collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192104 times)

Offline villan from luton

Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #1155 on: February 04, 2017, 12:30:26 AM »
gil hasn't played for depor for weeks.

i assume he was injured as he was playing regularly for them before xmas.

of the loanees veretout i'd say is doing the best as he's playing every week so would think a french side would offer 2-3m and we'll take it. sanchez has played a decent amount at fiorentina. he played rb v juventus and actually played pretty well.

Didn't read past this and apologise if someone else has spoken. RB v Juventus is not a patch as a RB v Brentford, he wouldn't be able to cope like the Scottish Cafu

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #1156 on: February 04, 2017, 01:05:49 PM »
Gil played last Saturday night for La Coruna, he didn't play very well.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #1157 on: March 13, 2017, 11:43:28 PM »
He played in the win against cheaty ol' Barcelona over the weekend.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1158 on: March 14, 2017, 04:21:21 AM »
He played in the win against cheaty ol' Barcelona over the weekend.

Don't remember him doing much apart from running around a bit.

I'll always like him but I don't really see a spot for him in the current setup.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1159 on: March 14, 2017, 09:31:34 AM »
I actually think either him or Veretout could be the number 10 in behind Kodjia and Hogan

Jedinak
Lansbury                   Hourinane
                     Gil
             Hogan    Kodjia

Offline peter w

« Reply #1160 on: March 14, 2017, 10:36:42 AM »
Gil? Shit no. None of last seasons fuck-ups should be touching a ball unless they've done it in the Championship with us this term.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1161 on: March 14, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
Gil was never given a proper shot though.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1162 on: March 14, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »
Just imagine having a number ten who can tackle, track back and actually put a proper shift in. Instead of being a show pony who does match of the day highlights shit every so often? Grealish and Gil are both in that bracket for me.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1163 on: March 14, 2017, 12:04:21 PM »
Just imagine having a number ten who can tackle, track back and actually put a proper shift in. Instead of being a show pony who does match of the day highlights shit every so often? Grealish and Gil are both in that bracket for me.

Yeah, who wants to pick their main creative outlet based on his ability to create things, his defensive contribution is much more important.

For me, the defensive contibution I want from my attacking players is to stop their central defenders and defensive midfielder from having loads of time and space, for that you don't need to be able to tackle, chase back or 'put a proper shift in' you just need to be part of a team that plays that way.  i want attacking players who are high up the pitch and have something in the tank when we get the ball.  I want teams to be scared of over-committing in case we tear them up on the counter-attack, lets force them to be more defensive rather than demanding every player chase everything and leave with no out ball and no attacking shape whatsoever.

As has been said on other threads, our defence isn't far away from where we want to be but we've scored about half the number of goals we'd need for automatic promotion and yet we still have people talking about needing defensive qualities first and foremost.  This is a mentality that has gripped the club for years and I'd love for us to have taken out relegation as a chance to change it, I guess that's why I'm so against Bruce because he's just doing the same thing.  I get the idea of getting the defence right first and then going from there (even if I disagree with it) but I think all too often we get the defence right and then stop there.

All that said I don't think Gil creates anything like enough chances to justify his place but that's what he has to be judged on, not how much chasing back he does.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1164 on: March 14, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »
So far though, it seems like we have shored up the defence (1 in 5 is pretty good) and had a lot of chances that we just haven't finished.

I'm hoping that we get the balance right soon and that the flair players get a chance but they need to be hungry and play for the team too. When you look at someone like Hazard, he's not lazy by any stretch.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1165 on: March 14, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »
Bring in another central midfielder and Angela or Hourihane could play where its suggested Gil/Grealish should

Online paul_e

« Reply #1166 on: March 14, 2017, 12:33:04 PM »
So far though, it seems like we have shored up the defence (1 in 5 is pretty good) and had a lot of chances that we just haven't finished.

I'm hoping that we get the balance right soon and that the flair players get a chance but they need to be hungry and play for the team too. When you look at someone like Hazard, he's not lazy by any stretch.

No he's not, but most of the defensive work he does is high up the pitch and involves closing down space, he also doesn't run himself ragged and look leggy when he gets the ball.  That's my point.  Villa fans have, in my opinion, a tendency to see someone holding their position high up the pitch as being lazy and not putting in enough effort.

I think playing for the team as the main attacking focus in the team involves understanding that you're key to turning defence into attack and making sure you're in positions where you can do that.  I've said a few times my biggest criticism of Grealish this season is that he's been playing from far too deep and because of that he's not having any bearing on the game and I'm convinced he's doing that because he's trying to do a defensive shift, he's just not suited to it.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1167 on: March 14, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »
Bring in another central midfielder and Angela or Hourihane could play where its suggested Gil/Grealish should

Indeed but I'd rather we went with someone who is a little more comfortable drifting out to the wings than they appear to be.  If we play Hogan and Kodjia up front then the 10 really needs to be drifting the full width of the pitch to stop us being too narrow.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1168 on: March 14, 2017, 01:14:52 PM »
Gil? Shit no. None of last seasons fuck-ups should be touching a ball unless they've done it in the Championship with us this term.

Sanchez, Veretout and Gil would certainly strengthen the matchday squad, but I think they are probably our most sellable assets at the moment and we should cash in should the offers come in.   

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1169 on: March 14, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »

Sanchez, Veretout and Gil would certainly strengthen the matchday squad, but I think they are probably our most sellable assets at the moment and we should cash in should the offers come in.   

Sanchez I think is a terrible footballer. His passing range makes Jedinak look like Zidane

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal