collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 435121 times)

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »
Any manager who had come in at a time when GH did would still be in this position. We keep saying MON had hand picked these players to play HIS way then left with everyone one of HIS staff. Unless we were to have a MON clone how else is anyone can a manager get anything out of these players?
I'm not happy at all, and maybe if GH had came in at the start of summer and we were in this position I would be very worried.
It really is a case and see what happens between now and the summer.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2010, 09:12:07 AM »
I've heard from a really reliable source that randy is in talks with Pep Guardiola. Apparently he's a massive fan of the villa and thinks Birmingham is just like Barcelona and the catalan language is just like that of the typical brummie....

... And then I woke up and had my breakfast. People can't judge GH on what's happened now. He need time. The whole season at the very least. Ppl have said on here that MON was good at getting the best out of mediocre players. Well maybe it's time to ship out those mediocre players and get ones in that can play proper
Football and move us forward. I don't want GH to be the man manager of MON. I want him to have the right squad to face the opposition and to tactically change the way we play if we need to. GH will give us that when he has shipped out the players that don't want to be here and when he's got his own set in. Sacking him now is insane. It will bring the club into more disarray, kiss good bye to ashley young and a few others. As well has any other half decent managers not wanting to touch us with a barge pole. We'll only be able to attract the likes of the mercenaries like Big Sam, sparky, curbs etc who are happy with mid table because it's safe, they pick up their pay check quite happily without really being tested. Because they know they're not good enough to push up higher.

Offline GADS

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2010, 09:14:54 AM »
I understand the idea of letting him bring in his own players and the injury situation however i would like to see the back of him as i don't think he understands what the role of managing aston villa is. He constantly blames bad luck and seems to have tried to alienate as many people as possible. We seem to have no plan or tactics for a game and always look like conceding. The worst thing personally for me though is he doesn't seem to want to connect with the fans and the club. He is beginning to make DOL look like a PR genius and if he doesn't go soon will cause us damage that will take years to recover from

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2010, 09:15:32 AM »
Give him the season at least.  It wont be pretty this season but itg going to take a transfer window or two to sort out the mess.

Offline achilles

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2010, 09:21:01 AM »
The worrying aspect for me is that the current players aren't playing anywhere near there potential. Who's fault is that? The current players are good enough for at least mid-table but they look totally devoid of ideas, passion or ability!

Ultimately we have no choice but to give him till the end of the season but I confess that he certainly does not inspire me to believe he is the man for the job long term!

Offline supertom

« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »
What worries me about Houllier is how he's changed how he wants to play, in comparison to his beloved Liverpool days. I've spoken to kop fans who absolutely hated the way they played under him. They have a certain fondness for him because he got them a 2nd place finish and some trophies, but the football was awful.

He'd sit his team very deep, and defend resolutely, before hitting on the break. Quick, one touch passing football wasn't his game either. So quite why he's chosen this way for us I don't know. There was a fair amount of long ball football under Houllier for the reds too. Okay that deep lying counter game works well with the cutting edge players like Gerrard and Owen gave them. Heskey was always a good outlet to play off as well.

So why has he not gone this route with the Villa? We're so open at the back. It's frightening. We never look very dangerous on the counter either, despite having a team with plenty of pace.

Okay, we lack a top class midfielder, and a proper finisher, so maybe that's in his thinking. But still. What Houllier always prided himself on, a rock hard defence, and players busting a gut to strangle out and ruin matches, and nick wins, is totally missing.

The worst part? An old style Houllier, has players here far more suited, to what the new Houllier is currently trying to do. Could we look less effective up front? Not really. Could we look better at the back? Hell yes.

How much of a part did Phil Thompson play in their defensive resoluteness back then? Evidently quite a bit. What the frig is McCallister here for?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2010, 09:28:16 AM »
I suggest the people who want to sack our manager after just 3 months and the first sign of problems in 4 1/2 years go and follow Man U, I am sure you will be more happy and content there.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2010, 09:33:45 AM »
I don't want him to be sacked as I want him to clear out some players and bring in some hot players from France or other country. Then we will get better, if not our next manager will have a wonderful crop of players to work with :) Beside who can we appoint at the moment. Jol, Allayarce, Houghton, McGee (LOL)

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2010, 09:37:05 AM »
This is getting pathetic guys, your all over reacting, Lerner hasn't spent this year, because in the summer we spent weeks waiting for the Milner deal to happen, then Oneil left meaning we ha no manager to buy players.

People saying this is as good as it gets under Lerner is pathetic, let's wait till next month and see if Lerner will back the club.

People forget Houllier hasn't bought one player, Pires apart.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2010, 09:37:33 AM »
IF GH has the stomach for the fight and the rebuilding i would back hiom 100%

i like the fact he's brave with selections and not predictable. i like the better passing and possesion game we are trying to play. i also like the way he's ruffled a few senior players feathers,

i think he believes in the youngsters we have, and i would like to see him keep faith in them even through the rocky times as they will learn and develop more,

i would stil rather see Delph, Bannan, Hogg, Albrighton, Clarke in our midfield than Sidwell, NRC and maybe even Petrov, but it means being brave and taking a lot of shit while you bring them through,
i dont think we will be in any danger of going down come the end of season, but time will tell on that one,

would still rather have Houllier than MON art the club, as i think he can take the club forward and build something quite good given a bit of time and backing

we do need a striker that can score some goals though, all are forwards have different attributes, but none of them have the attribute of actually scoring enough goals,
Houllier needs to address this if he can ASAP

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2010, 09:38:56 AM »
For the sake of continuity we need to give him the January transfer window.

I don't think we'll go down, but it won't be easy, and I am certainly not feeling confident in Houllier as our Manager for the long haul.

Watch this space.......

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2010, 09:39:39 AM »
I would give him until the end of the season at least we have got to see who he buy's in the january transfer window he as had no luck with injuries this season so i would give him time you can see he is playing proper football we will get there let's just have patience.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2010, 10:07:09 AM »
I'm not usually a frettter, but it's apparent that Houllier's not the right man for the job, so I think it's time for the board to take immediate action.  Get rid now, and get the right man for the job. 

The right man is Owen Coyle.  Ok so allegedly he's a Bolton Man.  But if we offer the right money we will get him

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »
I'm not usually a frettter, but it's apparent that Houllier's not the right man for the job, so I think it's time for the board to take immediate action.  Get rid now, and get the right man for the job. 

The right man is Owen Coyle.  Ok so allegedly he's a Bolton Man.  But if we offer the right money we will get him

A real loyal manager there!! What a joke his results were terrible when he went to Bolton, now he has had time to settle and a full pre season they are playing well.

People need to realise if houllier is allowed to run Villa the way he wants, we have a manager who can attract young talented players the likes of Coyle etc couldn't!

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2010, 10:19:15 AM »
Replace him now with Alex McLeish.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal