collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Ads
[Today at 03:35:39 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by ExclDawg
[Today at 03:34:52 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Drummond
[Today at 03:31:50 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Ads
[Today at 03:35:39 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by ExclDawg
[Today at 03:34:52 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeS
[Today at 03:32:49 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Drummond
[Today at 03:31:50 PM]

Re: FFP by Drummond
[Today at 03:30:39 PM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 03:30:06 PM]

Re: FFP by olaftab
[Today at 03:26:32 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192354 times)

Offline passitsideways

Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #1215 on: March 16, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »
Its more that when he's got less than a second to make up his mind he tends to panic and give the ball away.

I feel that was more because the managers we had tended to ask him to help start attacks for us from deep, whereas the impression I've got from watching Jedinak and/or Gardner under Bruce is to basically not fuck around and belt it forward whenever in doubt. I'd think Sanchez is at least capable of that should that be asked of him.

EDIT: Anyway, I finally had a look around for the actual details of Sanchez's loan, and the results generally seem to suggest that there'll be a 2.6 million pound fee if he plays in enough games, which sounds like a decent enough price for a 31 year old with one year left on his contract, so the discussion's probably moot.

I think if we can get 10-12 million for the three of them, and add a little bit of money on top of that, and possibly sell McCormack, and that really should be enough to fill the holes in the squad (cover for Jedinak, a centre-half or two, possibly a left back if Amavi leaves)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:00:48 AM by passitsideways »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1216 on: March 16, 2017, 01:05:19 PM »
Its more that when he's got less than a second to make up his mind he tends to panic and give the ball away.

I feel that was more because the managers we had tended to ask him to help start attacks for us from deep, whereas the impression I've got from watching Jedinak and/or Gardner under Bruce is to basically not fuck around and belt it forward whenever in doubt. I'd think Sanchez is at least capable of that should that be asked of him.

EDIT: Anyway, I finally had a look around for the actual details of Sanchez's loan, and the results generally seem to suggest that there'll be a 2.6 million pound fee if he plays in enough games, which sounds like a decent enough price for a 31 year old with one year left on his contract, so the discussion's probably moot.

I think if we can get 10-12 million for the three of them, and add a little bit of money on top of that, and possibly sell McCormack, and that really should be enough to fill the holes in the squad (cover for Jedinak, a centre-half or two, possibly a left back if Amavi leaves)

Agree.  Hoping Richards will be off (given up hope of Agbonlahor going) as well as a couple of others.  As you say, there should be enough coming to have not too much of a net spend in the summer. 

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1217 on: March 16, 2017, 01:37:20 PM »
The thing about Sanchez is, is the Championship really played at the sort of breakneck pace that he wouldn't be capable of handling? Plus, it's not like Jedinak or Gardner have been asked by Bruce to do anything fancy on the ball.

I don't think Sanchez would be able at all for the second division, most of the games I've seen are played at crazy pace particularly early on. Bruce ball is going to involve non stopping running next season really.

We need an upgrade on Jedinak and Gardner capable of playing two games a week and unlike those two being able to get around the park. Stephens at Brighton would be ideal or a similar type of player.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1218 on: March 16, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »

Agree.  Hoping Richards will be off (given up hope of Agbonlahor going) as well as a couple of others.  As you say, there should be enough coming to have not too much of a net spend in the summer. 

but there has to be a big net spend, look back on various threads on here, a big net spend is essential or you're just 'sell to buy' which apparently is crap and not at all how it should work.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #1219 on: March 16, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »
I thought if Gil could have moved the ball on quicker he would have been better. That's something that could have come with experience of playing in England. That said there is always an issue of him being bullied. Small players aren't always necessarily run over, but he seemed to struggle more than most.

I agree. When Gil was in possession he always seemed to take 5-6 touches and slowed the game down. Obviously there was often little to aim at, but i always had the feeling that was his natural style of play.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1220 on: March 16, 2017, 02:32:59 PM »
I thought if Gil could have moved the ball on quicker he would have been better. That's something that could have come with experience of playing in England. That said there is always an issue of him being bullied. Small players aren't always necessarily run over, but he seemed to struggle more than most.

I agree. When Gil was in possession he always seemed to take 5-6 touches and slowed the game down. Obviously there was often little to aim at, but i always had the feeling that was his natural style of play.

Gil's speciality was dribbling from one side of the pitch to the other, past a couple of defenders around thirty yards from goal before stopping and passing it five yards back to somebody else who would probably give it away.

How much of that was his lack of vision and how much was that there was bugger all moving in front of him to pass to is open for argument.

Based on the little we've seen of him this season, I'd bet good money that Gil would look better for us with Hogan making runs ahead of him than he did with Gestede lumbering about.

Offline frank black

« Reply #1221 on: July 12, 2017, 06:07:02 PM »
Gone on loan to deportivo. When does his contract end?

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #1222 on: July 12, 2017, 06:23:45 PM »
Why the F*** have we let him go out on loan??? Sell him or use him FFS!!!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Carles Gil - loaned out again
« Reply #1223 on: July 12, 2017, 06:46:36 PM »
Fucking mental. We would be bound to get some money for him if we sold him.

Nearly as stupid as bringing in a highly-rated goalkeeper and sending him on a two year loan.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1224 on: July 12, 2017, 06:52:05 PM »
Fucking mental. We would be bound to get some money for him if we sold him.

Nearly as stupid as bringing in a highly-rated goalkeeper and sending him on a two year loan.

What worries me is it might be a tell as to Bruce's idea of a good player. I cant shake the feeling he thinks old style plodders are the way to go and doesnt rate technical skill much at all.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1225 on: July 12, 2017, 06:54:03 PM »
There must be a reason why we haven't sold him. It could be that he doesn't want to go to any of the clubs who have offered to buy him on a permanent deal, I don't know. I presume we'll get a loan fee anyway and he's off the wage bill for another season.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1226 on: July 12, 2017, 07:56:09 PM »
We paid peanuts for him, he's contributed zip and is unlikely to contribute zip. I imagine we've got a fee for the loan and that we're covering a small amount of his wages.

As for Gollini, his bottom lip came out at the prospect of not having an Italian goalkeeper coach. The big fanny.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:57:46 PM by Ads »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1227 on: July 12, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
Teams pay peanuts for players and sell them on at a profit all the time.

Middlesbrough might get £20 million for Traore.

If we are going to loan unwanted players, do it to teams who have money to buy them

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1228 on: July 12, 2017, 08:28:50 PM »
You can only sell if there is a market.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1229 on: July 12, 2017, 10:22:12 PM »
Most Spanish clubs outside the big 3 are skint and certainly won't be paying him the wages he's on here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal