collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Women and the offside rule - Andy Gray sacked  (Read 220110 times)

Offline 1_Pablo_Angel

Re: Women and the offside rule - Andy Gray sacked
« Reply #840 on: January 29, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »
Quote from: Karen brady
This is not about an apology to me, but about an apology to all women. Richard represents views that myself and those who work in the business of football find totally dinosaur.
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!

Please please please please please can stupid people in the public eye stop trying to make themselves sound more intelligent and more important by replacing "I" with "myself" when they're trying to make a point?

Otherwise, I generally agree with her.

I'm pretty sure 'dinosaur' isn't an adjective either. Prehistoric maybe.

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #841 on: January 29, 2011, 02:41:08 PM »
Quote from: Karen brady
This is not about an apology to me, but about an apology to all women. Richard represents views that myself and those who work in the business of football find totally dinosaur.
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!

Please please please please please can stupid people in the public eye stop trying to make themselves sound more intelligent and more important by replacing "I" with "myself" when they're trying to make a point?

Otherwise, I generally agree with her.

I'm pretty sure 'dinosaur' isn't an adjective either. Prehistoric maybe.
I did notice that, but I can ignore it as it's a careless mistake made by someone rambling on. The replacement of I with myself is a more systematic and ever increasing error made in interviews and on the radio.

If you listen to TalkSport, someone will do it at least once per hour. Danny Kelly, an otherwise decent vj, is one of the worst culprits.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #842 on: January 29, 2011, 04:28:40 PM »
I see Redknapp's ex has emerged to sniff around for cash. Consulting lawyers apparently.

Everyone seems to be consulting lawyers this week.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #843 on: January 29, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
And for those who thought Gray was at least a decent pundit, this from the Guardian's secret footballer might give you reason for thought:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/29/secret-footballer-andy-gray-pundits

There's some really interesting stuff in there about the way modern football works as well. Kind of makes you wonder how MON did as well as he did, given his aversion to training.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #844 on: January 29, 2011, 07:53:10 PM »
Never found Gray particularly insightful as a pundit, and his artificial attempts in latter years to generate a bit of drama by growling more were particularly off-putting. As were the occasional Talksport-like spats with his hairy friend Cornelius.

Compare and contrast with someone like Shane Warne who- despite also being a bit of a tool- often has something interesting to say, a different slant on accepted cricket wisdom.

You watch for the sport primarily, that's one thing by the sounds of it Gray and Keys never cottoned on to. But a decent pundit/ expert can enhance the experience.

Gray, Keys, Hansen, Lawro, Lineker and co definitely don't. Their analysis often sounds like clubhouse banter, as if you've unwittingly stumbled across the golfing weekend from hell. Pile of wank.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #845 on: January 29, 2011, 07:58:48 PM »
Amen, KG.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #846 on: January 29, 2011, 08:00:38 PM »
Never found Gray particularly insightful as a pundit
And quite often called refereeing decisions wrong. Didn't seem to have the greatest grasp of the rules, did the Scottish Sid the Sexist.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #847 on: January 29, 2011, 09:18:38 PM »
This saga to me is reminiscent of the Andy Coulson/Conservative Party recent whatever it was was upset. Once the commentators/communications director become more prominent than the subject matter, maybe it's time to move on. I've made more contributions to this thread than is healthy, but the fact that we're discussing Gray/Keys rather than matches, kind of sums up how Sky has intentionally or otherwise manipulated public thinking.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #848 on: January 29, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »
I like the analisys side of the game, occaisinally you get a pundit with some level of insight< Hoddle sometimes manages it, match of the day before sky used to do some stuff, the biggest idiot though has to be Jamie Rednapp, he has absoloutely no idea

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Sky
« Reply #849 on: January 30, 2011, 03:58:59 AM »
Why were some moronic Villa fans singing for Andy Gray today? Oh, I've answered my own question.

Offline AV1874

• GM : Jul, 2012
« Reply #850 on: January 30, 2011, 10:28:26 PM »
And quite often called refereeing decisions wrong. Didn't seem to have the greatest grasp of the rules, did the Scottish Sid the Sexist.

It wouldn't be right if commentators did call refereeing decisions correctly, it would give us nothing to whinge and complain about.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #851 on: February 03, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »
On a related point, why hasn't the BBC sacked Clarkson and his pair of poodles from Top Gear, for making racist jibes against Mexicans? How come it's been relatively overlooked in the media? Is it because it's impossible to be racist against Mexicans? Can the government issue a list of nationalities we can perpetuate stereotypes about, please, because I'm getting confused. I'm pretty sure I'd be hanged if I applied what they said to Jamaicans, for example, but I think Eskimos and the Welsh are fair game. I'm not sure. Can anyone help?

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #852 on: February 03, 2011, 01:04:38 PM »
Do you think Gray is now sitting at home with a massive screen. Looking at tactics "off" the pitch. And trying to analise where he went wrong. Would be interesting viewing ......

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #853 on: February 03, 2011, 01:08:07 PM »

made me laugh really out loud !! excellent Ger Regan

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #854 on: February 03, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »
On a related point, why hasn't the BBC sacked Clarkson and his pair of poodles from Top Gear, for making racist jibes against Mexicans? How come it's been relatively overlooked in the media? Is it because it's impossible to be racist against Mexicans? Can the government issue a list of nationalities we can perpetuate stereotypes about, please, because I'm getting confused. I'm pretty sure I'd be hanged if I applied what they said to Jamaicans, for example, but I think Eskimos and the Welsh are fair game. I'm not sure. Can anyone help?

I saw that on the news yesterday, it was not even said off-camera either.

Perhaps there are no dark forces at the BBC wanting them out, sack them for being smug fuckers not just racist ones.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal