collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381647 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #3825 on: March 15, 2023, 12:18:38 PM »
Wasn't he voted player of the year last season?

In other news, Ollie Chessum is out for the w/end.

He was indeed, as I say he's one of the best in what is the strongest league in the world. Given the sheer number of players moving from England to France right now we're weakening ourselves massively by not including them. Aside from anything having players who are familiar with the strengths of french rugby would help us, much like it helps many countries to have football players in the English and Spanish leagues.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3826 on: March 15, 2023, 08:23:11 PM »
Yes the benefits of access to players aren’t really translating at the moment.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3827 on: March 16, 2023, 12:52:57 PM »
We'll find out later but the strong rumours from training are that there will be 3 changes for England with Tuilagi and Ribbans coming in for injuries to Lawrence and Chessum and the only other change being Farrell back in for Smith who might not even make the bench.

In my view when you take a hammering like we did, and at a time so close to a world cup, you can either look back and try to recreate something that has worked in the past or you gamble a little and plan for the future. For me a coach who is going to be judged more on 2027 than 2023 should be looking forward so I'll be very upset if this is the way things go.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3828 on: March 16, 2023, 05:56:01 PM »
We'll find out later but the strong rumours from training are that there will be 3 changes for England with Tuilagi and Ribbans coming in for injuries to Lawrence and Chessum and the only other change being Farrell back in for Smith who might not even make the bench.

In my view when you take a hammering like we did, and at a time so close to a world cup, you can either look back and try to recreate something that has worked in the past or you gamble a little and plan for the future. For me a coach who is going to be judged more on 2027 than 2023 should be looking forward so I'll be very upset if this is the way things go.

Smith benched, Farrell starts. Pointless change.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3829 on: March 16, 2023, 06:10:54 PM »

Not a shock though, I figured as soon as he dropped Farrell that it wouldn't take much to bring him back. My biggest problem with it is that Smith has been singled out, he was nowhere near the biggest problem but people like Van Poorfliet, Dombrandt and Malins keep their places and he doesn't. JVP I'd keep around because I rate him but he had a shocker, the other 2 are nowhere near good enough and cannot be realistically considered the the best player in that position in England, I'd struggle to putdombrandt top 3 and I reckon I could find 7-8 wingers to put ahead of Malins pretty easily.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #3830 on: March 16, 2023, 06:25:57 PM »
A combined fly half of Dan Carter and Jonny Wilkinson would have looked poor against France, given how horrifically the pack played.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3831 on: March 16, 2023, 07:41:16 PM »

Not a shock though, I figured as soon as he dropped Farrell that it wouldn't take much to bring him back. My biggest problem with it is that Smith has been singled out, he was nowhere near the biggest problem but people like Van Poorfliet, Dombrandt and Malins keep their places and he doesn't. JVP I'd keep around because I rate him but he had a shocker, the other 2 are nowhere near good enough and cannot be realistically considered the the best player in that position in England, I'd struggle to putdombrandt top 3 and I reckon I could find 7-8 wingers to put ahead of Malins pretty easily.

Malins is out

Online paul_e

« Reply #3832 on: March 16, 2023, 07:46:28 PM »

Malins is out

He is, I was sure I saw him named earlier, but Arundell starting is a big step in the right direction. I wonder if the one i saw was someone posting the leaked team by mistake. No matter, hopefully it's the last time we see Malins on the wing. I can accept him as an option covering fullback (but still a bit of a way down the list) or a utility back but he's not a winger.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #3833 on: March 17, 2023, 07:46:45 AM »
I’m not sure Smith has been singled out as such. After last week I do understand why you’d want Farrell on from the start. In the short-term they need as much leadership on the pitch as they can get. There’s every chance that even if England play ok they’ll get pumped, I’m not sure that helps Smith at this stage.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3834 on: March 17, 2023, 08:56:17 AM »
I’m not sure Smith has been singled out as such. After last week I do understand why you’d want Farrell on from the start. In the short-term they need as much leadership on the pitch as they can get. There’s every chance that even if England play ok they’ll get pumped, I’m not sure that helps Smith at this stage.

I can see the logic there but I think it's more damaging to him to:
Play him but with Farrell babysitting at 12
Drop him
Give him 8 minutes and 30 seconds as sub in the next 2
Release him to his club where he puts in a man of the match performance
Pick him to start with a proper centre pairing but bring his babysitter back just after halftime
Drop him again

Borthwick really needs to make a decision on this because how he's handled Smith and Farrell in this 6N has been utter bullshit and doesn't help either of them.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #3835 on: March 18, 2023, 05:37:06 PM »
Not much detente being shown in this house at the moment.  C'mon England.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #3836 on: March 18, 2023, 05:43:00 PM »
England have been much better but they’re still to ill disciplined and I do wonder about fitness.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #3837 on: March 18, 2023, 05:51:15 PM »
And there you go.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3838 on: March 18, 2023, 06:01:41 PM »
That's a shocking red card decision to be honest, I don't think it was even a penalty, let alone a sending off. I've got a lot of respect for BoD but his explanation is bullshit, both players have a duty of care, not just Steward. Keenan choosing to pick up the ball after shaping to kick it was putting himself into a dangerous position and meant there was nothing Steward could do to avoid making contact with his head. However you look at it he's bought a red card with his own stupidity. Yes Keenan goes off for a HIA but the extra man is worth much more.

England have been ok, Ireland are tough to compete with at the breakdown because they're very good at the dark arts stuff in there. It's always going to mean they get a few soft penalties.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3839 on: March 18, 2023, 06:19:47 PM »
To carry on moaning about that red, Ribbans just got tackled and in the ruck Aki fell and landed his hand in Ribbans head, that's obviously a rugby incident and doesn't get looked at but if you've given the one on Steward maybe England should be asking about it. There will be multiple examples like it this half.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal