collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:36:52 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 09:36:52 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:36:47 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Forge10
[Today at 09:35:47 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:35:33 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:33:26 PM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by Deano's Mullet
[Today at 09:32:46 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 09:31:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Women and the offside rule - Andy Gray sacked  (Read 220087 times)

Offline VillaZogmariner

Women and the offside rule - Andy Gray sacked
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:24:26 AM »
...according to Keys and Gray, allegedly.

Sky Sports presenters Andy Gray and Richard Keys were at the centre of a sexism row last night after they questioned whether a female
linesman knew the offside rule during a Premier League football match.

The commentators, who apparently believed their microphones were switched off, were recorded making disparaging remarks about Sian Massey, 25, before Liverpool’s Premiership clash with Wolves yesterday.

They also criticised Apprentice star and West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady who had yesterday written about sexism in a newspaper column.
Commenting on Ms Massey, Mr Keys said: ‘Somebody better get down there and explain offside to her.’

Mr Gray, a former Scottish international footballer, replied: ‘Can you believe that? A female linesman. Women don’t know the offside rule.’
Mr Keys replied: ‘Course they don’t. I can guarantee you there will be a big one today. Kenny (Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish) will go potty. This isn’t the first time, is it? Didn’t we have one before?’

Later in the exchange, Mr Keys said: ‘The game’s gone mad. Did you hear charming Karren Brady this morning complaining about sexism? Do me a favour, love.’

Ms Brady had said she had ‘experienced sexism at its rankest, lies about my personal life and a level of calculated mischief that is simply appalling’.

Asked about the pundits’ remarks, she said: ‘I think this just sums up everything I said in my column.’

During the game, which Liverpool won 3-0, Ms Massey angered Wolves by refusing to rule Raul Meireles offside before he set up Liverpool’s first goal. The replay showed that she made the correct decision.

When The Mail on Sunday put the transcript to Mr Keys, he said: ‘I have no recollection of that. I have no idea what you are talking about.

'My recollection is that I wished the young lady all the best.’

When told a recording existed of the conversation, he said: ‘If you have a tape then you don’t need me to talk to you.’

Last night The Mail on Sunday sent a transcript and a copy of the recording to a Sky Sports spokeswoman.

She was not able to confirm or deny the veracity of the clip, which was provided to this newspaper by an anonymous source.

Mr Gray could not be reached last night.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Women don't know the offside rule...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:32:17 AM »
Everyone seems to have missed the irony of Brady's comments regarding sexism and the disparaging treatment of women being printed in The Sun.

As for the other two bozo's, it's hardly a surprise that they have such views.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:47:07 AM »
If Bigot Ron has to resign for racist comments, they have to resign for sexist comments.

Good riddance.

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:42:05 PM »
Dint Rodney Marsh get sacked for something far less?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 12:44:41 PM »

Hardly. He made a tasteless joke about tsunami disaster. It was far worse than anything Gray and Keys said.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
Everyone seems to have missed the irony of Brady's comments regarding sexism and the disparaging treatment of women being printed in The Sun.

As for the other two bozo's, it's hardly a surprise that they have such views.

There is also the irony of her appearing in a red top (NOTW?) in her skimpies for an indepth interview of her shagging a player (no not Horsfield but Pesch) soon after she started at the club. Plus also working for two people who have made their fortunes exploiting women.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 12:56:48 PM »
Can't stand Karen Brady.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »
The lineswoman in question got the big decision in the game right. Would much rather have her on the pitch than some twat like Mark Halsey.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 01:19:08 PM »
If the above is correct then Keys and Gray deserve a couple of week's suspension at the least.

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »
The irony of football, is when there can be many sexist songs etc. sung, you will also get loads of men shouting to an attractive woman to "get out the fucking way" if they are blocking the view of the game.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »

Hardly. He made a tasteless joke about tsunami disaster. It was far worse than anything Gray and Keys said.

As much as I can't stand Marsh, his tasteless joke was little more than a play on words involving 'tsunami' and 'toon army'. Hardly a sacking offence. It's typical of our society, though. People can't wait to shoot somebody else down for their perceived 'racism', 'sexism' or 'insensitivity'. As if there isn't a little bit of all those things in all of us. 

Online Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
I'd struggle to explain the offside rule. Wish Gray & Keys had said something far more controversial and unexpected, used foul language etc which would have resulted in Sky at least disciplining them and having to issue a public apology.

Offline koreanmeatballs

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »
Whatever your view is on it, Richard Keys saying to Karen Brady

'Do me a favour love' regarding her views on sexism is comical genius. Give that man a pay rise.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 02:28:31 PM »
dont worry lizz. I bet you keys and gray also dont understand the offside law, as dont most of the players/spectors etc.
I spent over 10 yrs officiating at non-league/semi-pro level, and i can assure you, very few know the laws, let alone offside!!

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »
Ironic that the lineswoman got a crucial offside decision spot on!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal