collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 231937 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2013, 05:26:35 PM »
I think unless a full-back manages to prevent the player he's up against from delivering any sort of ball into the box for 90 minutes he'll be deemed to have had a bad game by some! Luna's performance was absolutely fine on Saturday, IMO.

Well actually Snodgrass had 20 cross attempts. In contrast Redmond only had 4 cross attempts. Why? Because one was up against a full-back who played well and one was up against a full-back who played poorly. What is the point of having a full-back if not to prevent opposition wingers getting crosses in?

It's not all about the quantity of crosses. It's as much about the quality of them and if the full back restricts the opposing player into crosses that can be better handled when they come into the box then he has partly done his job. Believe me, even Maldini allowed crosses from his side of the pitch.

I can see Isa's point. At the game on Saturday I was constantly concerned when Snodgrass came up against Luna. It's not the quantity of crosses, no, and I don't doubt that even Maldini allowed a winger to get a ball in from time to time. However, Luna did look frail and it can't be coincidence that Norwich targeted that area of the pitch as Newcastle had done a week previous.

They targeted that area of the pitch because Snodgrass is a good player.

Offline HertsVilla

• I say telescopic dampers, I mean rigid stays...
« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2013, 05:27:26 PM »
Ben Arfa's a quality player and when he's on, most full-backs are going to struggle. Using that 1 game as a stick with which to beat Luna is a tad ridiculous. In the other game, we kept a clean sheet so he couldn't have been that bad.

If you read my response that's exactly what I'm avoiding doing. Playing Devil's Advocate, could it have been Norwich were poorer?

Offline HertsVilla

« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2013, 05:30:20 PM »
I think unless a full-back manages to prevent the player he's up against from delivering any sort of ball into the box for 90 minutes he'll be deemed to have had a bad game by some! Luna's performance was absolutely fine on Saturday, IMO.

Well actually Snodgrass had 20 cross attempts. In contrast Redmond only had 4 cross attempts. Why? Because one was up against a full-back who played well and one was up against a full-back who played poorly. What is the point of having a full-back if not to prevent opposition wingers getting crosses in?

It's not all about the quantity of crosses. It's as much about the quality of them and if the full back restricts the opposing player into crosses that can be better handled when they come into the box then he has partly done his job. Believe me, even Maldini allowed crosses from his side of the pitch.

I can see Isa's point. At the game on Saturday I was constantly concerned when Snodgrass came up against Luna. It's not the quantity of crosses, no, and I don't doubt that even Maldini allowed a winger to get a ball in from time to time. However, Luna did look frail and it can't be coincidence that Norwich targeted that area of the pitch as Newcastle had done a week previous.

That's good logic.

Offline HertsVilla

« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »

That's good logic.

Sorry, I accidentally posted by mistake. So Luna had absolutely nothing to do with it what so ever?

Offline Isa

« Reply #244 on: September 24, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »

That's good logic.

Actually all Norwich fans agree that Snodgrass was out of form coming into the game whilst Redmond was in form. At the beginning of the game Redmond actually had a lot more of the ball. However when Norwich realised that Bacuna was doing a great job on him whilst Snodgrass had acres of space each time he had the ball, they then intensified their pressure down our left side. Especially in the second-half.

Offline HertsVilla

« Reply #245 on: September 24, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »

That's good logic.

Actually all Norwich fans agree that Snodgrass was out of form coming into the game whilst Redmond was in form. At the beginning of the game Redmond actually had a lot more of the ball. However when Norwich realised that Bacuna was doing a great job on him whilst Snodgrass had acres of space each time he had the ball, they then intensified their pressure down our left side. Especially in the second-half.

Yes, all the talk had been about ex-Rag Redmond. He'd taken Southampton to bits a few weeks back. I'm glad someone agrees with me with regard to Snodgrass/Luna/our left side!!! They clearly targeted it as a vulnerability. It can't be a coincidence that our left side also contained Tonev, who was also poor!

Offline dekko

« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
I don't think Tony covered himself in glory on saturday, but I think there is a tendency on here sometimes (not just here, all football fans do it) to criticise our own players rather than giving credit to the opposition.  I'd say it was a combination of a) relatively good winger and b) not quite so good full back in this case.

Westy on the other hand, has simply been not as good as he was last season.  But he did set a very high standard for himself, I'm sure he'll be back to being the player we excpect soon.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #247 on: September 24, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but we did win this game didn't we?

Offline eastie

« Reply #248 on: September 24, 2013, 05:51:17 PM »

Indeed and with a clean sheet so cant see how things could have been as bad as portrayed.

Offline Isa

« Reply #249 on: September 24, 2013, 06:22:33 PM »

Ah yes...the 'a win equates to eleven good performances' theory.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #250 on: September 24, 2013, 06:22:42 PM »

That is a weighty comparison. I remember, many years ago, watching Milan on the Italian on channel 4. Baresi got pulled wide, edge of the box, at the by-line. Attacker shapes to cross. The great man, in one movement, the blink of a mortal's eye, then checks inside himself, sees there's no threat, and lets the bloke cross. Now, are you saying our Tone's THAT good?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #251 on: September 24, 2013, 06:37:24 PM »

Which nobody's said, but feel free to carry on down that road if you like.

Offline Isa

« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2013, 07:08:10 PM »

Which nobody's said, but feel free to carry on down that road if you like.

I was just humouring you... ;)

But I don't get the whole idea that just pointing out that a player has had a poor performance is somehow negative as your original post basically implied.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:12:16 PM by Isa »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #253 on: September 24, 2013, 11:18:47 PM »

That is a weighty comparison. I remember, many years ago, watching Milan on the Italian on channel 4. Baresi got pulled wide, edge of the box, at the by-line. Attacker shapes to cross. The great man, in one movement, the blink of a mortal's eye, then checks inside himself, sees there's no threat, and lets the bloke cross. Now, are you saying our Tone's THAT good?

Off course I am  ::)

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
Couldn't see the point in starting a new thread.

After watching Ash play a few times this season, I think that he has hit the 2nd season syndrome. He was pretty poor on Saturday and should have been subbed at half time. Instead KEA got pulled, and whilst not a huge fan of his either, he was having more of an effect on the game than AW.  His crossing from dead balls has been woeful and to me he's chasing the game where as at points last season he was having a controlling influence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal