collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Away Support  (Read 17759 times)

Offline W5AVFC

Re: Away Support
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »
I play five a side with 2 Fulham ST holders, who happily admitted that we are the best away fans in terms of noise most seasons. One did comment "you all like a drink" so I can imagine in 3000 away fans of whom most have had more than their fair share of booze there would be a couple of silly incidents. Another mate who is a Saints ST holder thought we were as loud as anyone at St Marys.

I went to Fulham - Everton Saturday after a spare ST came up, and frankly I thought Everton were superb, and should have won 4 or 5 nil. Everton's support was also good, but not as noisy as I would have expected considering it was a sell out and they were a joy to watch and had 80% of the play. Baines, and Coleman were excellent at left and right back bombing on whilst everything went through Fellaini. How Fulham got a point I have still not worked out.

Offline Ducksworthy

• GM : 20.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »
It's probably just me, but to me the worst away fans I've seen at Villa Park are the Albion. That "veeeeee-lla" thing they do really does grate on me. It just seems the most small-time, immature thing they could do.

Offline freethinker

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »
I read this on a Swindon forum recently:

"Watching those cunty Villa fans at the end celebrating like they'd won the lottery, world cup and Ashes all in one summed up how fucking bad their season is gonna be."

The responses were quite complimentary though:

"Very much to their credit, proper fans of a proper club...something I can't stand is fans of Champion's League regulars, who can barely raise a round of applause, when they score a goal against some inferior opposition, because they expect it."

"For the record, I actually thought the villa fans were damn loud when they got themselves together...some of the loudest I have ever heard at the CG..."

"I've got nothing against their lot at all.  The Villa fans I met on the way to the game were genuine enough.  They're not the force they once were, and the fans know it.  They seem pretty grounded to me."

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »
We've got a great away support, yes we have a few idiots everyone does!

No original songs is nonsense, the lets pretend we scored a goal was hilarious at Anfield for example.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
It's probably just me, but to me the worst away fans I've seen at Villa Park are the Albion. That "veeeeee-lla" thing they do really does grate on me. It just seems the most small-time, immature thing they could do.

Have to admit, I think it's quite funny, and you're right, it does grate, but that's kind of the point innit.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 04:52:40 PM »

No original songs is nonsense, the lets pretend we scored a goal was hilarious at Anfield for example.

Didn't Derby do that the season they were shit? I'm sure I remember it mentioned when we tonked them 6-0.

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »

Didn't Derby do that the season they were shit? I'm sure I remember it mentioned when we tonked them 6-0.

Ok maybe not so original  :-[

Freethinker's post is a perfect example of how different people see different things at games.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »
You will never get an objective view from one set of fans about another, we've all got our prejudices about particular clubs and everything is filtered through that prisms.

So what do you expect from a bunch of arriviste cads and bounders?

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »
I've been to three away games this season and as ever it is a broad church as regards our followers. I personally love that and as a bit of a secret people watcher, I am fascinated by different reactions. At Swindon, for example, I stood next to a lovely older couple who looked real old school Villa and barely showed any emotion the whole game even when we scored right at the death. In front of me, I had the obligatory big skinhead who was starting all the singing and a fine job he made of it too. Somewhere in my vicinity, we also had the obligatory phantom farter. To my right was a lovely young woman with whom I hugged when we scored our winner and a super steward to whom, by the way, every Villa fan around me said goodbye and thank you to at the end of the game. And just to my left, was the also obligatory 'gesticulator at the opposing fans' young male who spent the whole match giving the finger and pointing seemingly to some specific fan in the Swindon section. And it has been pretty much the same in about 40 years of following Villa away, the biggest difference being that you used to be treated as scum by the police in the old days and that doesn't tend to happen too much now. As for the songs, I think you could probably cringe at almost all of them if you over analyse them too much. For the most part, our away support is fantastic and I felt very proud to be a Villa fan at Southampton, Fulham and Swindon. But then, I always have been and always will....

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 05:29:49 PM »
Some nice comments from Swindon there.
One of my highlights this season was meeting Nigel Kennedy at St Mary's, where ? In the Directors Box ? no, in the away end with us lot. Fabulous to see him and his Mrs mingling with us.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
fantastic post Mr Moore.. agree with every word.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
Me too.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 07:36:41 PM »
We might see a nasty Villa following at the Hawthorns in January. A 5:30 kick off it seems...

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »
Well us black country types are guaranteed NOT to play nicely...

Stripy, fucking....

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2012, 10:01:09 PM »
I took a few Everton fans to the Bolton game last year (where we won 1-2) and they said whilst we were very, very funny they'd never met a more pessimistic bunch of supporters in their lives. To be fair, we were singing "how shit must you be, we're winning away" and, when 2-0 up, "2-2, we're gonna draw 2-2".

Tis all jolly japes, following Villa away.
And at the same game I watched some Villa fans kicking the shite out of each other (well, when I say kicking, it was more fisticuffs ... but with intent) in the seats behind the goal; all rather weird and discouraging.

But having said that, I love away games; they give a great sense of pride and belonging about the club that home games don't.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:04:48 PM by Mister E »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal