collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:33:36 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:33:23 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:31:35 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Gareth
[Today at 09:31:25 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by dave.woodhall
[Today at 09:25:33 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:21:03 AM]

Lucas Digne - Signed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:18:49 AM]

Champions League Contention by rob_bridge
[Today at 09:13:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 437154 times)

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »
The bit I'm struggling with is how come GH / GM have pissed off so many players so quickly ? and is it retrievable

Carew for example is a great player when he wants to be, we could do with him out there now
A great player? NO, a good player when he wants to be which isn't often enough, I dont think he wants to be here, he never stays at any club to long.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2010, 11:54:39 AM »
If we're going to get rid now, I wouldn't appoint a Jol or an Allardyce, instead let Kevin Mac, Tony Mac and Sid steady the ship, regroup the squad and get us through to May
Kevin Mc is great with the kids/reserves, he made us look world beaters against wet spam but look at that shambolic display/result at Newcastle

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2010, 11:58:18 AM »
There were a few shouting "Houllier Out" at the end of the game yesterday. If the next 2 go as expected then that could be a few hundred if the Sunderland game goes badly.

Personally I think he has to be given at least until the end of the season.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2010, 12:02:44 PM »
Kevin Mac are you kidding, the main problem Houllier has had is with players that won't toe the line and need getting rid of, KM has no experience of handling big ego's he would have been overwhelmed.
The big thing GH has got is connections, what players would KM attract?

Online JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2010, 12:05:17 PM »
Yeah there were a few 'out' calls by me too (lower holte), it's certainly getting bigger.

At the time of his appointment I wanted him to have the season and thought Moyes might be gettable next Summer. Coyle is now a possibility too.

Give him the window, let him replace the senior players and see what happens. There's three senior players (Dunne, Ireland, Carew) who aren't worth anything to us at the moment, and another couple (Collins, Gabby) who are out of form. Mix in the injuries and the inconsistancy of the kids and it's no suprise. It's a shame the Wigan game was postponed, we'd have won that and been 9th...

Offline eastie

« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2010, 12:07:57 PM »
I think gerard has the knowhow to sort things out but I believe he has dropped a clanger in appointing mcallister who has been a flop in every coaching and managers job he has done- mac may have been a good player under houllier but as a coach I feel he is well below the quality needed.

The next month will be huge for us and randy must back the manager fully with cash as he needs to unload o neills trash and bring in some quality signings! Seeing houllier last night he looked jaded and stressed and I wonder if he is feeling the pressure - a great football man but I think maybe better suited to director of football- if GED feels he can handle the stress though I am happy for him to remain in the managers role.

As regards some calling for keV mac to be put in charge- if he had kept the job I'm convinced we would be as good as down by now, never have I seen such a shambles as keV macs brief reign and that includes the mcneill era!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:11:15 PM by east19 »

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2010, 12:12:34 PM »
There's something odd about Houllier that I think has an affect on the players.

Basically due to the type of work I am in (Catering) I know quite a few  'chefs' at Villa. Every match day Houllier is in early and sits down to lunch with the Directors and other VIPs for lunch a few hours before KO.

On 3 occasions this season, including yesterday (other times were West Brom and Chelsea) Mr Houllier has been in the room (either stayed since lunch or came back later on) with the Directors right up until moments before KO.

I think it's a bit odd that he doesn't really have much contact with the players just before games and leaves it all to Gary Mac and Sid.

Also another bit of exciting news concerning catering and Houllier, he eats at the training ground everyday with Mrs Houllier.

This is unbelieveable. Unbelieveable that you  forgot Rene and Edith ran a Cafe in France before being evacuated!

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2010, 12:15:24 PM »
The guy hasnt even had a transfer window yet , he was left with MON's overpaid deadwood  ;-( 

I would be more worried with the appointment of mcallister at the moment than Houlier , I wish we had bloody Phil thompson now.....       or maybe Wilkins
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:17:04 PM by JUAN PABLO »

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2010, 12:16:54 PM »
I'm not impressed by Houllier one iota and wish he wasn't our manager but we have to give him til the summer at least.  Changing managers now is a ceratin way to get relegated.  I would like to think he has all his ins and outs drawn up and will move quickly in January.  Survival is the one and only objective this season I'm afraid.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »

Movie Poster for the film 'Dumb and Dumber'

Gerard Houllier and Gary MacAllister
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:22:44 PM by eric woolban woolban »

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »
There were a few shouting "Houllier Out" at the end of the game yesterday. If the next 2 go as expected then that could be a few hundred if the Sunderland game goes badly.

Personally I think he has to be given at least until the end of the season.

There were a couple behind me, with mad popping eyes and smelling vaguely of sprouts.

But there is a very level headed chap sitting on our row who stood up and left as soon as he brought Pires on. When somebody like him has had enough, you know it's all getting a bit Winter of Discontent.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2010, 12:20:13 PM »
I say burn him as sacking isn't enough, and bring in Allardyce, Hughton, Holloway or Warnock.
It would certainly surprise him - I've been told the French were shocked we burnt Joan of Arc considering we boiled most things we ate.

I think TV was  more to "how would you like your steak Sir" and the French know that in England  it's mostly burnt!

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2010, 12:22:47 PM »
Given the squad Houllier inherited, the timing of his appointment and the number of injuries we've had, what did people expect?

If we'd won yesterday we'd have been sitting in 9th place 4 and 6 points behind the teams in 7th and 6th with a game in hand. This thread wouldn't have existed and everyone would have been happy.

Some on here have commented that players aren't happy and there is unrest at the training ground. Richard Dunne being the main culprit and one of the players most people have had a go at for being too fat and shit.

We were never going to achieve much this season given all of the problems but it's not fanciful to expect a half-decent run in the New Year.

Chill.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2010, 12:26:05 PM »
On the plus side, at least our season wont be ending in Feb this year.....

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2010, 12:27:03 PM »
Chill.

It's alright for you, you haven't got a Spurs fan staying in your house, eating all the boiled ham and predicting that Redknapp will swap David Bentley for Ashley Young

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal