collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:24:40 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by johnc
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by johnc
[Today at 10:19:28 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:13:48 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 10:04:08 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:55:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:53:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192147 times)

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #660 on: April 08, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
To a certain extent, I see what Sherwood seems to be driving at with Gil, because we were so shaky without the ball yesterday that you'd prefer ten outfield players who don't mind getting bruises if they're defending a lead. However, when they equalised, their defence became so much more effective; decently organised and virtually dominant in the air, so of course that's why we kept punting it in the air towards Benteke. Imagine if you'd got a player you could call on who sees a tiny pass, could jink his way past a clodhopping full back?

If Sherwood doesn't think Gil is up for a fight, fair enough, but he's a Plan B option at worst, and everyone could see we had an extra dimension again once N'Zogbia came on. My feeling is that Sherwood sees in Joe Cole everything Gil can do, plus Premier League experience. I don't agree with that, but Sherwood has to answer for these decisions regardless of what we think. I just hope that he's not another player we had who didn't get a fair chance and goes on to better things.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #661 on: April 08, 2015, 10:54:34 AM »
Grealish and Cole both showed a distinct lack of stuck-in-ness yesterday - much less than Gil has shown in his brief time here. Grealish was almost Downing-esque, the way he avoided tackles or challenging for headers sometimes.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #662 on: April 08, 2015, 11:33:13 AM »
Cole must me absolutely marvelous for a few minutes every day in training.

Offline supertom

« Reply #663 on: April 08, 2015, 11:49:48 AM »
Cole must me absolutely marvelous for a few minutes every day in training.
I can imagine Cole rolling back the years in training. A few Zidane roulettes here and there. Perhaps a 20 yard screamer and a few rabonas.
To be fair Cole did okay yesterday. He actually ran and he created a couple of chances.

If we are indeed going full pelt in training I'd imagine it may be quite a culture shock for Gil. But if he can't handle the pace in training, Sherwood must assume he can't handle it in a proper game.
I hope he gets his chance, because he's a classy player, but we'll have to see.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #664 on: April 08, 2015, 11:53:19 AM »
Gil offers more than the Zog and Grealish for me at the moment

Offline supertom

« Reply #665 on: April 08, 2015, 11:54:40 AM »
Grealish and Cole both showed a distinct lack of stuck-in-ness yesterday - much less than Gil has shown in his brief time here. Grealish was almost Downing-esque, the way he avoided tackles or challenging for headers sometimes.
I don't mind players like that. You can only afford one in your side which is why it's one or the other with Cole and Grealish.
What Jack did on the ball was impressive and showed a bit more vision than you'd get from Zogbia and Sinclair.
But by the same token, Sinclair and Zogbia can just knock the ball and run after it if they want. Even if they play with their head down too much.

I think Jack did enough to keep his place in the 18, if not the 11. Sinclair will be back soon. Zogbia, Utd aside has done well enough.
I'd actually be slightly worried if we see Gil, as it might mean things have taken an even shitter turn.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #666 on: April 08, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »
is sanchez better than gil

I'm not usre what you mean by asking that. They play in different positions.

ok, ones defensive and the other attacking but as I see it their both midfielders, and I hate to have a go at our players (trust me i didnt boo) but sanchez was awful and with what a lot on here are saying gil is a bit good, so I just thought, if a player is not doing to well on the pitch, then why not give this kid his spurs, well as I say just a thought, at the end of the day I believe "we on here all want the same, a world dominating Aston Villa"

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #667 on: April 08, 2015, 02:32:07 PM »
I am asking this seriously, what was our results when Gill was in the team ?
To me it is a case that Sherwood wants high pressing, high energy players and Gill for all his suitable silky skills is not that, maybe if we were safe he would be the luxury we can afford but we are not, so it is horses for courses, also if that is the case Gill should knuckle down and get on with it, windows shut, so if he wants to go, he is going nowhere till June.
Also Sherwood does not like foreigners or can't get the best out of them, what part of Small Heath does Adebayor come from then.
To much of don't like Sherwood he is a cockney chancer, we gave so much leeway to Mumbles it was untrue, welcome to Villa Park Tim, were not fickle we just don't like yer.

I think the puzzlement is down to other alternatives offering no more than Gil, young Jack doesnt press the ball quicker, isnt physically stronger and doesnt keep the ball better. Its just a little strange that hes the only one who hasnt been given a chance.

Grealish was superb in the first half last night.  Have to admit to admit I'd have been happier with Gill on the bench than Cole though.

how was Grealish superb? He did ok but he is too slow to react and sometimes slow to release the ball. Definitely got a lot of potential but more of an impact player than a starter for me at the moment

The way I saw it he was pivotal to just about every attacking move we made in the 1st half.  His touch was excellent and more than anyone else he played balls with created chances for others (or at least for them get a dangerous ball into the box).

On the ball he moved well and was excellent in beating players who were intent on scything challenges - he should have gone down for a few of them but then again he may have been chastened by his recent red card.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #668 on: April 08, 2015, 02:39:47 PM »
This is probably just me putting 2 + 2 together and getting 6 but Sherwood has talked a lot about we have players who are icing on the cake players, not grafters and battlers. He's also upped the intensity in training and said everyone gets a chance if they show him what he wants to see in training.

My betting would be training is physical and Gil isn't one to put himself about in training and is one of the icing on the cake players he's mentioned. Not Sherwoods type and could possibly be gone in the summer.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #669 on: April 08, 2015, 03:56:56 PM »
 If you are right aj, then i worry about the kind of football we are going to play under Sherwood.Gil is one of the best footballers at the club., if not the best.For me he offers more of a goal threat than Grealish, has a better pass on him than N'Zog, and would be a good provider for CB.

I think we have more chance of beating teams with Gil in the team.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #670 on: April 08, 2015, 04:03:10 PM »
We don't know what happens in training or behind closed doors, according to what I've read about Sherwood if you aren't doing it in Training then your not in the team.

What if, like Weimann, you haven't done it in the team for nearly a year? It's hard to imagine how bad Gil must be doing in training, if that's the reason for his being behind Weimann. To be honest, I have a feeling Sherwood's going with the players he's heard of before coming to Villa.

That's a ridiculous suggestion. 

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #671 on: April 08, 2015, 04:10:58 PM »
I took the view that in a high stakes game he wanted to go with experience (and Grealish was as much inexperience as he was prepared to risk). Gil to me is one for the future who is very new to our league.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #672 on: April 08, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »
Lets face it as much as most of us would like to Carles Gil (the man with skill) in the first eleven we will have to hope Tim Sherwood is right in not picking him for whatever reason. All that matters is staying up,nothing else. Having said that Carles could be very effective against Spurs
who are not a side who get stuck into players. They will be far more concerned about stopping a rampaging Benteke to worry about a player
they have hardly heard of.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #673 on: April 08, 2015, 05:48:02 PM »
Maybe Sherwood thought it was too much for Gil to play two games in two days.

Gil is playing tonight for the U21s at Molineux.

Offline supertom

« Reply #674 on: April 08, 2015, 05:51:46 PM »
Excellent opportunity for Gil to impress tonight. Hopefully he makes a statement.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal