collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Saturday's game - the situation from WMP.  (Read 34586 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Saturday's game - the situation from WMP.
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:02:58 PM »
No solid news. As of now it's still on, but that's being reviewed day by day. Once a decision is made supporters will be informed. 

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Saturday's game - the situation from WMP.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:03:37 PM »
Cheers dave I have a ticket for the game I'm hopeing it stay's on let's just pray the riots stop.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:35:12 PM »
Well there are some nice shops to loot in west london at least. No JJB for me, I shall be bricking the windows of Prada.

Offline Barry Shaw

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:46:29 PM »
I'm currently sat in my office in Wimbledon and all stores have been closed by the police and in Kingston too. Maybe nothing will happen tonight but the intelligence police have is that it may. I can see London games being cancelled as the threat to have so many police away from the potential looting hot spots will be big at the weekend I would have guessed?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:17:52 PM »
What's the betting that if football matches do go ahead, then the idiots of the last few nights will use them as an excuse to cause even more trouble?

Online rogfromb6

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:31:56 PM »
I'm currently sat in my office in Wimbledon and all stores have been closed by the police and in Kingston too. Maybe nothing will happen tonight but the intelligence police have is that it may. I can see London games being cancelled as the threat to have so many police away from the potential looting hot spots will be big at the weekend I would have guessed?

I also work in Wimbledon. We were sent home at lunch time. Everything was closing up as I left to get my train.

Just the suggestion that there might be rioting in Wimbledon is unbelievable. It's not exactly the front line! Fulham isn't too far away and I can't imagine the situation is any different there. If the situation doesn't improve over the next couple of days I can't see the game going ahead.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 05:05:19 PM »
Gah!  Wait an entire summer for football to come back and then a couple of bored kids with a box of matches ruin everything (potentially).

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
Football writer Henry Winter has tweeted that he expects all London games to be postponed.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 05:52:44 PM »
I expect all London games to be played this weekend and I am prepared to take bets on that. Any takers?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 05:55:33 PM »
If by Saturday all London games to be played in broad daylight are postponed then we must be really in trouble. Can't see it happening though.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 06:19:59 PM »
I suppose the football authorities want to make an early decision,but a lot will depend on what happens tonight on the streets,if its anything like last night then the games could be in doubt,especially as some coppers have been working hours on end.

I imagine it'll be and all or nothing decision concerning the games in London.

Online KRS

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »
The riots are spreading across the country with people being sent home early in Birmingham and Tamworth today due to predicted riots from what I've been told. The police dont have enough resources to cover games and riots in London, so they would be neglegent to allow the games to go ahead without sufficient cover for any potential riots in the capital. Look at it this way, if you were a rioter and knew that a large portion of the police force were covering football matches, then you'd think the best day to hit the streets would be this weekend. I wouldnt at all be surprised to see the army getting dragged into this on the weekend.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 06:44:39 PM »
From what I've been hearing on Sky News, I doubt that any game sin London will go ahead

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 06:46:12 PM »
If by Saturday all London games to be played in broad daylight are postponed then we must be really in trouble. Can't see it happening though.

Its not about the fear of trouble at the games, the problem is the cops may be needed elsewhere in the evening/night and have to have some rest time

Offline nuninho

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 07:15:39 PM »
Would Fulham and Villa be classed as a low category game?  Is there previous between the two?

Would that improve our chances of the game being played?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal