collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 01:42:08 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:36:50 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:31:49 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:10:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 01:10:39 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:48:15 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 01:42:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 01:37:11 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:36:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:36:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 01:35:37 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:34:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:33:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 01:32:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: That Gestede Throw In  (Read 24826 times)

Offline walsall villain

Re: That Gestede Throw In
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »
Finally found someone who can take a decent throw in though 😉

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2015, 04:50:14 PM »
When Henry scored that quick free kick against us a few years ago, my main thought was not that he'd brought the moral fibre of the game into question. I mainly wished we had a player that quick thinking, ruthless and skilful.

I agree and I still thought cheating c***.

In hindsight I really wish Rudy had launched the ball high at the goal just out of Hart's reach which resulted in Hart palming it into the net due to his reluctance to let the ball go out of play.

I was thinking how funny it would have been if one of our players ran up to Gestede, he throws the ball to them instead and he shoots into the open goal.

That would've been good.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2015, 05:02:46 PM »
As was said on MOTD last night, perhaps we should have just simply given them the ball back from the corner. We weren't far from scoring, desperate as we are I wouldn't want that, we would be in a rage if it happened the other way around.
Why? Keown is a goon.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2015, 05:13:26 PM »
If it had happened the other way round, we would have blamed Guzan. I am in no doubt. Not necessarily because it would have been his fault, but because we have got into the habit of thinking things are his fault.

Offline FiveKenMcNaughts

« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2015, 05:24:22 PM »
The reason he wouldn't give Hart where he wanted was because we already had one player off the field in N'Zogbia, Gestede would have been on the sideline throwing it directly to Hart.
It's not about sportsmanship, giving it where Hart wanted it is giving City a two man advantage in the middle of the park. Why should we do that?

I sit right behind where the throw-in was taken and Gestede was telling Hart to get into goal as he would throw it for a goal kick. Hart wanted it on his chest.... No way was Gestede trying to win a corner, he was trying to concede a goal kick

Offline Chris Stares

« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »
As was said on MOTD last night, perhaps we should have just simply given them the ball back from the corner. We weren't far from scoring, desperate as we are I wouldn't want that, we would be in a rage if it happened the other way around.
Why? Keown is a goon.

And despite Keown's moral indignation at the fact we didn't just kick the resulting corner out for a goal kick, when Chapman pressed him on it asking him whether he would have done the same thing, he offered some politician's answer by evading the question and saying something about it wasn't his job to take corners.  So that would be a "no" then Martin, you ape-faced twat.

Offline ExclDawg

« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2015, 09:25:21 PM »
The way he chased it down it certainly looks like that was in his thinking - or at least I'm going to pressure him and hope he makes a mistake.  Which isn't really in the spirit of giving the ball back in the first place.

Not at all.  Look at the replay again.  He throws the ball in, stands there for a second, and then when he sees that Hart is going to make a play on it, he runs in to defend against it.  Gestede wanted to throw the ball out to force a goal-kick the entire time and even motioned Hart to move out of the way.  Hart stood there anyway, so Gestede threw it hard to get it quickly past the end-line.  Instead, Hart jumped in to try and get a quick man-advantage, and screwed it up anyway.  If anyone was trying to be unsportsmanlike, it was Hart for trying to quickly play the ball while Gestede was out of position.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2015, 09:46:56 PM »
The reason he wouldn't give Hart where he wanted was because we already had one player off the field in N'Zogbia, Gestede would have been on the sideline throwing it directly to Hart.
It's not about sportsmanship, giving it where Hart wanted it is giving City a two man advantage in the middle of the park. Why should we do that?

I sit right behind where the throw-in was taken and Gestede was telling Hart to get into goal as he would throw it for a goal kick. Hart wanted it on his chest.... No way was Gestede trying to win a corner, he was trying to concede a goal kick
Exactly this.
If we're going to get on moral high horses about gamesmanship, sportsmanship and cheating there's a few things to remember.

Sportsmanship is about playing within the letter and spirit of the laws which amongst other things means not deliberately seeking an advantage from such situations.

Was Gestede seeking an advantage or merely trying to ensure we weren't disadvantaged by trying to "do the right thing"?

Gamesmanship is trying to take advantage of grey areas, loopholes and the goodwill of others.

Was Hart trying to take advantage of our willingness to play within the spirit of the laws by returning the ball?

Cheating is deliberately going outside of the laws or leading an official to believe that the opposing team had committed a foul.

Was Sterling fouled or trying to convince the referee he had been in the first half ?

From my admittedly one eyed perspective, anyone wanting to complain about our sportsmanship or lack thereof can go away and think again. (or alternatively piss off.)

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2015, 09:52:32 PM »
Our most purposeful throw in for four years

Since Sidwell's assist.

was this the game vs Boro during MON's third season? we lost 2-1.  Didn't James Milner score a great lob vs Hull from a quick and clever throw in too?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2015, 09:56:01 PM »

Since Sidwell's assist.

was this the game vs Boro during MON's third season? we lost 2-1.  Didn't James Milner score a great lob vs Hull from a quick and clever throw in too?

It's the Hull one we're on about. Sidwell had a bit of a mare v Boro, scored our equaliser but gave away their winning goal with an under-hit back pass.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2015, 09:57:47 PM »
      Hull highlights. I remember now.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2015, 10:00:59 PM »
Cheating is deliberately going outside of the laws or leading an official to believe that the opposing team had committed a foul.

Was Sterling fouled or trying to convince the referee he had been in the first half ?

I think that we should probably look at the Otamendi/Gil foul again before we climb up to that particular moral high ground.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:06:17 PM by Dave »

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2015, 10:28:26 PM »
he put pace on the throw because he saw hart anticipate its direction , fuck him

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2015, 10:39:04 PM »

Since Sidwell's assist.

I was sat in the Upper Trinity for that one. Sat next to me was my Hull supporting brother in law.

When that happened, he slowly turned to me and had the sort of facial expression that is particular to football supporters, a sort of weird shock / resignation / FFS / only we could do that type of combination.

Marvellous.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2015, 11:07:48 PM »

I think that we should probably look again at the Otamendi/Gil foul again before we climb up to that particular moral high ground.

That's fair enough. In true Wenger style I didn't see it, but if it's as bad as the Stirling one then he deserves pelters for it too. It always did my head in with Young and Ginola before him.

The end conclusion should maybe be that we're all guilty / people in glass houses etc.

The underlying point still holds mind. If they want to try and claim the moral high ground then they can do one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal