collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by Drummond
[Today at 02:27:46 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 02:25:19 PM]

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 02:21:00 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 02:13:51 PM]

Re: VAR by paul_e
[Today at 02:09:51 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:08:41 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 02:05:37 PM]

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 02:04:45 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Once a Villa man...  (Read 12960 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Once a Villa man...
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2013, 12:48:54 PM »
My take on Collymore is

- he's definitely a Villa fan, and the more of them there are in the media, the better
- we didn't get anything like the best out of him
- we used to give him plenty of stick, I'm not surprised he reacted
- he's had his problems and continues to struggle with them, had our manager at the time been a bit more enlightened, maybe we'd have got more out of him
- he's not a bad broadcaster at all.

Agree on all points

When Stan said he had problems all i ever heard was "What with his money?"
Just goes to show how material things dont matter a jot at times

It also shows how much things have changed in the last 10-15 years collymore now would have got the support and help he needed, collymore in the mid-90s was told to get on with it.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »
It also shows how much things have changed in the last 10-15 years collymore now would have got the support and help he needed, collymore in the mid-90s was told to get on with it.

I think the flip side to this is that attitudes towards domestic violence have also changed over the same period. If he smacked his missus up today, his career would be over.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »
Hasn't stopped Marlon King unfortunately.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Hasn't stopped Marlon King unfortunately.

I meant his career in the media

Offline steamer

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »
I was with Bryan Hughes tonight (ex blues) really nice bloke, spoke very highly of Villa park and he is a lifelong Everton fan, and he said to me the one thing he wanted to do was score at Goodison and celebrate scoring.....

I heard a funny story about him.

Go on..... I heard a few last night, he was doing a Q&A with Dean Windass.

I know a girl who reckons she shagged Andy Johnson in a Birmingham hotel, whilst Hughes sat on the couch cracking one off.

The zany world of professional football, eh?

Sounds like a girl worth knowing !

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2014, 10:38:36 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere...great comeback!

Stan Collymore
@StanCollymore
"@JeromeMichelKur: Why didn't you play for Arsenal/Spurs? Because you were rubbish? >WANTED TO PLAY FOR EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS #LFC #NFFC #AVFC
05:13 PM - 04 Jan 14   

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere...great comeback!

Stan Collymore
@StanCollymore
"@JeromeMichelKur: Why didn't you play for Arsenal/Spurs? Because you were rubbish? >WANTED TO PLAY FOR EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS #LFC #NFFC #AVFC
05:13 PM - 04 Jan 14

I like him as a pundit. Cant say I ever really loved him as a player.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2014, 11:36:48 PM »
Or this:

if you want to question whether or not he's genuine, ask yourself if you reacted any differently at that exact moment in time?

richtheholtender

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2014, 11:48:59 PM »
I have just listened to Tony Cascarino on Talksport and my opinion of him has gone up too, More passionate about us than I thought he would be.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2014, 12:15:28 AM »
I was discussing our current situation with a couple of Villa supporting colleagues earlier today and the topic of conversation inevitably came round to the manager.  I thought one of them made a really good point when he said that he feels that both the current owner and the manager don't really 'get' the club and other managers (O'Leary, Houllier, McLeish) have struggled because they too haven't really understood it.  Conversely, managers such as Ron Atkinson, Brian Little, John Gregory and to some extent Graham Taylor have had a better understanding of the club in the past and have tended to do a little better even if they weren't able to sustain that success.

Online dekko

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2014, 12:26:37 AM »
I was discussing our current situation with a couple of Villa supporting colleagues earlier today and the topic of conversation inevitably came round to the manager.  I thought one of them made a really good point when he said that he feels that both the current owner and the manager don't really 'get' the club and other managers (O'Leary, Houllier, McLeish) have struggled because they too haven't really understood it.  Conversely, managers such as Ron Atkinson, Brian Little, John Gregory and to some extent Graham Taylor have had a better understanding of the club in the past and have tended to do a little better even if they weren't able to sustain that success.

I had a similar conversation with someone the other day, although we came to the conclusion that Lambert does 'get it'.  Which is a completely different question to whether or not he's actually any good as a manager.  God knows what Lerner thinks, its not as though we've heard a peep out of him for years.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2014, 01:10:07 AM »

I had a similar conversation with someone the other day, although we came to the conclusion that Lambert does 'get it'.  Which is a completely different question to whether or not he's actually any good as a manager.  God knows what Lerner thinks, its not as though we've heard a peep out of him for years.

Might be the case Dekko.  I think the likes of O'Leary and Houllier definitely didn't and always inferior to their previous clubs (O'Leary probably still thinks Leeds are a bigger club than us!!) and were almost resentful of the fans for having any ambition.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2014, 12:12:58 PM »
On a different note did anyone see Mourinho whinging about all the ex-Liverpool players being pundits at the BBC? Quite funny.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2014, 06:33:41 PM »
This is one I have harped on about for years. As well as the managerial curse that is Villa failure, getting us is just as important to be a success.

Lambert gets us, regardless of current performances. TSM did get us to a reasonable extent. He was just crap.

MON got us for all the good it did ultimately.

DOL? Nope.

Houllier? Nope.

How far shall we go back? I have stuck to the Lerner era only at the minute.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »
My take on Collymore is

- he's definitely a Villa fan, and the more of them there are in the media, the better
- we didn't get anything like the best out of him
- we used to give him plenty of stick, I'm not surprised he reacted
- he's had his problems and continues to struggle with them, had our manager at the time been a bit more enlightened, maybe we'd have got more out of him
- he's not a bad broadcaster at all.

Agree on all points

When Stan said he had problems all i ever heard was "What with his money?"
Just goes to show how material things dont matter a jot at times

In fairness I too thought what Gregory said at the time (was only 10) but it was different times. Now with all the mental health issues in Cricket and some more in football, there is much more understanding of it. I wouldn't be too hard on JG even if it was a flawed view.

I like Stan. Yes he plays up a bit too much the support but he's one of us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal