collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

FFP by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:18:29 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:17:17 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 05:24:21 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 05:23:50 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192417 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #840 on: June 10, 2015, 03:26:19 PM »
Cahill wanted first team football but was not ready for the level we were then at hence why he went to Bolton for a few years of relegation battles. Ideally we could have kept him to develop here but clearly he did not think it was in his interests to wait around.

If Gaz wasn't ready, I'm not sure Zat was, a player who kept him out but with much less potential. O'Neill messed-up and most of us thought so at the time.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #841 on: June 10, 2015, 04:27:14 PM »
Cahill is also a bad example because we'd seen enough of him to know that he had it in him to be a premier league player long term
I disagree, I think it's a very good example of why one shouldn't just accept that the manager's opinion of a player is automatically the correct one.

but that's not what I'm suggesting, what I'm suggesting is that Sherwood deserves the benefit of the doubt, rather than being accused of having shit for brains for not selecting 1 player.  There are more than enough potential reasons to explain it.  As I said, the situation with Cahill was very different, the only genuinely similar situation we've seen recently was Makoun and in that AM got a lot less stick despite having almost no credit in the bank to suggest that he might be right, performances and results largely vindicated Sherwood's selection decisions until the last 3 games and there's no chance he was going to tinker for 2 of those so the only game where you can genuinely question the decision to not take another look at gil is the Burnley match.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #842 on: June 10, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »
What I'm suggesting is that Sherwood deserves the benefit of the doubt, rather than being accused of having shit for brains for not selecting 1 player.
I wouldn't personally choose to phrase it in those terms either.

But I don't think it's particularly unreasonable to suggest that it would have been nice if he had been given more of an opportunity and that it would be a shame if he is never given a chance to build on what was a very promising start to his time with us.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #843 on: June 10, 2015, 05:12:20 PM »
I like Gil but I like Grealish more and I don't think we can afford to play them both at the same time.

I like Kozak but I like Benteke more and I don't think we can afford to only keep one of them.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #844 on: June 10, 2015, 05:33:54 PM »
I like Gil but I like Grealish more and I don't think we can afford to play them both at the same time.

I like Kozak but I like Benteke more and I don't think we can afford to only keep one of them.

In an ideal world, but we all know that there are limits on player numbers and on the wage bill and I am sure the manager will want to sign his own players. I hope a way is found but there is more to it that thinking Gil looked useful in a handful of games (and let's be honest that is all it was) so we must keep him.

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #845 on: June 10, 2015, 05:39:01 PM »
Sherwood has made a mistake here. Why can't people admit instead of making excuses for him?

Too weak? He played Grealish.
Not right for a relegation battle? Was involved in one with Elche.
Doesn't do it in training? Points aren't won in training sessions.
Manager just doesn't fancy him? He regularly plays Joe Cole and N'Zogbia, I'd be worried about his judgment.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #846 on: June 10, 2015, 05:41:08 PM »

In an ideal world, but we all know that there are limits on player numbers and on the wage bill and I am sure the manager will want to sign his own players. I hope a way is found but there is more to it that thinking Gil looked useful in a handful of games (and let's be honest that is all it was) so we must keep him.

Useful? PeterWithesShin wanted to marry him! You make a valid point though about budget. Until be can get rid of deadwood like N'Zogbia who probably earns more than the combined salaries of Grealish and Gil, we will struggle to keep genuinely talented players at the club.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #847 on: June 10, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »
Cahill wanted first team football but was not ready for the level we were then at hence why he went to Bolton for a few years of relegation battles. Ideally we could have kept him to develop here but clearly he did not think it was in his interests to wait around.

If Gaz wasn't ready, I'm not sure Zat was, a player who kept him out but with much less potential. O'Neill messed-up and most of us thought so at the time.

Not to mention Curtis Davies, a worse player who we spent £10m on.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #848 on: June 10, 2015, 05:57:23 PM »
I also don't see an issue with bringing on Cole in the semi for example, for Grealish, when Cole is one of the few to actually have a medal in his top drawer. Experience to see it out was what we needed, rather than somebody with a handful of games in this league.

And how about in say, a dead rubber against Burnley when they are likely to pack the defence and we might have to rely on a bit of ingenuity?

Gil was injured so don't think that was really an option.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #849 on: June 10, 2015, 08:26:03 PM »
Sherwood has made a mistake here. Why can't people admit instead of making excuses for him?

Too weak? He played Grealish.
Doesn't do it in training? Points aren't won in training sessions.
Manager just doesn't fancy him? He regularly plays Joe Cole and N'Zogbia, I'd be worried about his judgment.

Why can't you understand that you not agreeing with a decision doesn't make it a mistake?

As said stop comparing him to Grealish in terms of physical suitability if a rubbish comparison, Grealish isn't strong but he knows how to handle a kick, the evidence was that Gil hasn't picked that up yet.
Experience of a relegation battle, I never said anything about that, I did comment on experience in English football though, which he didn't get playing for Elche.
Points aren't won in training sessions but places in the team are.
Sherwood's judgement got us the points we needed to stay up, given that his judgement so far has proven to be good enough.

The worst thing is, I like Gil, I want to see more of him so this argument means I'm taking a position I don't particularly hold but I just can't get my head round people slagging the manager (who has just kept us up when we'd looked dead in the water) off because he hasn't selected a player who's made 7 appearances for us.

If he'd dropped Benteke or Delph and not had them in the squad at all I'd be with you questioning his thinking and I understood why people kept calling for Bent to get a place back (even if I disagreed with them) but Gil we have almost no point of reference and yet him not playing more is a mistake that Sherwood should be held to account for, really?

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #850 on: June 10, 2015, 10:18:13 PM »
Elche? This is a bit random but there is a variety of pomegranate tree called Mollar d'Elche. I am trying to get hold of one.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #851 on: June 10, 2015, 11:28:36 PM »
Elche? This is a bit random but there is a variety of pomegranate tree called Mollar d'Elche. I am trying to get hold of one.

Try your local pomegranate tree shop.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #852 on: June 11, 2015, 12:04:49 AM »
When Sherwood came in he said we had too many 'icing on the cake' players or words to that effect.  Meaning that you cannot play them all.  He also said that he had to find a system that best suited the players and get results.

The way I saw it was that the only position Gil could have come into was N'Zogbia's.  Sherwood obviously thought that he could just get enough out of N'Zogbia as he was a known entity, whereas Gil was not.  However, the problem was that N'Zogbia played a couple of good games, then slipped back into his old ways, then raised his game again for another couple of games and then slipped back again i.e. he did just enough to retain his place ahead of Gil.  Also, N'Zogbia can play a bit farther forward and more of a direct type of game.

Hindsight is great for the fan as it makes football seem so simple.  Sherwood had to make some brave decisions at the time as we were in a desperate position.  Didn't read many posters on here commenting that Gill should have been given a chance around the period when Sherwood got the team rolling.

The time to see what Gil has got to offer is preseason.  Grealish cannot play all of the time and Gil could be an alternative on the right side.  Also, I would get N'Zogbia out of the club as soon as possible.

Offline Boz

« Reply #853 on: June 11, 2015, 10:09:54 AM »
When Sherwood came in he said we had too many 'icing on the cake' players or words to that effect.  Meaning that you cannot play them all.  He also said that he had to find a system that best suited the players and get results.

The way I saw it was that the only position Gil could have come into was N'Zogbia's.  Sherwood obviously thought that he could just get enough out of N'Zogbia as he was a known entity, whereas Gil was not.  However, the problem was that N'Zogbia played a couple of good games, then slipped back into his old ways, then raised his game again for another couple of games and then slipped back again i.e. he did just enough to retain his place ahead of Gil.  Also, N'Zogbia can play a bit farther forward and more of a direct type of game.

Hindsight is great for the fan as it makes football seem so simple.  Sherwood had to make some brave decisions at the time as we were in a desperate position.  Didn't read many posters on here commenting that Gill should have been given a chance around the period when Sherwood got the team rolling.

The time to see what Gil has got to offer is preseason.  Grealish cannot play all of the time and Gil could be an alternative on the right side.  Also, I would get N'Zogbia out of the club as soon as possible.

This is a realistic response to a situation that has many different points of view. We all have an opinion on Gil and why Sherwood hasn't used him, but we don't really know why this is and offer all sorts of reasons, none as far as I'm aware, based on firm knowledge.

Sherwood will survive or fail on his decisions, assuming new owners retain him, but like many, I'd have liked to see Gil play more but the circumstances with Grealish playing well and N'Zogbia presumably having the Premiership experience Sherwood wanted left Gil on the sidelines. Maybe a pre season will allow Gil to prove his worth to Sherwood or that he doesn't rate him. Time will tell I guess.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #854 on: June 11, 2015, 10:24:43 AM »

No, neither did I, but surely that's neither here nor there?

There were other players who didn't feature in the team when he first got us moving, too, but there weren't that many others that didn't get a sniff of the pitch in that time.

There was also a spell towards the end when things stopped rolling, too, and Gil didn't get a look in.

People aren't just wondering why Gil didn't get a chance because his name didn't turn up on the team sheet, like they might wonder about, say, Chris Herd, they're wondering because in the early part of the season, he showed real promise.

I think one influencing factor will be the similarity to Grealish, but then again, if you look at Sherwood's spell here so far and the number of games in which N'Zogbia played, and how little he offered, it's hard to see why Gil couldn't have had a chance in that role.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal