collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan Hutton the Scottish Cafu Retires  (Read 93992 times)

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »
It was a reckless and unneccesarily brutal challenge. Most referees would have given a yellow or a red card depending on their view. If Hutton had been sent off, I don't think we could have complained. The reason why the horrible Houllier asked his players to stay calm and composed was to avoid tackles like these (and possible red cards). To confuse Hutton's idocy with commitment is delusional. He needs to stop it, or we will play more matches with ten men, and we struggle enough as it is with eleven.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2011, 08:54:24 PM »
I think Hutton is not very good  however yesterday he got the ball about a week before  Long got to him. He was ahead of him in getting to the ball and Long got in the way. That is the way I saw it.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2011, 09:26:05 PM »
How sad that some people still feel the need to try and justify a dreadful challenge.  The rules are quite clear.

"A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Any player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off...."

No mention of winning the ball or not, it's utterly fucking irrelevant.  Hutton lunged at the ball with both legs off the ground knowing full well his follow through would endanger Long.  You might not like the rules and you might think football is being turned into a non-contact sport, but they are the rules as they stand and Hutton was lucky that Dowd failed to apply them.  How much clearer does it have to be before people stop using the fact that he got the ball as an excuse? .

I'd rather have almost anyone playing right back than Cuellar - Paris Hilton, Johnny from X factor, Bernie Gallagher, almost anyone.  Except Hutton. 

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2011, 11:00:29 PM »
I think Hutton is not very good  however yesterday he got the ball about a week before  Long got to him.
Which is still utterly irrelevant.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2011, 11:08:09 PM »
A question for those who have defended Hutton's challenge on this thread:

Would you be willing to pass it off merely as a "strong, hard tackle" if Mulumbu had made it on Gabby, breaking his leg in the process?

We are all one eyed from time to time, but I feel that some are defending the indefensible on here.

He didn't break his leg though did he? That's just Hodgson's spin. Football used to be a contact sport.
And it's not anymore.

Which is why it deserved a red card.

No, it didn't. You can quote laws all day at me if you feel so inclined but we all know that referees interprate them differently so trying to make out it that there is no debate doesn't wash.
Oh, there's certainly a debate that can be had. Hence this and other threads But there's still a correct answer at the end of it.

Their penalty decision can be debated as well, but it was still the wrong decision. Just as the Hutton one was.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2011, 11:11:22 PM »
I'd give up Dave. You and about 3 others have tried to explain it to them and its still not registering.

Offline Tony

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2011, 11:22:43 PM »
There are at least two other challenges to compare Hutton's tackle with from today's game, Drogba's where he was sent off and Evra's where he wasn't. The key difference to me still seems to be two footed studs up challenges will get you sent off, Hutton won the ball with one foot, he was there well before Long, that seems to have been his saving grace, another ref may have decided it was a red, others a yellow and others like yesterday, that it was a tackle and the collision was just one of those things.

Online The Left Side

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2011, 12:01:31 AM »
Is he better than Habib Beye?

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2011, 08:12:07 AM »
He seems like a mindless drunken thug who has no idea what he's doing on the pitch. That's the best way I can describe about him lightly.

How come you didn't manage to get a dig in at McLeish as well like in all your other posts? Tough tackling has always been part of a full backs game. Funny how a seriously anti-Villa ref did not see enough wrong with it to send him off.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2011, 08:42:13 AM »
There are at least two other challenges to compare Hutton's tackle with from today's game, Drogba's where he was sent off and Evra's where he wasn't. The key difference to me still seems to be two footed studs up challenges will get you sent off, Hutton won the ball with one foot, he was there well before Long, that seems to have been his saving grace, another ref may have decided it was a red, others a yellow and others like yesterday, that it was a tackle and the collision was just one of those things.

The challenge by that Everton lad,  Rodwell, against Liverpool a couple of weeks ago was tame compared to Hutton's.  He won the ball with one foot as well, didn't really have his studs up but his follow through was deemed to have been enough to endanger Sanchez (who to be fair was barely touched and made a total meal of it).  That one was harsh but it goes to show that winning the ball or not has nothing to do with it. 

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2011, 08:57:48 AM »
I thought it was a yellow card offence and had he been shown red i'd have understood it.Dowd as usual was useless.He booked Mulumbu later in the game for a perfectly good tackle and the sending off was ridiculous, though to be fair to fat Phil the lino gave that decision.However, Albion deserved the three points we were second best all over the pitch, not even Dowd can take the blame for that.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2011, 09:00:58 AM »
It looked a well timed tackle to me at the time, full blooded.  TV replays make it look reckless. It was possibly Hutton's only meaningful contribution in an otherwise poor display, Cuellar is a much better defender than Hutton, not ideal for that position but certainly an improvement.

How much did Spurs pay for Hutton?

Offline VillaSpen

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2011, 09:46:57 AM »

How much did Spurs pay for Hutton?

It was, unbelievably, in the region of 9 million, apparently.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2011, 11:19:15 AM »
I'd give up Dave. You and about 3 others have tried to explain it to them and its still not registering.

It's all down to interpretation, whether the ref deems it reckless, dangerous or whatever. To me it was metely aggressive to you it was worse. I know the wording of the law, it's been quoted ad nauseum, but that doesn't take away the human element of judging each case.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2011, 12:55:39 PM »
I take it Hutton's on lower wages than Young?  That's his plus point?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal