collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 232038 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »
If Bennett impresses tonight, he must keep his place for Saturday. Luna's last two performances have been nothing short of horrendous.

No they haven't really.

They would've been had Bennett produced them no doubt.

Bennett struggled to adjust last season and we needed another left back anyway. I don't think Luna has been that bad and he definatley has'nt been horrendous. He was carrying an injury on Saturday and maybe should'nt have played but he did and overall he was ok.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2013, 03:46:22 PM »
Luna has been poor in both previous fixtures, particularly against Cabaye where he kept showing him on to his stronger foot  , thereby inviting him to shoot. That said, he is still adjusting to English football so I think judgements can be a little rash sometimes. It'd be great if Bennett impresses tonight; although, I'd still be concerned that he is defensively frail and IMO was the worst player last season.

Bennett the worse player last season ?  not for me....Bannan,Ireland all failed to produce any sort of performance.

Bennett is a very young lad playing quite a few games for us and although is likely to make a poor challenge here and there, for me actually started to look settled in the position.

as for Tony Moon he looks quite a good footballer and can only get better, in my opinion

UTV
The Doc

Offline Isa

« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2013, 04:03:20 PM »
If Bennett impresses tonight, he must keep his place for Saturday. Luna's last two performances have been nothing short of horrendous.

No they haven't really.

Bennett struggled to adjust last season and we needed another left back anyway. I don't think Luna has been that bad and he definatley has'nt been horrendous. He was carrying an injury on Saturday and maybe should'nt have played but he did and overall he was ok.

Norwich rarely bothered to attack down the right in the end because they saw (as most of us did) that Luna offered zero resistance to Snodgrass. Every time they attacked down the left, they got a cross in. Certainly as bad as anything Bennett produced last season.

If he was indeed playing with an injury then Lambert gets most of the blame considering he had fully-fit players who could cover.

Online Clampy

« Reply #228 on: September 24, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »

No they haven't really.

Norwich rarely bothered to attack down the right in the end because they saw (as most of us did) that Luna offered zero resistance to Snodgrass. Every time they attacked down the left, they got a cross in. Certainly as bad as anything Bennett produced last season.

What are you talking about?

Offline eastie

« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »
Bennett showed a lot of promise in the last few months of the season and i certainly wouldn't write him off or class him as the worst player of last season - there were far worse than him .

As for luna i can't comment on the Norwich game and no doubt he was poor against newcastle but so were most of the team - i would have no qualms if we line up with either luna or Bennett at left back as both have shown potential .
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:29:50 PM by eastie »

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2013, 04:29:27 PM »
I think unless a full-back manages to prevent the player he's up against from delivering any sort of ball into the box for 90 minutes he'll be deemed to have had a bad game by some! Luna's performance was absolutely fine on Saturday, IMO.

Online Clampy

« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2013, 04:36:27 PM »
I've just said to someone on here that so far we've played 3 away games and let in three goals, one of which was an own goal. I think a bit of credit's due personally.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »
I think unless a full-back manages to prevent the player he's up against from delivering any sort of ball into the box for 90 minutes he'll be deemed to have had a bad game by some! Luna's performance was absolutely fine on Saturday, IMO.
nail on the head Russ...

Offline Isa

« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »

Well actually Snodgrass had 20 cross attempts. In contrast Redmond only had 4 cross attempts. Why? Because one was up against a full-back who played well and one was up against a full-back who played poorly. What is the point of having a full-back if not to prevent opposition wingers getting crosses in?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »

Well actually Snodgrass had 20 cross attempts. In contrast Redmond only had 4 cross attempts. Why? Because one was up against a full-back who played well and one was up against a full-back who played poorly. What is the point of having a full-back if not to prevent opposition wingers getting crosses in?

It's not all about the quantity of crosses. It's as much about the quality of them and if the full back restricts the opposing player into crosses that can be better handled when they come into the box then he has partly done his job. Believe me, even Maldini allowed crosses from his side of the pitch.

Offline HertsVilla

• I say telescopic dampers, I mean rigid stays...
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2013, 05:05:52 PM »
* Sorry chaps, I confused Cabaye with Ben Arfa.
I thought he dealt with Ben Arfa quite well in the first half but as the game wore on gave him more space.
What Ben Arfa did, though, was to pin Luna back so we didn't see the best part of his game; getting forward.

Luna struggled against Ben Arfa all game, IMO, and was constantly left baffled by his unpredictability. How many times did Ben Arfa feign a move inside and then disappear down the touchline or drop a shoulder and hit an early short. Although, coming up against a winger of Ben Arfa's ability 4 games into your career in the Premier League is inevitably going to prove difficult for any full back! Plus, we were all too often overrun in the middle of the park, which wouldn't have helped.

Offline HertsVilla

« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »
Luna has been poor in both previous fixtures, particularly against Cabaye where he kept showing him on to his stronger foot  , thereby inviting him to shoot. That said, he is still adjusting to English football so I think judgements can be a little rash sometimes. It'd be great if Bennett impresses tonight; although, I'd still be concerned that he is defensively frail and IMO was the worst player last season.

Bennett the worse player last season ?  not for me....Bannan,Ireland all failed to produce any sort of performance.

Bennett is a very young lad playing quite a few games for us and although is likely to make a poor challenge here and there, for me actually started to look settled in the position.

as for Tony Moon he looks quite a good footballer and can only get better, in my opinion

UTV
The Doc

Worst in terms of regular starting XI. Ireland, Bannan et al were written off because of their poor performances early in the season. Bennett, I feel, did begin to improve but only after some awful performances. Bradford away anyone? I understand he is young and inexperienced and as a collective last season was very difficult so, in retrospect, perhaps my wording was harsh. 

I agree with your thoughts regarding Luna. He looks promising.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #237 on: September 24, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »
Ben Arfa's a quality player and when he's on, most full-backs are going to struggle. Using that 1 game as a stick with which to beat Luna is a tad ridiculous. In the other game, we kept a clean sheet so he couldn't have been that bad.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »
* Sorry chaps, I confused Cabaye with Ben Arfa.
I thought he dealt with Ben Arfa quite well in the first half but as the game wore on gave him more space.
What Ben Arfa did, though, was to pin Luna back so we didn't see the best part of his game; getting forward.

Luna struggled against Ben Arfa all game, IMO, and was constantly left baffled by his unpredictability. How many times did Ben Arfa feign a move inside and then disappear down the touchline or drop a shoulder and hit an early short. Although, coming up against a winger of Ben Arfa's ability 4 games into your career in the Premier League is inevitably going to prove difficult for any full back! Plus, we were all too often overrun in the middle of the park, which wouldn't have helped.

Snodgrass is a very effective player as well and was the only Norwich player who was a threat, I said on the day, the issue with slating a full back if a winger plays well is, would you blame our winger if the opposition full back kept him quiet?  Would that not be a case of the full back just doing his job?  Sometimes you have to accept that the opposition have played well, and unfortunately for Luna he's been up against the oppositions best player 2 weeks running.

Offline HertsVilla

« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2013, 05:24:25 PM »

It's not all about the quantity of crosses. It's as much about the quality of them and if the full back restricts the opposing player into crosses that can be better handled when they come into the box then he has partly done his job. Believe me, even Maldini allowed crosses from his side of the pitch.

I can see Isa's point. At the game on Saturday I was constantly concerned when Snodgrass came up against Luna. It's not the quantity of crosses, no, and I don't doubt that even Maldini allowed a winger to get a ball in from time to time. However, Luna did look frail and it can't be coincidence that Norwich targeted that area of the pitch as Newcastle had done a week previous.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal