collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 04:12:37 PM]

FFP by Lsvilla
[Today at 04:10:32 PM]

Champions League Contention by Monty
[Today at 04:09:31 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by pablo_picasso
[Today at 04:06:51 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Somniloquism
[Today at 04:03:20 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 03:59:30 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 03:58:15 PM]

VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 03:49:31 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 04:12:37 PM]

Re: FFP by Lsvilla
[Today at 04:10:32 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Monty
[Today at 04:09:31 PM]

Re: FFP by olaftab
[Today at 04:08:28 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 04:08:02 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 04:07:46 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by pablo_picasso
[Today at 04:06:51 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Somniloquism
[Today at 04:03:20 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Sack Manager Ads  (Read 74344 times)

Offline QBVILLA

Re: Moyes sacked? Let's get him in...
« Reply #375 on: April 24, 2014, 01:31:26 PM »
I'd take Everton's last ten years over ours. Lambert has less chance of eclipsing Moyes' record than Oscar Pitorius has of developing athletes foot.

I don't know what the average league position is over the last 10 years, but I bet its close, we might even nick it with the 3 top 6 places
which if true just goes to show that Moyes been seen as suedo successful while we have been a running joke, yet not a lot in it,
 grass greener sydrome

We have finished above Everton twice in the last ten years. They haven't been below 8th for eight years, so for me that is a fair bit of a difference.

Offline supertom

« Reply #376 on: April 24, 2014, 01:32:04 PM »
I'd take Everton's last ten years over ours. Lambert has less chance of eclipsing Moyes' record than Oscar Pitorius has of developing athletes foot.

First you don't know that Lambert couldn't improve our record with the right financial backing to something equivalent to Moyes. Second in the last 10 years McLeish won the league cup which is more than Moyes won at Everton. Does that eclipse Moyes' record at Everton of having won nothing at all?
A league cup win would be nice but your talking an element of luck over 7-8 games, as opposed to 38 games to establish a league position over a season. Moyes had Everton playing Europe more than one cup win did for Blose (and it also cost them their Prem status).

Of course none of us know for certain and the truth of the matter is, Lambert won't get 10 years at the club, or any other club. For me the budget and the players aren't the biggest problem from the last two seasons. They don't help by any means, but the biggest issue has been how clueless we've looked on the pitch all too often, particularly early last season and all of this. You can't excuse a side looking so devoid of organisation and ideas. That rests on Lambert.

But if I'm putting down a bet, I'd say in 2-3 years time Moyes will be managing a mid-table Premiership club and Lambert will be in the Championship or lower. That's my gut feeling.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #377 on: April 24, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »
I think he needs a break after his time at United. He has aged ten years in less than twelve months. Even after a break I am not sure how well he will bounce back. I also think after his time at United the media will be waiting for him to mess up his next job too. He doesn't seem to have the bouncebackability factor of someone like BFR for example.

I'd agree with that. It reminds me of when McLaren lost his job with England. You got the impression that he either needed a break or a move to another country to prove himself again.

Offline supertom

« Reply #378 on: April 24, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »
I think he needs a break after his time at United. He has aged ten years in less than twelve months. Even after a break I am not sure how well he will bounce back. I also think after his time at United the media will be waiting for him to mess up his next job too. He doesn't seem to have the bouncebackability factor of someone like BFR for example.

I'd agree with that. It reminds me of when McLaren lost his job with England. You got the impression that he either needed a break or a move to another country to prove himself again.
It may well be he'll do a Di Matteo and have a paid years holiday.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #379 on: April 24, 2014, 01:35:56 PM »

I don't know what the average league position is over the last 10 years, but I bet its close, we might even nick it with the 3 top 6 places
which if true just goes to show that Moyes been seen as suedo successful while we have been a running joke, yet not a lot in it,
 grass greener sydrome

Last ten years

Us                             Everton
6th                           17th
10th                         4th
16th                         11th
11th                         6th
6th                           5th
6th                           5th
6th                           8th
9th                           7th
16th                         7th
15th                         6th

Average 10.1           7.6

in the last 10 years McLeish won the league cup which is more than Moyes won at Everton. Does that eclipse Moyes' record at Everton of having won nothing at all?

No

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #380 on: April 24, 2014, 01:37:38 PM »

First you don't know that Lambert couldn't improve our record with the right financial backing to something equivalent to Moyes. Second in the last 10 years McLeish won the league cup which is more than Moyes won at Everton. Does that eclipse Moyes' record at Everton of having won nothing at all?

No you're right i'm not a fortune teller just merely giving an opinion on how I see it .As for the McLeish argument, well it  is nothing other than an argument. Ramos,Di Matteo,Redknapp and Laudrup have also won cups in that time and been sacked for their respective sides failing in terms of league form. Despite their cup successes i'd say Moyes' record at Everton does eclipse theirs.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #381 on: April 24, 2014, 02:17:30 PM »

First you don't know that Lambert couldn't improve our record with the right financial backing to something equivalent to Moyes.

True but Lambert not knowing his arse from his elbow weighs against him matching Moyes' record.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #382 on: April 24, 2014, 02:29:21 PM »
I'd say under the current set up - about £10m to £20m a year to spend and no DoF or footballing know-how in the club other than the manager - then Moyes is the ideal/best/most realistic alternative to Lambert.

However if we're sold, or Randy changes tactics and appoints a DoF then I would not want Moyes at the club purely because I think there is a limit to how far that type of manager can go in the modern game.  This is higher than we currently reside but unlikely to get anyone above about 6th in the league.

Offline supertom

« Reply #383 on: April 24, 2014, 02:43:06 PM »
I'd say under the current set up - about £10m to £20m a year to spend and no DoF or footballing know-how in the club other than the manager - then Moyes is the ideal/best/most realistic alternative to Lambert.

However if we're sold, or Randy changes tactics and appoints a DoF then I would not want Moyes at the club purely because I think there is a limit to how far that type of manager can go in the modern game.  This is higher than we currently reside but unlikely to get anyone above about 6th in the league.
This for me.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #384 on: April 24, 2014, 02:47:43 PM »

First you don't know that Lambert couldn't improve our record with the right financial backing to something equivalent to Moyes.

True but Lambert not knowing his arse from his elbow weighs against him matching Moyes' record.

I think Moyes provided plenty of evidence of not knowing his arse from a hole in the ground in the past 9 months.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #385 on: April 24, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »

I think Moyes provided plenty of evidence of not knowing his arse from a hole in the ground in the past 9 months.

True but that just reflects even more poorly on Lambert. Anyway, why are we discussing Moyes? If he's the best replacement to Lambert we may as well give up and call it a day. We need somebody that will immediately change us not somebody that needs ten years to discover it helps to play with strikers.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #386 on: April 24, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »

True but that just reflects even more poorly on Lambert. Anyway, why are we discussing Moyes? If he's the best replacement to Lambert we may as well give up and call it a day. We need somebody that will immediately change us not somebody that needs ten years to discover it helps to play with strikers.

I completely agree with that. I'm not totally against Lambert, although much more so than before. I'm not totally against Moyes, but much more so that had we looked to hire him 4 years ago. But like you I'm exhausted by the same old same old and I just want to see a change of managerial style and philosophy. Moyes would not bring that, certainly not in the short term.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #387 on: April 24, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »

grass greener sydrome

We have finished above Everton twice in the last ten years. They haven't been below 8th for eight years, so for me that is a fair bit of a difference.

Given that of those three top six place seasons we had, Everton finished fifth in two of them, they weren't going to make too much difference.

Moyes is a safe, stable bet over a long period of time.

Unfortunately, that's not what this club needs - we need a total, radical overhaul, not just a return to safety.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #388 on: April 24, 2014, 04:18:23 PM »

grass greener sydrome

Given that of those three top six place seasons we had, Everton finished fifth in two of them, they weren't going to make too much difference.

Moyes is a safe, stable bet over a long period of time.

Unfortunately, that's not what this club needs - we need a total, radical overhaul, not just a return to safety.

Agree.

If we do get the BIG takeover he's not the man.

If we don't, he could well be.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #389 on: April 24, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »
We need Lennon to jump ship so Lambert can move to Celtic.

We then need a DoF (preferably one that understands Villa and does not have a love in with previous clubs) to act as a conduit between a clueless board when it comes to football and a (new) set of very good 1st team coaches.

Oh and 5 or 6 first team players as well as the 2 newer signings (JO/LK) back to full fitness.

Not much required then.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal