collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Women and the offside rule - Andy Gray sacked  (Read 220105 times)

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
Re: Women and the offside rule - Andy Gray sacked
« Reply #855 on: February 03, 2011, 01:13:55 PM »
On a related point, why hasn't the BBC sacked Clarkson and his pair of poodles from Top Gear, for making racist jibes against Mexicans? How come it's been relatively overlooked in the media? Is it because it's impossible to be racist against Mexicans? Can the government issue a list of nationalities we can perpetuate stereotypes about, please, because I'm getting confused. I'm pretty sure I'd be hanged if I applied what they said to Jamaicans, for example, but I think Eskimos and the Welsh are fair game. I'm not sure. Can anyone help?

I saw that on the news yesterday, it was not even said off-camera either.

Perhaps there are no dark forces at the BBC wanting them out, sack them for being smug fuckers not just racist ones.

I can't stand old poodle head Clarkson but amazingly he's not the one I hate the most on that programme (which I very rarely happen to see), his dwarf like 'comedy' sidekick brings out violent urges in me.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #856 on: February 03, 2011, 01:24:40 PM »
Hammond looks a bit mentally unstable if you ask me, he's never been right since he had that accident.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #857 on: February 03, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »
Hammond looks a bit mentally unstable if you ask me, he's never been right since he had that accident.

It was just up the road from me. I was never questioned about the 'accident'.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #858 on: February 03, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »

It has certainly had an impact on him.

His dress sense is terrible, that hideous necklace thing and those full length leather jackets, combined with the 80s soft rock hairstyle ... what a look.

It has also made him an even more irritating twat than he was before.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #859 on: February 03, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »
who do you think would win in a fight between a poodle and a hamster ?

I'm hoping for a DEAD  heat  !

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #860 on: February 03, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »

It has certainly had an impact on him.

His dress sense is terrible, that hideous necklace thing and those full length leather jackets, combined with the 80s soft rock hairstyle ... what a look.

It has also made him an even more irritating twat than he was before.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Stewart Lee's routine about Top Gear is really superb.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #861 on: February 03, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Stewart Lee's routine about Top Gear is really superb.

Marvellous.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:46:29 PM by Dave Cooper »

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #862 on: February 03, 2011, 02:10:01 PM »
On a related point, why hasn't the BBC sacked Clarkson and his pair of poodles from Top Gear, for making racist jibes against Mexicans? How come it's been relatively overlooked in the media? Is it because it's impossible to be racist against Mexicans? Can the government issue a list of nationalities we can perpetuate stereotypes about, please, because I'm getting confused. I'm pretty sure I'd be hanged if I applied what they said to Jamaicans, for example, but I think Eskimos and the Welsh are fair game. I'm not sure. Can anyone help?

I'm pretty certain Clarkson and Top Gear make money for the BBC. While he's useful, they'll keep him around.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #863 on: February 03, 2011, 02:58:46 PM »
Where is the line drawn... any generic "comedic" comments can be taken out of context. We'll be banning a lot of comedy if this is the case, let alone giving people like Frankie Boyle their own TV shows.

Although, as soon as he said it it was obvious it was going to draw comparisons with the comments from Gray and Monkeychops.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #864 on: February 03, 2011, 03:05:44 PM »

I'm pretty certain Clarkson and Top Gear make money for the BBC. While he's useful, they'll keep him around.

Too true, plus the fact that it was said in a different context and as such a defence, if needed, could be launched.

This is the biggest issue surrounding the whole thing. What Keys and Gray said, despite what some may claim was utterly serious. It wasn't jovial or humorous, it was 2 blokes bemoaning the fact that women were involved in officiating football matches.

Top Gear is a light hearted entertainment show that is not meant to be taken seriously, including comments therein. The same applies to the Soccerette on Sky, the claptap spouted on Loose Women etc etc.

There is a marked difference. Thats why Gray and Keys are out of a job and Hammond isn't.

Just for the record, I can't abide Top Gear or the wankers who are on it.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #865 on: February 03, 2011, 04:19:53 PM »
I like Top Gear, it is mindless entertainment, and Nev you hit the nail with the context and the meaning behind the comments. People can poke easy fun at the 3 that present Top Gear and call for their sacking for saying outrageous things, but every stand up comic in the country will be finished if you start sacking people for making jokes at the expense of others. The difference is Gray and Keys believed what they were saying was true, it was vindictive. Completely different to the comments made on Top Gear.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #866 on: February 03, 2011, 05:19:46 PM »
I like Top Gear as well. I do wonder if we are becoming a nation that likes to be offended by the slightest thing.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #867 on: February 03, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »
I like Top Gear as well. I do wonder if we are becoming a nation that likes to be offended by the slightest thing.

How dare you? Handbags at 8 paces.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #868 on: February 03, 2011, 05:24:02 PM »
Louis Vitton or Dolce Gabana?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #869 on: February 03, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »

I'm not offended by Top Gear I just think that the 3 who present it are a bunch of boorish, smug, unfunny wankers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal