collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 10:04:08 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:55:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:53:19 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 09:47:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 09:46:25 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:45:15 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192131 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #1200 on: March 15, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »
I have a very different opinion from yours and I don't watch highlights or streams or excerpts.  I go home and away including warm up pre season games. Veretout, Gil and Sanchez are not sub standard players.  In my opinion.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #1201 on: March 15, 2017, 07:33:04 PM »

However, the professionals who watched them in training or scout them seem to agree with me.

Haha. So Sherwood, Garde, Black and RDM agree with you do they? Well that explains a lot. Shame they didn't speak to, say, the Fiorentina, Deportivo or St Etienne coaches rather than seek your advice - they all seem to find our players pretty handy.

By the way, congratulations on your prolific match-going, that's terrific. Good of you to mention it. Again.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1202 on: March 15, 2017, 08:12:32 PM »
The current management don't seem to be in any rush to get them back and have paid good money for replacements.

Yes, it's nothing to do with the fact that they've signed for other clubs under binding loan agreements and can't come back until the end of the season.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #1203 on: March 15, 2017, 09:47:47 PM »
I don't want any of them back. Not Gil, not Sanchez, Veretout etc. Get rid.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1204 on: March 15, 2017, 09:54:31 PM »
Anybody know whether oldhill_avfc goes to the match or does he watch the 'highlights'?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1205 on: March 15, 2017, 10:51:51 PM »
They all have ability, but all showed physical weaknesses that seemed to be exasperated by the pace and physicality of the game over here, to the point that overwhelmed any positives.

I'd only look at Veretout again, only he doesn't want to be here so he can fuck off as well.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #1206 on: March 16, 2017, 01:11:42 AM »
They all have ability, but all showed physical weaknesses that seemed to be exasperated by the pace and physicality of the game over here, to the point that overwhelmed any positives.

I'd only look at Veretout again, only he doesn't want to be here so he can fuck off as well.

Fair point but in their defence, Sanchez and Gil are probably best utilised in very specific positions and never really got a run of games in those spots.  Agree about the pace of the game though, particularly with Sanchez who always seemed hurried in the ball.  It's was like watching a different player when he played at the slower pace of international football. 

I have a bit of sympathy for Veretout, as he was a young kid thrown on to a sinking ship with a dressing room divide making things worse.  He didn't do well last season, but did show flashes of quality here and there.

Saying that, I don't think we will be seeing any of them in a Villa shirt again.  It says on Wikipedia that Sanchez has signed a two year loan deal at Fiorentina (?) which will take him to the end of his contract with us.  I would say the other two are probably in the £4m - 6m bracket. 

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1207 on: March 16, 2017, 07:22:03 AM »
Anybody know whether oldhill_avfc goes to the match or does he watch the 'highlights'?
He doesn't like to say.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1208 on: March 16, 2017, 07:45:54 AM »
Not much point in having this debate as Villa was broken and the players either didn't help themselves or were not managed properly. Gil was part of the malaise. Decent but not consistent

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1209 on: March 16, 2017, 07:48:32 AM »
Not much point in having this debate as Villa was broken and the players either didn't help themselves or were not managed properly.

Um... isn't that exactly the debate being had?

Offline peter w

« Reply #1210 on: March 16, 2017, 08:02:02 AM »
Gil wasn't or isn't good enough. 3 lovely finishes makes no difference to that opinion. Anyone can be made to look good in youtube clips and Gil on those 3 would look a world beater. And yet he's not. he's a player who has an eye for a finish and has a lovely technique but drifts out of games to easily and doesn't contribute nearly enough. That he's at a game with a slower tempo and is still not imposing himself suggests that he isn't good enough for the higher echelons. Could he have done it in the Championship? maybe,but I don't think he showed enough in his time here that he would be worth persisting with.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1211 on: March 16, 2017, 08:06:32 AM »
I thought if Gil could have moved the ball on quicker he would have been better. That's something that could have come with experience of playing in England. That said there is always an issue of him being bullied. Small players aren't always necessarily run over, but he seemed to struggle more than most.

For me he isn't as good as Grealish and there are question marks over him.

Sanchez is a no for the reasons already discussed.

Veretout was a bit like Angel; dumped in a foreign land, hotel room, new born, isolation etc. No wonder he doesn't want to stay.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1212 on: March 16, 2017, 08:12:52 AM »
Thing with Sanchez is that he isn't as popular in Florence as is seemingly though here. I know a Fiorentina fan who said that he started well, had that game against Juve at right-back, but has since reverted to type. We have a couple Italian brothers on these pages who could be able to update us on him.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1213 on: March 16, 2017, 10:10:51 AM »
The thing about Sanchez is, is the Championship really played at the sort of breakneck pace that he wouldn't be capable of handling? Plus, it's not like Jedinak or Gardner have been asked by Bruce to do anything fancy on the ball.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1214 on: March 16, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »
Its more that when he's got less than a second to make up his mind he tends to panic and give the ball away.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal