collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 06:55:20 PM]

Robin Olsen by olaftab
[Today at 06:53:59 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by spangley1812
[Today at 06:53:39 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 06:50:36 PM]

Champions League Contention by olaftab
[Today at 06:36:06 PM]

VAR by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:35:46 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 06:20:06 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Tayls_7
[Today at 06:12:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 437171 times)

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2010, 11:54:18 PM »
Who is in the market now that might fix our problems and at the very best, stay in the EPL?

That makes most sense as a rhetorical question.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2010, 11:59:58 PM »
I know this should be about Houllier but would we be in this position if Randy had spent some Pounds when it mattered on getting or retaining certain players re:Milner. I voted to give GH a transfer window at least but after watching the loss to Spurs, I'm really worried. Who is in the market now that might fix our problems and at the very best, stay in the EPL?
Randy has spent millions, MoN fucked it up so Randy had to balance the books.  MoN couldn't hack it so fucked off and left us in the shit.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2010, 12:12:01 AM »

Randy has spent millions, MoN fucked it up so Randy had to balance the books.  MoN couldn't hack it so fucked off and left us in the shit.

That's a pretty good summing up.  Now it looks like Houllier is going to finish the job of messing it up.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2010, 12:28:04 AM »
I actually think Randy got himself a H&V log in, read one of the famous accounts threads and went “WTF???!!!??” when he realised Spurs had a bigger and better squad than us, but paid less in wages for it and decided that perhaps £12 million on McGeady wasn't a good idea.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2010, 01:20:03 AM »
Where's the "give him this year and next" option? Ludicrously early to be writin him off, ludicrously early. This is a long-term project, we have to have patience.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2010, 01:33:29 AM »
We are paying the price for making a panic appointment...if we panic again, it could get worse, depends on who we get. I would never have appointed him and would have got rid a few weeks ago, but now we are just too close to the transfer window to fire him now. It would be the same situation as September with the new manager having no time to buy. We just have to pray and hope that he doesn't take us down and then get a new manager in the summer.

Offline regular_john

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2010, 01:49:05 AM »
Everything is shit at the minute because we have a squad low on fitness, low on motivation and low on technical ability. I can't judge Houllier for the injury list we currently have, which is the worst I've ever known, and I can't judge him for the average footballers left for him by the previous manager, I can however judge him for not properly motivating the players, which is something he needs to rectify quickly.

This squad needs ripping up and re-building, let's at least give Houllier chance to do that before we sharpen the knives eh?

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2010, 02:15:05 AM »
We are paying the price for making a panic appointment...if we panic again, it could get worse, depends on who we get. I would never have appointed him and would have got rid a few weeks ago, but now we are just too close to the transfer window to fire him now. It would be the same situation as September with the new manager having no time to buy. We just have to pray and hope that he doesn't take us down and then get a new manager in the summer.
Panic appointment?! It took us well over a month to bring him in.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2010, 02:18:09 AM »
I started the thread relatively early because of the over the top negative comments on the after match comments. Glad to see commonsense is restored, there was no longer term than the end of the season because i presumed if we were relegated GED wouldn't be with us anyway. I would think the manager is a worried man because of the lack of quality we have in the side. I take you back to when we were esconced in the top four was it seven points above Arsenal? and all we needed was one or two decent players in January to keep us in it. The rest is history, i want a manager who will have the confidence to look beyong british borders for good players, at the moment GH is that man, give him time and a little patience.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2010, 03:47:48 AM »
yes, it took a month, but nothing was in place. Mon had gone and taken his staff, Lerner and his staff had never really experienced such a situation and had never recruited a manager. Good old Gerard was there to charm and calm the nerves...but for me it was still very much a panic appointment.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2010, 03:53:17 AM »
Haven't read the thread but I said at the time of his appointment: give him the season and if he hasn't shown he's the man for the job, go and get David Moyes.

Although I certainly don't think todays the day for this thread, I thought we played really well.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2010, 04:37:07 AM »
I say burn him as sacking isn't enough, and bring in Allardyce, Hughton, Holloway or Warnock.

This makes me want to cry :(

Everytime an Allardyce team scores a goal a kitten dies. Its true and everything.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2010, 04:47:50 AM »
Where's the "give him this year and next" option? Ludicrously early to be writin him off, ludicrously early. This is a long-term project, we have to have patience.

Thing is Monty is that we're in roughly the same position as four years ago, minus the optimism.

I agree that its too early for talk of sacking GH though, the team that he was left and the wages they're on is nothing short of criminal considering the amount spent.

Offline Simba

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2010, 07:00:06 AM »
Who knows what is really going on in the dressing room? Something is amiss and I blame the coaching. Tactically we are all over the place when I actually think that due to the influx of a very talented group of youngsters we should be getting results with the squad we have.

GH should have time to create his own brand of football with his own choice of players but I would rid ourselves of McCallister immediately. I don't think that there would be complaints from the players.

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2010, 08:40:01 AM »

Fair enough, is relegation part of the long term plan? Get rid of Young and the rest of the high earners and start from scratch? I think it's very admirable of Gabby by signing a new contract but if ever somebodies career needed a kickstart with a change of club it's his......

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal