collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Sack Manager Ads  (Read 74340 times)

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
Re: Moyes sacked? Let's get him in...
« Reply #390 on: April 24, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »
Small steps guys.

A lot of you seem to not want Moyes because his glass ceiling is probably similar to MON's (5th/6th) due to his style of football. However I think some people are forgetting just how irrelevant we've become to many other PL sides these days, 'Villa used to have something about them' type comments are all top regular in my ear for my liking. Although they are true. We've been a bottom 6 side scraping around the 40 point mark for 3 years (4 if you include Houllier's), you can't just ignore this due to our traditions, it's where we are at this moment in time and have been for a while.

I want us to be relevant again, competing in the top half of the division and for Villa Park not to be such a piss easy ground to come to for 3 points. Moyes would make us hard to beat, improve our home record considerably and I'd be very surprised if we weren't top 8 within 2 seasons. Over a longer period of time, no he probably wouldn't be able to take us above around 6th or get us passing teams off the park. I'm not sure who some fans think we could attract in the mean time who would play such a great style and transform us from bottom 6 regulars to top 6.

We need a period of stability with a decent manager in charge, or we'll go down, that's the way we are heading. Moyes fits the bill and I can't see many other candidates in his mould, if he came in, it doesn't mean it'd be for 11 years like he spent at Everton. If our board were ambitious enough, they'd dispense of a manager when they thought he'd taken us as far as we could.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #391 on: April 24, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »
Disagree Hoyle87. It's not just that his style has that glass ceiling, it's that we've had enough of this particular limited footballing style. Swansea and Southampton have managed to combine progress with a footballing identity - some would say because of it - through many divisions. Moyes' record looks good over 11 years, but how many of the last few years could actually have been better for Everton if someone more like Martinez had been in charge? It could be that Moyes actually limited them for the last few years, and who's to say in the next few years that this limiting will trickle down the league from the top six to the whole division?

It's all well and good to build foundations, but if you're building them out of mud and everyone around you is building on concrete then the foundations are themselves inadequate and restricting - look at Newcastle, who have lots of players capable of playing good stuff, especially when Cabaye was there, but are clearly constrained by Pardew's near-moronic football thinking.

I'm fed up of managers content to make us 'hard to beat' (and harder to watch), to make us 'compact' and 'well-organised', where 'all the players know their jobs' and all of those other patronising euphemisms. I'm fed up with the long ball being considered a legitimate attacking tactic, with all our attacking coming from 'pace on the wings' rather than quality through the middle. I'm fed up with players moving about as freely as if their boots were stitched into the turf, of last-minute goals conceded after 89 minutes of unsuccessful bludgeoning against a simple defensive opposition, of losing the ball from throw-ins, of dreading the weekend arriving for fear of what garbage might be hurled our way this time. If sodding Southampton can do it, then so too can we.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:13:41 PM by Monty »

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #392 on: April 24, 2014, 07:14:53 PM »
I think Moyes will be doubting himself big time for a while. He needs to depressurise away from football for a while and come back in about 18 months.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #393 on: April 24, 2014, 07:16:49 PM »
Thanks to modern football I have to accept that without stupid money being spent we'll never win the league again. And probably won't qualify for the Cheats league either, certainly not for years. So to be honest, I want a manager who can win us a cup now and again, and if we're going to bounce between 5th/6th-10th/12th I want to enjoy watching us often. Like the last months of last season. I don't want to see us play boring safe football and finish 7th, 8th, 10th every season for the forseeable future which is what I think it would be under Moyes. Better than this season? Certainly, but I want a bit more longterm which is why i'm not in favour of Moyes.

I'm PWS and modern football is shit.

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #394 on: April 24, 2014, 07:26:49 PM »
I'd love to see us finish 7th 8th 10th for the next 5 years say ! After the holocaust of the last 4 years !!

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #395 on: April 24, 2014, 07:28:49 PM »
But do you want to watch us do it playing like West Ham or Southampton is more my point.

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #396 on: April 24, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
Short term PWS I don't mind. I'd take a couple of seasons of ugly wins to be honest . A win is a win and we haven't been doing it enough especially at home
I'd love us at home to just be a horrible team to play that can grind out 1-0 wins . Short term id be happy with that.
Don't think I can handle another relegation scrap after this one.

Offline tim

« Reply #397 on: April 24, 2014, 07:32:22 PM »
I think Moyes will be doubting himself big time for a while. He needs to depressurise away from football for a while and come back in about 18 months.
Agree with that - I don't think he'll have any interest in taking anything new up for a while, and if he does, I don't believe he'll give it 100% as he probably feels he should be elsewhere, i.e. Manchester.

Offline Monty

« Reply #398 on: April 24, 2014, 07:38:26 PM »
If we're facing reality, we have to face the fact that teams will always come to Villa Park and set men behind the ball. For whatever reason - Dave W's theory that Villa Park just makes teams feel like they're in a bigger game than they are seems very likely - for whatever reason, this is a fact. You don't break these teams down with Allardyce football, nor with counterattacking on its own. We should know - this is what we've watched, through varying budgets, for a very long time now.

Bearing this fact in mind, I'd say it's more practical and pragmatic to play a style more like Southampton's. That's a style designed front to back to break down massed defences, and that's what we'll always face for as long as Villa Park has a capacity of 40,000-plus. Like I say, it's not a case of trying this or that style - we've already tried the blunter method, and it's failed over and over again. We need something different.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #399 on: April 24, 2014, 07:40:10 PM »
Short term PWS I don't mind. I'd take a couple of seasons of ugly wins to be honest . A win is a win and we haven't been doing it enough especially at home
I'd love us at home to just be a horrible team to play that can grind out 1-0 wins . Short term id be happy with that.
Don't think I can handle another relegation scrap after this one.

Part of me would snap anyone's hand off for that for 2 or 3 years, but it would depend as well on the manager. Pulis/Allardyce would probably manage it for example, but then the squad would be built to achieve that, so when we want to kick on we won't have the players in place to do it. We'll have a team of Kevin sodding Nolans.

And in regard to Moyes needed a break or similar, my worry if he joined us in the summer is he would be safety first as he plays it safe to rebuild his career.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #400 on: April 24, 2014, 07:48:32 PM »
Moyes will be at west ham I reckon

Offline Monty

« Reply #401 on: April 24, 2014, 07:50:53 PM »
Moyes will be at west ham I reckon

My tip's Newcastle.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #402 on: April 24, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »
Small steps guys.

A lot of you seem to not want Moyes because his glass ceiling is probably similar to MON's (5th/6th) due to his style of football. However I think some people are forgetting just how irrelevant we've become to many other PL sides these days, 'Villa used to have something about them' type comments are all top regular in my ear for my liking. Although they are true. We've been a bottom 6 side scraping around the 40 point mark for 3 years (4 if you include Houllier's), you can't just ignore this due to our traditions, it's where we are at this moment in time and have been for a while.

I want us to be relevant again, competing in the top half of the division and for Villa Park not to be such a piss easy ground to come to for 3 points. Moyes would make us hard to beat, improve our home record considerably and I'd be very surprised if we weren't top 8 within 2 seasons. Over a longer period of time, no he probably wouldn't be able to take us above around 6th or get us passing teams off the park. I'm not sure who some fans think we could attract in the mean time who would play such a great style and transform us from bottom 6 regulars to top 6.

We need a period of stability with a decent manager in charge, or we'll go down, that's the way we are heading. Moyes fits the bill and I can't see many other candidates in his mould, if he came in, it doesn't mean it'd be for 11 years like he spent at Everton. If our board were ambitious enough, they'd dispense of a manager when they thought he'd taken us as far as we could.

Spot on.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #403 on: April 24, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »
I'd take Everton's last ten years over ours. Lambert has less chance of eclipsing Moyes' record than Oscar Pitorius has of developing athletes foot.

I don't know what the average league position is over the last 10 years, but I bet its close, we might even nick it with the 3 top 6 places
which if true just goes to show that Moyes been seen as suedo successful while we have been a running joke, yet not a lot in it,
 grass greener sydrome

We have finished above Everton twice in the last ten years. They haven't been below 8th for eight years, so for me that is a fair bit of a difference.

looks like I was probably wrong about that one then

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #404 on: April 24, 2014, 08:23:34 PM »
Small steps guys.

I don't want him because hes a boring  negative fart, that's it really

I know that's what we've had the last few seasons and that's why i'm fed up with having more of the same

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal