collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 05:08:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 05:07:30 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Proposition Joe
[Today at 05:06:06 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by SteveN
[Today at 05:05:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 05:05:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 05:04:35 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 05:04:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 05:03:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Sack Manager Ads  (Read 74274 times)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Re: Moyes sacked? Let's get him in...
« Reply #345 on: April 24, 2014, 09:46:59 AM »
Moyes v Lambert. Anyone not wanting the former at Villa right now needs their bumps feeling
Ready when you are......
And talking about his transfer genius Jelavic for £10m  sold for £2m

They paid 6m for Jelavic and he had a great 12-18 months for them, hardly the worst buy in the world.

We've recently paid 7m for that lump Kozak.

Ultimately any criticism of what Moyes did has to be tempered by the fact that, whatever it was, it was good enough to get him the Man United job.
I don't really think that works. It was a bad decision to give him the job, irrespective of the good stuff that he undoubtedly did at Everton.

It's a bit like saying "ultimately any criticism of what McLeish did has to be tempered by the fact that whatever it was, it was good enough to get him the Villa job".

I don't think Moyes would have got the United job if the Glazers hadn't felt obliged to take the advice of possibly the worst recommender of managers around.   For all his decent record at Everton I do recall contributors from here looking at one or two of their forums 3 or 4 years ago and being a little surprised at the criticism of Moyes which was very much akin to the criticism MON was getting from Villa fans - dull predictable football being one of the main ones, if I recall correctly, and the feeling that he had taken them as far as he was ever going to.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #346 on: April 24, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »
I wonder where Liverpool would be at the moment, if they'd sacked Rodgers last season for finishing 7th and being dumped out the FA Cup by Oldham.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #347 on: April 24, 2014, 10:38:57 AM »
I wonder where Liverpool would be at the moment, if they'd sacked Rodgers last season for finishing 7th and being dumped out the FA Cup by Oldham.

Looking back, wish he'd been sacked

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #348 on: April 24, 2014, 12:00:47 PM »
Moyes v Lambert. Anyone not wanting the former at Villa right now needs their bumps feeling

But it's not like that is it ?. If they were the only two managers in the world then yes, i'd take Moyes.

But they're not. Personally i wouldn't want him and i think we need to look for a progressive manager.

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #349 on: April 24, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
I must be on my own but I thought Everton played attractive football under Moyes, it would be hard not to with Pienaar, Osman, Baines and Arteta in the team and Cahill breaking from deep and scoring for fun.  It was certainly better football than we've played over the last 8-10 years, including under O'Neill, albeit I thought the football under M'ON was pretty damn exciting.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #350 on: April 24, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »
Most football supporters in this country would love to see Manchester United go into a long-term decline. I would be ok with them never winning anything again.
Yes that is why I want them to be totally burdened by the legacy that was Ferguson and the so called class of 92. I love the fact that they have appointed the holy trinity  management of Giggs/Scholes/Neville for now.  I hope they win all remaining games 6-0 each and the clamour to appoint them is so huge that they become permanent and seeds for long term destruction are firmly sown next season.

Offline Morpheus

« Reply #351 on: April 24, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »
I must be on my own but I thought Everton played attractive football under Moyes, it would be hard not to with Pienaar, Osman, Baines and Arteta in the team and Cahill breaking from deep and scoring for fun.  It was certainly better football than we've played over the last 8-10 years, including under O'Neill, albeit I thought the football under M'ON was pretty damn exciting.
Pretty much what I had posted one or two pages back.

A question for those those who think that Everton played dour football under Moyes.

If that was so why did Ferguson recommend Moyes to the board at Manchester United when the heritage of football at Manchester United has always been about playing attacking progressive football?

Thinking about it here's another question. Why didn't the board at Manchester United approach Mourinho? Could it be that Mourinho just doesn't play the type of football to placate Man U fans?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #352 on: April 24, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »
If that was so why did Ferguson recommend Moyes to the board at Manchester United when the heritage of football at Manchester United has always been about playing attacking progressive football?
The football heritage at Man Utd for the last two decades has been "have really good wingers and strikers and cross it as much as possible".

Which is fine, the results that it brought about were fantastic - but there wasn't really anything progressive about what they did on the pitch.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #353 on: April 24, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
The football heritage at Man Utd for the last two decades has been "have really good wingers and strikers and cross it as much as possible".

Which is fine, the results that it brought about were fantastic - but there wasn't really anything progressive about what they did on the pitch.

Oddly, all the progressive stuff they did was defensive. The famous defeat to Real and Fergie's subsequent hiring of Queiroz brought about a huge change in how they approached defending, including defensive ball-hogging. They were also good for individual stars for this reason, as Ronaldo likes to be given space and license to do what he likes on the break, while other players behind him do the actual defending.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #354 on: April 24, 2014, 12:39:51 PM »
Only once under Moyes did they score more than they have this season, and they still have 3 to play. They managed 34 one season. Even when they finished 4th they did it with a minus GD and a total of 45 goals scored. Like most teams bobbing around 6th-10th they sometimes played great stuff, and sometimes real dire shite. Most telling thing for me with Moyes is that the Division 3 title is still the best thing he has won.

Moyes is a decent manager, nothing more, nothing less.

Offline supertom

« Reply #355 on: April 24, 2014, 12:44:58 PM »
Moyes is a solid Premier League manager. Lambert isn't a Premier League standard manager.

In a choice between the two, there's no contest.

That said I think Moyes will be in employment before we've sorted ourselves out regarding potential new ownership/new management.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #356 on: April 24, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »
He'll be in at Newcastle before the World Cup starts.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #357 on: April 24, 2014, 12:58:11 PM »
It's hard to say he isn't a PL standard manager after three seasons and zero relegations. Time might prove he isn't up to it, and he may well be the wrong manager for us right now, doesn't mean he isn't PL standard though imo.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #358 on: April 24, 2014, 01:02:30 PM »
Moyes is a solid Premier League manager. Lambert isn't a Premier League standard manager.

In a choice between the two, there's no contest.

That said I think Moyes will be in employment before we've sorted ourselves out regarding potential new ownership/new management.

At least Lambert has achieved things with promotions up the divisions
Moyes has achieved nothing absolutely nothing apart from keeping a big club in the prem by playing safe boring football in the main

Wow

Offline supertom

« Reply #359 on: April 24, 2014, 01:03:06 PM »
It's hard to say he isn't a PL standard manager after three seasons and zero relegations. Time might prove he isn't up to it, and he may well be the wrong manager for us right now, doesn't mean he isn't PL standard though imo.
If I were gonna guess I'd say he's destined to head the Paul Jewell route. We shall see.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal