collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point?  (Read 256622 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point?
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »
so is Carolynn the hottest female celebrity Villa fan ?

Well she is probably in the Top1

Kate Beckinsale surely makes for a discussion.

Kate Beckinsale is a Villa fan?  Really?

From what I recall her actual reaction when asked about sport was that she wasn't really a big follower of any sport but she always kept an eye on Villa because of how much we meant to her dad.  It was something like that, so yeah slightly tenuous.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Goal.com

Goal caught up with Primal Scream's keyboardist Martin Duffy to talk Aston Villa, Christian Benteke's form and why Arsenal are his pick to win the Premier League.

Hey, Martin. How are you?

Yeah, I’m good, just about [sounds unconvincing]. We did a gig in Brixton last night and I’ve just about recovered.

It’s quite a hectic schedule you’ve got, isn’t it?

The last few weeks have been pretty busy. We were in California, Japan and we were in Europe for about three weeks and that was the straw that nearly broke the camel’s back. A lot of long drives. But it was good fun.

Let’s talk Villa, how did you end up supporting them?

It was my dad, really. He came from a big family and they were all ‘Bluenose’ [Birmingham City fans] but he saw the light, or the light saw him, and he was a Villa fan.

And how are you rating their season so far?

Well, I went to seem them at Fulham and it wasn’t very good watching, to tell you the truth. But we’re mid-table which is better than being above the relegation zone.

I’d be quite happy to end anywhere mid-table, I mean it’s terrible you have to say you’d be happy with mid-table, but the last couple of seasons we’ve just about scraped our way out of being relegated.

But we’ve beaten Manchester City, we’ve beaten Arsenal and we’re in a transition at the moment.

Benteke was such a saviour last year, but when he got injured [earlier this season] I think he’s still coming back from it. We relied on Benteke last year, I don’t know, maybe teams have sussed him out this year and they realise they need to watch out for him. He was a bit of a surprise character last year and he managed to score a lot of goals.

But it’s Villa, it’s inconsistent, we’re okay one week, get a great result, then the next week, like the Fulham game, it’s…yeah.

It’s surprising how they can go from beating Southampton away to then losing badly at Fulham.

Yeah, I know. Their manager brought in some of the younger players and they wanted to win more than we did.

And we’ve actually got a better away record than a home record, normally we do pretty well away from home. But this time we looked pretty predictable.

My 10-year-old son is a big Villa fan and we were right behind the goal, so we were probably on the telly, but, yeah, it wasn’t a good watch.

Are you backing Benteke to come good?

This season was always going to be difficult for Benteke. Last season, people didn’t quite know him that well and he was on such a roll.

The first game [this season] he scored twice against Arsenal and I though he’ll carry on from where he left off but he got the injury and I don’t think he’s quite come back from the injury yet.

But we’re relying on [Libor] Kozak and [Andreas] Weimann, people like that, to fill in, but hopefully he’ll come good.

Last year he was incredible. For such a big guy, he was strong on the ball, he was a pleasure to watch. I hope he starts playing again. But you get injuries and there’s more pressure on him.

In an interview earlier this year you said Benteke was one of the best players you’ve ever seen for Villa, still standing by that?

From just watching him last year, yeah. He’s so strong, so physical and he had so much skill. From last season, he was one of the best players I’ve seen.

Maybe I was getting a bit carried away but I’m going to stick with him. Hopefully, once he finds his mojo again, he’ll start scoring regularly.

And if he has a good World Cup, would you like to keep him or do you think he’ll leave?

Well, on the strength of the Fulham game, we’ll have a problem selling him.

He’s signed a contract but that doesn’t mean anything does it? I’m hoping, for him and us, that he has a good season.

The kind of club Villa are now, you don’t expect to hold onto players. It’s the way football is these days. We had someone like Ashley Young and wanted to go to Manchester United, and you look at that and you think we probably did a good thing.

We’ve had to get rid of some great players over the last five or six years because they wanted to go to United or Manchester City.

It’s tough. Paul Lambert’s having to spend his money wisely.

And do you think Lambert is spending wisely?

Yeah. I think clubs have had to rein it in a bit. Villa have had to spend money wisely. We’ve always managed to bring in players. People like Dwight Yorke, over the years, they get itchy feet, want to play in the Champions League, and they tend to just go. We’ve got used to it at Villa.

Benteke was a shock when he agreed to stay. I’m hoping he comes good, again.

Are you happy with the way Lambert is running things?

It’s such a young squad. Last season, at one point, Alex McLeish had a better record than him. It’s a transition. This season, even though people are expecting more, is another year [for transition].

But you can only have so many years of it. You’ve got to be pretty quick with getting it right.

Are you confident of steering clear of relegation?

I tell you, these last two seasons, I’m a piano player and I hardly had any fingers left. It was awful.

It was the penultimate game [last season] we were just safe. But I don’t think I can go through that again.

I think this year we’ll improve, I don’t like that feeling of being fourth from bottom with three or two games to go.

And a remix of your song ‘Come Together’ is the intro for BT Sport’s live football coverage…

Yeah, the first game of the season they asked us to go on [the show]. And we did a live bit.

We got to meet Gordon Strachan and we ended up watching the Celtic game in the green room. Hanging out with him was lovely. So, yeah, we got to meet Gordon Strachan.

But it was the week where England had just beaten Scotland in that friendly. And I thought they were pretty unlucky. With Primal Scream being Scottish, you know, I do have Scottish inclinations. But it’s good to meet footballers and Strachan was lovely, he was a real gentleman.

Did some of your bandmates have much to say since the 6-1 defeat at Barcelona?

Well, no. They were pretty quiet.

They are Celtic through and through. Whenever we’ve played in Glasgow, and it’s coincided, we’ve been to some great games at Celtic.

I think they didn’t expect that [the heavy defeat] but it was only last year that Celtic beat them. Rod Stewart’s tears.

But the state of the Scottish game, though, they haven’t even got Rangers to play now on a regular basis.

It wasn’t an easy result, but it’s Barcelona isn’t it?

How about Villa in Europe in a couple of seasons?

Well, I remember them winning the European Cup. I would have been about 12 or 13 years old, and at the time, Liverpool had won it two or three times and Nottingham Forest had won it, and it was like another English team wins the European Cup and it wasn’t that big a deal.

But, yeah, it would be nice for us to get into Europe. Even if it’s the Europa League.

Realistically though, mid-table I’d be very happy. It’s a sorry state of affairs to say that but that’s the way it is at the moment.

So top ten is the aim?

Top ten would be great. But you’ve got teams like Swansea. In the old days, you’d expect to win or expect to lose but every team is difficult now.

It's unpredictable in that way. This season, Manchester United are losing games, Chelsea are losing games. Okay, Arsenal, are playing like they normally play but the other clubs seem to be dropping a lot of points.

Who’s your pick for the title?

It’s open isn’t it. I don’t know. Liverpool are looking quite impressive, aren’t they? I can’t see Manchester United winning the title. Chelsea they are still strong. Manchester City, even though they have been dropping points and getting beaten…I don’t know.

If I had to pick one I’d rather see Arsenal win it for a change than the normal suspects. But they could implode as well. But I think Arsenal might have that consistency there with Arsene Wenger. I’m going to say Arsenal.

And will Villa finish above West Brom?

Again, that is another difficult one. West Brom have been, I hate to say it, the best club in the Midlands in the last two seasons. We managed to get a draw against them this season but I think we’ll just about finish above them. I’ve got to say that.

Do you still play football at all?

No, not any more. I’ve got a 10-year-old son, Louie, he plays for West Hove Dynamos. They were in the quarter finals but they got knocked out of the cup, they play in the Sussex league, but I go to see him play.

Occasionally they have a dad’s knock-around but I’m bit match unfit. It’s exhausting just watching Louie play.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
Mark King of Level 42, I think.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2013, 07:47:41 PM »
Redd Pepper.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2014, 09:14:09 PM »
I really didn't know Prince William is a Villa fan. Is Ozzy Osbourne?

Where's Ryu?
Whether that makes him a Villa fan I'll let you decide.

Nice t-shirt Ozzy!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:18:34 PM by Mortimer's Bear »

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure during that era, Ozzy had no idea what his name was or where he was let alone what t-shirt he was wearing.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2014, 11:28:26 PM »
Actually, it looks like pre-blizzard Ozzy.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2014, 07:33:42 AM »
Ozzy was asked on Radio 1 a number years ago which football club he supported, he replied he wasn't a big football fan but if he supported any club it would be the Villa.

Offline villa kicks

« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2014, 10:20:57 PM »
so is Carolynn the hottest female celebrity Villa fan ?

Well she is probably in the Top1

Emma Willis !  8)

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2014, 10:25:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure during that era, Ozzy had no idea what his name was or where he was let alone what t-shirt he was wearing.
I feel like that now

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2014, 10:01:32 PM »
Hamish Marshall, Gloucestershire and ex New Zealand cricketer, in his column in the Glos Echo tonight "My club are Aston Villa and they are still not safe from relegation, so I'm more worried about them getting one more win than what is going on at Old Trafford"

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2014, 10:10:58 PM »

I watched Sabbath at Download in 2012, Geezer had a Villa scarf thrown at him...he put it straight on....he's a proper fan.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2014, 11:56:36 PM »
Daily Heil

'Gary Lineker destroyed half the crockery in my kitchen and took out three windows with a nine-iron. Impressive': Inside the head of Nigel Kennedy

He deliberately crashed his new Jag into the gates of Aston Villa FC to ‘baptise’ it and once nearly killed a Pet Shop Boy with a television set. Nigel Kennedy, the daft-as-a-brush violinist who’s terrified of vampires, take a bow!

By Jon Wilde

PUBLISHED: 22:00, 26 April 2014 | UPDATED: 22:16, 26 April 2014

What is your earliest memory?

I remember being two months old and my mother had left me on the balcony in my pram. She’d gone off to teach a piano lesson in London and forgot she’d left me there. I recall screaming a lot and I was freezing, but no one came to rescue me. It’s probably very telling that my first memory is one of abandonment.

What sort of child were you?

I suppose I was an odd sort of kid. I went to the Yehudi Menuhin Music School, which was specially designed for odd people. We were all precocious brats who happened to have some musical talent. There were few kids there in the same age group as me, so it didn’t feel normal in any way. For the first three years, I made no musical progress. I was almost chucked out for interrupting  the other kids.

What was the best night of your life?

All my best nights are football-related. I can’t top the night Villa beat Liverpool 5-1 in 1976. Liverpool were said to be the best team in the world and we demolished them, scoring five goals in the first half. It was the greatest 45 minutes of football of all time. I feel blessed I was standing in the Holte End [at Villa Park] to witness it.

What’s the biggest star name in your contact book?

Names don’t come much bigger than Gary Lineker. The last time he was around my house we played kitchen golf. This involves whacking a golf ball around the kitchen, seeing how much  damage you can do to plates and dishes. Lineker used a nine iron so he had a decent amount of gradient. With one swing he destroyed half the crockery in the house and took three windows out.  Very impressive.

Who would you like to say sorry to?

I once threw a television set and it narrowly missed Neil Tennant’s head. I was staying at a nice hotel and fancied chucking a TV set into the pool. So I dragged the telly up onto the roof and threw it over the side. Neil Tennant happened to be walking past and it missed him by a few inches. I ought to feel sorry about that, but I don’t. It might have been more interesting if the TV set had killed him. Chris Lowe would have had to continue as The Pet Shop Boy.

What is your biggest regret?

Some years ago I decided to grow a long, scruffy beard. I thought it looked quite cool but the problem was that it kept getting tangled up in my violin.

What is your worst character trait?

I don’t mind admitting that I’m very selfish with my time. Being a musician, it goes with the territory. I need to practise three hours a day, every day. Nothing is allowed to get in the way of that, which not everybody understands. I can’t have people walking in and starting a conversation. They wouldn’t do that if I was working on a factory floor. If I’m distracted, it might take two hours to get my concentration back. So I need to be ruthless with my time.

Who would play you in a film of your life?

It would have to be Gary Oldman. Look at the way he played Joe Orton and Sid Vicious. He’s got a rare knack of becoming the person he’s acting out, right down to the way they look.

What is your biggest fear?

I dread being cornered by energy vampires. I’ll do a gig and I don’t mind hanging around talking to people. But I’m not comfortable with people who suck my energy without giving anything back.

Who or what do you dream about?

I always seem to be flying. I’ll be flapping my arms and flying high in the sky, looking down at everything that’s happening below. The sooner someone invents an affordable jet pack, the better. But you wouldn’t want too many people flying around after the pubs shut on a Friday night. The A&E departments would be overwhelmed.

Who do you most admire?

I greatly admired Tony Benn, a true man of principle. The quote that best summed him up is when he stood down from Parliament in 2001 and said he’d ‘have more time to devote to politics’. He cared deeply about making the world a better place. I’d cross paths with him occasionally in places like Glastonbury – always great company. Compared to Benn, all modern-day politicians are plastic puppets.

Tell us a secret about yourself.

I’m one of the world’s best drivers. I would never be able to match the speed of Lewis Hamilton or Jenson Button but those guys wouldn’t be able to get around London as skilfully as I do. I’m a crafty driver. Like a great chess player, I can see three moves in advance. I’m also a very safe driver. I’ve only ever had one crash and that’s when I drove into the Aston Villa gates on purpose. I wanted a Villa dent in my new Jag. It was my way of baptising the car.

What’s the worst thing anybody ever said about you?

When he was controller of Radio 3, John Drummond described me as the Liberace of the Nineties. I took great exception to that and responded by saying that it showed the typical arrogance of a self-appointed guardian of the arts world. It turned into a long-running spat and I was banned from the BBC Proms for years. 

What has been your biggest achievement?

I’m proud of the fact that my kid is comfortable in his own skin and gets on well with people. Sark is 17 now and it gives me immense satisfaction to see that he’s pointed in the right direction.

Nigel Kennedy plays London’s Roundhouse on May 17 and is then on tour in June and July. nigel-kennedy.net

Offline Dlp

« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2014, 10:36:37 PM »
think if you have a 'public' image you should be banned from supporting a team.. fair play to cameron but i don't want him anywhere near a villa match. same for kennedy who i remember back in the day as a posh voiced boy rather as some cockerny geezer, and prince william who's probably been erm a posh voiced boy since day 1. Actually i have rather have some sympathy for HR William - on a loser whoever he supports. god knows how manc's cope with the flotsum and jetsum that attach themselves with their club but them most of 'em are about as manc as i am.

Your attempts at trolling are becoming far to obvious these days, you really should try harder.

But using your passion for such is extremely disrespectful to Nigel Kennedy who apart from being a world renowned Violin player has more support for the club he loves in a day's growth of his his little finger nail than you have or will have in your life time.
I met NK after a game two years ago in the Barton arms. Thoroughly bloody nice bloke who had managed to drag along the rest of his orchestra to the game too. Fair play to him for going to the games when he can

I met him outside Walkbout before the game on Sunday and yes, he was an absolute gent. He can come to as many games as he likes as far as i'm concerned.

A few years back I actually sat next to him at an away game at Charlton. He was with his wife and kids, in among us "joe public" supporters. He's a really nice down to earth guy. He could have easily blagged tickets in the directors box, but would rather be with the supporters where he does not have to watch what he says or does.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2014, 07:53:12 PM »
Add the current Italy manager Prandelli to the list of Villa fans. I hope by being at a game next season it is because he will be the manager after our multi billion £ takeover and buys the Italian back four, Balotelli and De Rossi.

Prandelli is a Villa fan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal