collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan Hutton the Scottish Cafu Retires  (Read 93984 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »
Would much prefer to see Cuellar play there.

What does Carlos offer at right back that Hutton doesn't?

Carlos can't cross or pass.  He doesn't think about what he's doing and as a result either just hoofs it or gets caught in possession.

I like Carlos, but as a centre-half.  At best he's an average right back.  Just like Hutton.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »
He's better than Hutton. I also prefer him at centre-half, though.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2011, 04:34:41 PM »
I don't recall Cuellar coming as close to giving away penalties and getting sent off as often as Hutton has managed to do this season.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »
I don't recall Cuellar coming as close to giving away penalties and getting sent off as often as Hutton has managed to do this season.

Hutton's played almost every game for us this season and hasn't given any pens away or been sent off as far as I can recall.  In fact, he's only had two yellows in all those games which isn't too bad for a defender in the modern game.

I think a lot of the anti-Hutton comments are the same as the anti-McLeish comments.  Some didn't want him here so they're not going to give him a chance.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2011, 04:57:10 PM »

Hutton's played almost every game for us this season and hasn't given any pens away or been sent off as far as I can recall.  In fact, he's only had two yellows in all those games which isn't too bad for a defender in the modern game.

I think a lot of the anti-Hutton comments are the same as the anti-McLeish comments.  Some didn't want him here so they're not going to give him a chance.

Fair enough, he had a poor game for the time he was on, but who didn't. I think the fact he has replaced a reliable defender doesn't help his cause though.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
He's a dirty clown. Looked likely to either get sent off or give a penalty away in every game I've seen him play.

Waste of money.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2011, 07:17:28 PM »
Would much prefer to see Cuellar play there.

What does Carlos offer at right back that Hutton doesn't?

Carlos can't cross or pass.  He doesn't think about what he's doing and as a result either just hoofs it or gets caught in possession.

I like Carlos, but as a centre-half.  At best he's an average right back.  Just like Hutton.

Cuellar can defend.

Hutton is an accident waiting to happen.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »

Why would people have had an agenda against Hutton before he came here? It's not as if we had any "previous" with him, is it?

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2011, 07:19:29 PM »
It shows the level of his performances that Cuellar is a better option at right back... at least he can defend.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2011, 07:30:53 PM »
A question for those who have defended Hutton's challenge on this thread:

Would you be willing to pass it off merely as a "strong, hard tackle" if Mulumbu had made it on Gabby, breaking his leg in the process?

We are all one eyed from time to time, but I feel that some are defending the indefensible on here.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »
I don't really give a flying one about his challenge. Yes, it was a bad challenge, and he was lucky not to get sent off, but it was one tackle in one match, and you can't really judge a player fairly on that.

What you can judge players on, though, is how they do in matches over a longer period of time, and Hutton has, in his admittedly short time here, looked like the least composed, least capable full back we've had for a long time.

I used to think Aaron Hughes was shit, but Hutton makes him look like Ashley Cole.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2011, 07:46:57 PM »

Would you be willing to pass it off merely as a "strong, hard tackle" if Mulumbu had made it on Gabby, breaking his leg in the process?

We are all one eyed from time to time, but I feel that some are defending the indefensible on here.

He didn't break his leg though did he? That's just Hodgson's spin. Football used to be a contact sport.

You're very keen  to stick up for the Baggies on a couple of threads, is it Bob Taylor's work rate you are celebrating? ;-)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »

He didn't break his leg though did he? That's just Hodgson's spin. Football used to be a contact sport.
And it's not anymore.

Which is why it deserved a red card.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2011, 07:54:58 PM »

You're very keen  to stick up for the Baggies on a couple of threads, is it Bob Taylor's work rate you are celebrating? ;-)

I've actually met Bob Taylor, nice bloke  ;)

Gerrard didn't break George Boateng's leg in 2001, didn't make it any less of a bad challenge (although that one was worse)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2011, 08:00:14 PM »

And it's not anymore.

Which is why it deserved a red card.

No, it didn't. You can quote laws all day at me if you feel so inclined but we all know that referees interprate them differently so trying to make out it that there is no debate doesn't wash.

If he'd gone over the top of the ball then I'd have agreed with you, but he didn't so to me and it was just a hard but fair challenge where his momentum caused the collision with Long.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal