collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Away Support  (Read 17774 times)

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
Re: Away Support
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 01:03:17 AM »
I've been to three away games this season and as ever it is a broad church as regards our followers. I personally love that and as a bit of a secret people watcher, I am fascinated by different reactions. At Swindon, for example, I stood next to a lovely older couple who looked real old school Villa and barely showed any emotion the whole game even when we scored right at the death. In front of me, I had the obligatory big skinhead who was starting all the singing and a fine job he made of it too. Somewhere in my vicinity, we also had the obligatory phantom farter. To my right was a lovely young woman with whom I hugged when we scored our winner and a super steward to whom, by the way, every Villa fan around me said goodbye and thank you to at the end of the game. And just to my left, was the also obligatory 'gesticulator at the opposing fans' young male who spent the whole match giving the finger and pointing seemingly to some specific fan in the Swindon section. And it has been pretty much the same in about 40 years of following Villa away, the biggest difference being that you used to be treated as scum by the police in the old days and that doesn't tend to happen too much now. As for the songs, I think you could probably cringe at almost all of them if you over analyse them too much. For the most part, our away support is fantastic and I felt very proud to be a Villa fan at Southampton, Fulham and Swindon. But then, I always have been and always will....

Well said, Richard.  Excellent summation.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2012, 07:51:28 AM »
Thank you Pauline, hope all is well with you and Jon!

Offline arnie66

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
Some nice comments from Swindon there.
One of my highlights this season was meeting Nigel Kennedy at St Mary's, where ? In the Directors Box ? no, in the away end with us lot. Fabulous to see him and his Mrs mingling with us.

He sits in the Trinity Block B ....attends most home games and seems to be a real Villa fanatic......his Mrs is well fit as well.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »
Some nice comments from Swindon there.
One of my highlights this season was meeting Nigel Kennedy at St Mary's, where ? In the Directors Box ? no, in the away end with us lot. Fabulous to see him and his Mrs mingling with us.

He sits in the Trinity Block B ....attends most home games and seems to be a real Villa fanatic......his Mrs is well fit as well.
He's a big fan. Was at St Mary's in the home strip with Agbonlahor 11 on the back :-)

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »
Nigel Kennedy was in the Bartons after the last game of the 10/11 season when we beat Liverpool. Small Heath's relegation was also confirmed that day and cdvillafan of this parish had him playing the world's smallest violin just for them. It was a good day.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »
Nigel Kennedy was in the pub before the Fulham game the other week - can't remember the name of the pub.

Spizz was there as well, sitting in the beer garden.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2012, 02:22:03 PM »

Partaking of an "energi" drink ?

Offline W5AVFC

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
Nigel Kennedy was in the pub before the Fulham game the other week - can't remember the name of the pub.

The Crabtree. Good pub.

Offline Kingthing

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »

The Crabtree. Good pub.

After speaking with him outside the Crabtree I've sent a request for him to join the Kingston Lions, his PA seemed enthusiastic.

He'll be replacing Chico Hamilton who, if I'm honest, brings nothing to the table.

I've also sent requests to David Cameron, Prince William and Mervyn King, strangely enough I've not heard anything back from them, must be busy.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2012, 05:35:10 PM »
I've also sent requests to David Cameron, Prince William and Mervyn King, strangely enough I've not heard anything back from them, must be busy.

One of those three is a genuine, match-going supporter.

Offline Rioch is King

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2012, 05:40:48 PM »
Very interesting thread and excellent post from Mr Moore, thank you. Is Spizz a Villa fan then?

Online BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »

Slight digression but Spizz, in various guises, played a major part in my gig attending days in the late 70's/early 80's. First saw as Spizz Oil supporting Siouxsie & The Banshees at the Mayfair Suite in Oct 1978; The Human League were below them on the bill!! Next saw as Spizzenergi supporting Bette Bright & The Illuminations at Barbarella's in Feb 1979. Then, again as Spizzenergi, in Sep 1979 at 'Futurama 1979 - The World's First Science Fiction Music Festival', Queen's Hall, Leeds in Sep 1979. Joy Division were on the bill, and PIL headlined. I even missed a Man United home game (only one since 1966) to go to that. Later that month, as Spizzenergi, saw them support Siouxsie & The Banshees and The Cure at Odeon. Saw for the last time as Athletico Spizz 80 supporting The Clash and Mikey Dread at the Top Rank in Feb 1980.     

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2012, 07:45:33 PM »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2012, 08:01:07 PM »
BC54 VFC: you've only missed one Man Utd home game since 1966?

What are you doing on here you plastic, glory-hunting twat?

*wink*

Offline Rioch is King

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »
Thanks for the Spizz link - I didn't realized. Saw them a few times, once with the Clash at the Top rank I thought - with Suicide and The Coventry specials.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal