collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192257 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #825 on: June 10, 2015, 01:05:46 PM »
I also don't see an issue with bringing on Cole in the semi for example, for Grealish, when Cole is one of the few to actually have a medal in his top drawer. Experience to see it out was what we needed, rather than somebody with a handful of games in this league.

And how about in say, a dead rubber against Burnley when they are likely to pack the defence and we might have to rely on a bit of ingenuity?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #826 on: June 10, 2015, 01:12:45 PM »
He didn't rotate massively ahead of the final.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #827 on: June 10, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »
Sherwood had us playing very well for the most part and possibly thought that Gil wasn't ready for a hard relegation scrap.

Might as well sell him now then as he won't be appearing next season either.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #828 on: June 10, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »
I liked a lot of what Sherwood did but even if he didn't think Gil wasn't up to a relegation battle, there was no reason to eliminate him completely. Unless something none of us know happened between them behind the scenes it was a dumb decision. And especially in the last game. I don't buy the he was a Lambert signing etc because almost all of them were, and he played him against Stoke and the end of the Albion game until he disappeared.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #829 on: June 10, 2015, 01:16:48 PM »
I don't think he will be sold in the next 40 days. After that, it depends how much money Sherwood has available and whether another £3 million would be useful.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #830 on: June 10, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »
I think we should sack Sherwood immediatley and engage a coach prepared to build a team around Carles!

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #831 on: June 10, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »
Sometimes managers don’t fancy players, even good managers and good players.

It happens.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #832 on: June 10, 2015, 01:53:08 PM »
And ultimately, we don't know what goes on down Bodymoor Heath every day. There may well be a legitimate reason Gil didn't feature that we don't have a clue about.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #833 on: June 10, 2015, 02:03:03 PM »
What utter crap re physique - Gil is no less physical than Jack Grealish who really is lightweight and he draws lots of fouls which lead to opportunities - who else could have scored a goal like Gil against Bournemouth?  Gabby? ha ha ha ha no chance!

Exactly. Our academy graduate gets compared to Messi, whereas the foreigner is too weak for this league. That's English football fans for you ::)

Gil vs Grealish, if you can't see the difference in their response to being kicked then I don't know what to tell you, 1 encourages it and actually grows into the game after a couple of niggles the other became utterly anonymous both times it happened to him.

This is nothing to do with being foreign, it's to do with having the mentality to go out knowing you're going to get kicked and embracing it as part of the game.  Grealish has grown up with it and had a very tough year out on loan where he kicked by some right cloggers.  To me Gil hasn't been through that and didn't know what to do about it.

The goal against Bournemouth was fantastic, no one denies that but if teams learn that giving him a kick or 2 in the first 10minutes puts him in his shell that's what everyone will do to him.  Can you honestly imagine Gil playing Alex Song into a yellow card like Grealish did, encouraging him to leave a boot in so that he got booked and had to back off?

I like Gil and I think if he can get used to the league he can be a very good player but if Sherwood has seen enough to decide that's not going to happen then I'm willing to accept it rather than assuming that Sherwood is an idiot who knows nothing about attacking players, which some on here seem to believe.

Online CT Villan

« Reply #834 on: June 10, 2015, 02:06:01 PM »
I wonder if Gil was one of the players Sherwood was referring to when he said “I think I need to start improving a few more and also finding different ways to play which suits some of the boys who haven’t played today.”

Online Dave

« Reply #835 on: June 10, 2015, 02:14:44 PM »
Can you honestly imagine Gil playing Alex Song into a yellow card like Grealish did, encouraging him to leave a boot in so that he got booked and had to back off?

I'd just quite like the opportunity to find out, rather than persevering with a bunch of players who have shown less than him instead.

I like Gil and I think if he can get used to the league he can be a very good player but if Sherwood has seen enough to decide that's not going to happen then I'm willing to accept it rather than assuming that Sherwood is an idiot who knows nothing about attacking players, which some on here seem to believe.

I like Cahill and I think if he can get used to the league he can be a very good player but if O'Neill has seen enough to decide that's not going to happen then I'm willing to accept it rather than assuming that O'Neill is an idiot who knows nothing about defensive players, which some on here seem to believe.

I agree that sometimes managers just don't fancy players. But sometimes managers get it wrong.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:17:57 PM by Dave »

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #836 on: June 10, 2015, 02:20:36 PM »
Wonder if he's cost more than £27,000 a touch so far

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #837 on: June 10, 2015, 02:54:04 PM »
Can you honestly imagine Gil playing Alex Song into a yellow card like Grealish did, encouraging him to leave a boot in so that he got booked and had to back off?

I'd just quite like the opportunity to find out, rather than persevering with a bunch of players who have shown less than him instead.

I like Cahill and I think if he can get used to the league he can be a very good player but if O'Neill has seen enough to decide that's not going to happen then I'm willing to accept it rather than assuming that O'Neill is an idiot who knows nothing about defensive players, which some on here seem to believe.

I agree that sometimes managers just don't fancy players. But sometimes managers get it wrong.

And more often managers get it right.

Cahill is also a bad example because we'd seen enough of him to know that he had it in him to be a premier league player long term, Gil we're going by glimpses of quality amidst some clear issues so it's a lot less certain.  Jean Makoun is a closer example and I don't recall seeing this level of shit being thrown at the manager then.  Makoun similarly had a couple of good performances and a shocker or 2.

I just wonder if Sherwood coming in during the season means he doesn't get the 'clean slate' other managers have had despite him keeping us up when a lot of fans had given up.  3 wins in the next 4 games after he dropped him suggests he deserves the benefit of the doubt that whatever he wanted the team to provide worked better without Gil.  I agree he could've had a look in against Burnley but for me by that point Sherwood had earned some trust over his decisions.  Of everything said the only 1 I genuinely disagree with was dropping Guzan, I think that made us look a lot weaker at the back at the end of the season, but I understand why he did it.

Online Dave

« Reply #838 on: June 10, 2015, 03:05:10 PM »
Cahill is also a bad example because we'd seen enough of him to know that he had it in him to be a premier league player long term
I disagree, I think it's a very good example of why one shouldn't just accept that the manager's opinion of a player is automatically the correct one.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #839 on: June 10, 2015, 03:12:13 PM »
Cahill wanted first team football but was not ready for the level we were then at hence why he went to Bolton for a few years of relegation battles. Ideally we could have kept him to develop here but clearly he did not think it was in his interests to wait around.

I like Gil but I like Grealish more and I don't think we can afford to play them both at the same time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal