were trying to do the right thing. Gestede told Hart what he was going to do and yet Hart wanted the ball, taking the Villa player out of the equation and launching it. We were giving the ball back. How many times must we do it until Man City ate happy. Hart fucked it up and the result was the corner. From there its game on.

Precisely.

I'm all for sportsmanship, which is what we showed in trying to put the ball out for a goal-kick for Hart to restart play.

The only thing even slightly unsporting about this incident is him wanting to keep play moving quicker while Gestede is massively out of position having just taken the throw-in.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2015, 10:30:43 AM »
This attitude that we'd better not rile other teams in case they try harder/don't put the ball out of touch/pick on us and steal our dinner money doesn't add up. Do the likes of wenger, jose, LVG take that approach, or the exact opposite (zero good will for other teams, cynical mind games, calling the ref out, instructing niggly buggers like costa to get in the faces of the opposition)?

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2015, 10:33:12 AM »
Our most purposeful throw in for four years

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2015, 10:35:24 AM »
This attitude that we'd better not rile other teams in case they try harder/don't put the ball out of touch/pick on us and steal our dinner money doesn't add up. Do the likes of wenger, jose, LVG take that approach, or the exact opposite (zero good will for other teams, cynical mind games, calling the ref out, instructing niggly buggers like costa to get in the faces of the opposition)?

just don't throw the ball back then,
 we have every right to keep it its not in the rules where we have to do give it back to them

I do think there should be sportsmanship in the game, and I would support giving the ball back,
but if you want to be cynical as you say that's fair enough I just don't think you can do both like Gestede did

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »
but if you want to be cynical as you say that's fair enough I just don't think you can do both like Gestede did

He didn't.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2015, 10:39:16 AM »
I don't even know why this is being debated.  Hart was given the ball back and chose to try and control it being smart and completely failed.  It was his own fault.  Putting it out for a goalkick from the corner would have made no sense whatsoever and I for one would have celebrated wildly if Gestede had scored with the subsequent shot.  It is about time we started standing up for ourselves, stopped the fawning over these wonderful players in the tunnel, got into them like we did yesterday and showing people we can compete.  I didn't notice too many people jumping out of their commentary seats when Snake II dived trying to win a penalty for Citeh yesterday - Alan twatface Smith even said it was a penalty!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal