collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Micah Richards - Released  (Read 455634 times)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Micah Richards signed
« Reply #990 on: January 10, 2016, 02:08:53 PM »
Late to this one, but I was vaguely impressed. Obviously the players are trying - it's such a boring cliche to say they're not, as if everything in football is decided not by skill, or tactics, or teamwork, or luck, but just by 'trying hardest'. Everyone is trying in the sport with a few notable exceptions, and you can really really tell when they're not. The players have been unfit, they've played badly, they're mentally about as tough as snowflakes, they've been a bit unlucky sometimes and they've been let down by management decisions, but for the most part they've obviously been trying. They're just shit.

I thought Gestede was 'trying' to employ a drastic economy of effort. Why does Ayew currently stand out from the rest if they are all busting a gut?

Because he's better than them?

As for Gestede, he's still trying his utmost - it's just that he has the mobility of an arthritic giraffe.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:12:50 PM by Monty »

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #991 on: January 10, 2016, 02:22:11 PM »
Late to this one, but I was vaguely impressed. Obviously the players are trying - it's such a boring cliche to say they're not, as if everything in football is decided not by skill, or tactics, or teamwork, or luck, but just by 'trying hardest'. Everyone is trying in the sport with a few notable exceptions, and you can really really tell when they're not. The players have been unfit, they've played badly, they're mentally about as tough as snowflakes, they've been a bit unlucky sometimes and they've been let down by management decisions, but for the most part they've obviously been trying. They're just shit.

I thought Gestede was 'trying' to employ a drastic economy of effort. Why does Ayew currently stand out from the rest if they are all busting a gut?

Because he's better than them?

As for Gestede, he's still trying his utmost - it's just that he has the mobility of an arthritic giraffe.

I am not just referencing Ayew's technical ability or professional effectiveness though Monty. His demeanour suggests to me a higher level of pride and desire. As for Gestede, those who played any part in his recruitment are most culpable.

Offline Monty

« Reply #992 on: January 10, 2016, 02:25:22 PM »
I think that's just a style thing. Ayew is sprinting around a lot but he does get out of position a bit through following the ball. The others may look like they're not trying as hard, but perhaps they're just trying to stay in position more.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #993 on: January 10, 2016, 02:31:23 PM »
Players like Gestede, Sinclair, Gana are all trying very hard. They are just awful players.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #994 on: January 10, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »

Spot on. I find it puzzling when so many people in football point to a lack of effort in situations like this when surely after our performances over the last 3 or 4 years the most likely reason for our failure is just because we've got too many players who simply aren't good enough for the level they're at. You could hardly say we've seen enough from them previously to say that they've clearly got the ability locked away somewhere and they just can't be arsed.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #995 on: January 10, 2016, 02:37:29 PM »

Spot on. I find it puzzling when so many people in football point to a lack of effort in situations like this when surely after our performances over the last 3 or 4 years the most likely reason for our failure is just because we've got too many players who simply aren't good enough for the level they're at. You could hardly say we've seen enough from them previously to say that they've clearly got the ability locked away somewhere and they just can't be arsed.

There were a couple of instances yesterday where players were hiding from the ball when we were in possession. Looked like they were scared to take responsibility.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #996 on: January 10, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »
I think that's just a style thing. Ayew is sprinting around a lot but he does get out of position a bit through following the ball. The others may look like they're not trying as hard, but perhaps they're just trying to stay in position more.

They're actually trying to stay in position? I might concede they are trying to stay in 20th position. If Bacuna and Gestede amongst others are giving the full 100% to the cause I'm Rembrandt.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #997 on: January 10, 2016, 02:43:29 PM »

Is he balls.  I can't remember who it was, but one of our players absolutely tore him a new one when he just lazily loped into the box, then just stopped as the ball came in.  He's crap, AND he's lazy.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #998 on: January 10, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »

Is he balls.  I can't remember who it was, but one of our players absolutely tore him a new one when he just lazily loped into the box, then just stopped as the ball came in.  He's crap, AND he's lazy.
I don't think Gestede is actually as bad as he has looked (bad I admit) I think his confidence is totally shot and we're not helping him with our style of play (style??) we're certainly not playing to his strengths. I think that has contributed to him being unable to do the simple/basic things.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #999 on: January 10, 2016, 03:26:35 PM »
I'd rather have Marlon  or Ivanhoe instead of Gestede, that's how crushingly bad he is

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #1000 on: January 10, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »
I'd rather have Marlon  or Ivanhoe instead of Gestede, that's how crushingly bad he is

Indeed for all the criticism of Heskey he at least put himself about, he was a completely different level to Gestede. Gestede is the least imposing 'targetman' I've ever seen.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #1001 on: January 10, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »

There were a couple of instances yesterday where players were hiding from the ball when we were in possession. Looked like they were scared to take responsibility.

I think that might be more to do with an individual's mentality rather than a blatent lack of effort. Everyone reacts differently to situations of adversity and obviously we have too many players who when their confidence is rock bottom start thinking 'I'm not good enough, I don't want the ball' when really we need a few more big characters who will back their ability regardless of how good they actually are.

More than anything though I can't really understand what a player would be looking to achieve with deliberately not trying? A move to a worse team on less wages? Especially doing it in full view of their colleagues, family, fans etc. I think the mental side of football is still massively overlooked and perhaps we should look a bit deeper in these situations rather than the usual 'he's lazy, he's not trying' line. A lot of the players aren't Premier League level in terms of footballing ability, but too many of them are also mentally weak as well imo.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #1002 on: January 10, 2016, 03:50:17 PM »

I'm sure it'd help a LOT if we had a leader/voice out on the pitch. As it is we have a collection of individuals with little communication or direction.

Giving Richards the armband is one thing, but that doesn't mean he's comfortable being the voice/leader, it doesn't come naturally to him clearly, and Lescott is the same.

That said, i've no idea how in our side it would come naturally to. But we need someone to do the talking out there ASAP

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #1003 on: January 10, 2016, 03:53:28 PM »

I'm sure it'd help a LOT if we had a leader/voice out on the pitch. As it is we have a collection of individuals with little communication or direction.

Giving Richards the armband is one thing, but that doesn't mean he's comfortable being the voice/leader, it doesn't come naturally to him clearly, and Lescott is the same.

That said, i've no idea how in our side it would come naturally to. But we need someone to do the talking out there ASAP

You only have to look at the side when they come out for the start of either half, when we concede a goal, or if there are breaks in play for injuries that there is no leadership in the team, no one to cajole the rest of the players to bounce back from a set-back. This is the biggest problem with the team, there's no leadership and no fight to drag the team through bad spells (albeit this bad spell has lasted between 20 games and five years, depending on how you look at it).

Offline supertom

« Reply #1004 on: January 10, 2016, 06:39:54 PM »
I'm torn on Richards. Sometimes I like him, sometimes I think he's a gobshite. I give him credit for going to the fans yesterday, knowing full well he'd get an earful.

Keep him at right back and get in a decent coaching team to ensure he's in a more cohesive backline. He needs to improve his awareness and concentration tenfold but beyond that I think he should be fine. He at least shows passion. That is something I do like about him. He's got the fire and vocals to be a captain, just not the consistency or temperament. But he's far and away the best option we have. Probably the only option. Lescott could be but he's just so done at this level it's not funny. Gabby has hopefully played his last game for the club.
We need to buy a decent skipper for one thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal