collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192100 times)

Offline mattjpa

Re: Carles Gil
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2015, 06:42:44 AM »
Bienvenidos a Villa, Carlos. Tu tienes uno trabajo – para pasar el balon a Benteke.
Welcome to Villa, Carlos. You have one job - pass the ball to Benteke.

I think anyway, I'm learning at the moment

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2015, 07:04:22 AM »
... Lambert's "tactic" seems to be: put the same players out every game, playing the same way and it will all work out fine in the end/eventually/at some point/with the wind in the right direction/rub of the green/law of averages etc etc.
Yes, his new widely-proclaimed build-from-the-back approach is great, except that the oppo find it dead easy to counter, as Leicester did: simply push high and pressurise the centre backs.
Simplistic in the extreme, and if Lambert sees Gil as the single solution to the goal drought Gil better be extremely resilient as well as good, 'cos it'll be sussed pretty quickly.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2015, 07:45:43 AM »
Bienvenidos a Villa, Carlos. Tu tienes uno trabajo – para pasar el balon a Benteke.
Welcome to Villa, Carlos. You have one job - pass the ball to Benteke.

I think anyway, I'm learning at the moment

Yep that's it. How you learning?

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2015, 07:55:53 AM »
I'll hold my breathe on this one. Some people are saying he has no end product, fluffs his lines.

Another Tonev!?

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2015, 07:58:22 AM »
I'll hold my breathe on this one. Some people are saying he has no end product, fluffs his lines.

Another Tonev!?
There can only be one Tonev!

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »
adnan Januzaj and Jermain Defoe would be next on my radar. Though I'm sure Lerner and Lambert have cheaper ideas.

Offline Mr Speedy H

« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »
I personally think this is a fantastic move. He looks like an exciting and young player who, while using his pace and technical ability, can use the ball to create to dangerous situations.

Villa have managed to break out of the 'hoof-it' mentality and we're being a lot more possessive and confident moving the ball around the field, albeit just in the middle at present. Hopefully, Gil will bring a bit more risk and confidence into the attacking third and I look forward to seeing him play in Claret & Blue.

Welcome.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2015, 08:16:11 AM »
I think it's asking a lot for a young, if talented player, who has never played in the Premier League, to come in and effectively be our creative saviour. There will be even greater pressure on him given our predicament

You rarely see the best of players bought in January until the following season. I remember Ashley Young struggling to make an impact.

If he can find another established creative player with PL experience, then it would least give greater options, whether its Sinclair or someone else - otherwise I fear this may be a big disappointment.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2015, 08:16:31 AM »
This worries me a little.

David Cartlidge
‏@davidjaca
Further details on Carles Gil deal. Valencia retains an option to buyback of around €12m, as well as 10% of any future sale.

If true, and it ever gets to that point he'll have done really well with us. Hopefully by that stage we'll have identified the next Gil.

The only way it is a worry is if he is the next Messi. Otherwise i'm not going to worry that a club can buy him back for 3x what we paid as TV says, he will have had to have played very well for us.

Next Messi?

Not really. We're talking about someone having an option at £9m or so, when we're paying £3-4m for him in the first place. It strikes me as a bit shortsighted.

Yeah I'm not sure on that given the nature of football.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2015, 08:18:47 AM »
If he ends up being amazing he'll end up going to a wealthier club that Valencia anyway.

It'll be something like this:

Scenario 1: player is utterly brilliant and has half of Europe after him. Goes to a Real Madrid or Man City type team for far more than €12 million.

Scenario 2: he's not bad but suffers from homesickness. Heads back to Valencia or elsewhere in Spain for far less than €12 million.

Scenario 3: beset by injuries. Finally starts to look a top class player just as his contract is expiring and joins some horrible club for free.

Scenario 4: player is utterly, utterly useless. Never shows the slightest ability. Hated by the fans, mocked by the opposition. Stays at Villa. Given extended contract.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:24:14 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Boz

« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2015, 09:13:12 AM »
I personally think this is a fantastic move. He looks like an exciting and young player who, while using his pace and technical ability, can use the ball to create to dangerous situations.

Villa have managed to break out of the 'hoof-it' mentality and we're being a lot more possessive and confident moving the ball around the field, albeit just in the middle at present. Hopefully, Gil will bring a bit more risk and confidence into the attacking third and I look forward to seeing him play in Claret & Blue.

Welcome.

Given how long it took Carlos to settle into PL football, it's a bit optimistic that Gil at 22 and been at Elche for two years can be expected to be our saviour. He looks like he needs building up physically and will come in for a lot of tough tackles I suspect, so unless he has the sort of skills to ride tackles, he'll take a plenty of stick from the cloggers of the Premiership.

Given Lambert's past experience of introducing new players, Gil might not even get much game time until next season in the championship.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »
He looks very direct and appears to have both a map and compass which allows him to head towards goal. Hopefully his sense of direction can rub off on our other players.

We've lacked a link between midfield and attack for a long time. If he can fill it and be a forward option for Westwoods passes, then we will likely improve.

He at least looks different from the very similar midfielders we have already, who are all nice passers, but beyond Sanchez being physically good too, offer no variety.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2015, 09:21:23 AM »
If he gets Sinclair too then wide right and left of Benteke are sorted but it's a gamble pinning survival on a bloke who has not played much for 3 years and a kid new to the league. I would still be tempted to go for Maloney on the cheap as a creative option on top.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »
If he gets Sinclair too then wide right and left of Benteke are sorted but it's a gamble pinning survival on a bloke who has not played much for 3 years and a kid new to the league. I would still be tempted to go for Maloney on the cheap as a creative option on top.

He needs to do something because we're creating nothing. Not scoring is one thing, not creating anything is even worse.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »

He needs to do something because we're creating nothing. Not scoring is one thing, not creating anything is even worse.

I just wrote something similar on another thread, but the impact that Albrighton (a completely bog-standard winger) had on Saturday, should really have hit-home to Lambert about just what a player with attacking will and intent can do. He probably created, or had a hand-in, more chances in that game than any of ours have in the past 2 months.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal